Just bought Caffeine Ultra; Enlighten me (1st amp)
Feb 24, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #77 of 103
By the way, just to close the loop on my story, I did finally receive the Penguin Ultra. I ordered on approximately 1/28, my status was updated to "completed" as of 1/30, and I received the amp on approximately 2/15.

The wait was painful - especially with the lack of information and responses from Robert - but the quality amp made it worth the wait. The amp sounds great with both my Grado SR-80s and my Yuin PK3s, and I'm glad I sprung for the bass boost, as I find myself having it on more than off with my iPod.

Mar 1, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #78 of 103
Good to know Euckersw!
I'll consider getting one for myself!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #79 of 103
I'm glad to see the penguin amps have so many fans. I've had my penguin royal for nigh on 8 months or more now, and it just keeps getting better. As for delivery, 1 week from ordering it off ebay to my door, not too shabby for Germany to Australia.

All i will need to do soon is re-box it, time to go the diy section i think
wink.gif

Mar 4, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #80 of 103
Ok sorry for the wait, I've been having a very depressing month and nothings been good, hopefully things are brighter from now on.

SO I had to go out and buy a longer cable, and I put the Y cable it in the OUT MD
near the very left bottom of the receiver and plugged into line of the amp, and the headphones into the amp. But I'm getting no sound from the headphones and this also does NOT SILENCE my speakers
a feature of the headphone amp.

EDIT: Actually the radio seems to be the only sound source that will play from the the MD out.
Maybe because all of my sound sources are digital and the radio is analog? The MD /CDR doesnt let me switch from analog to digital. Even if I could, I won't do it, its inconvenient to do that everytime.
Also my 2 main sound sources ps3 and mac pro are digital only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too much information
biggrin.gif

I would just tell him the first part, so he isn't confused because the Caffeine doesn't record, it plays: Just do the line out of Pioneer into the input of the Caffeine. Using the "un-amplified" signal like tycobee says, means the hiss from the Pioneer built-in headphone amp is never heard again.

Mar 4, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #82 of 103
Quote:

So, the bad news is, you should (1) get a new receiver or (2) dedicate one source to connect directly to headphone amp only.

OH the sound quality out of the MD/CDR even though its radio is SO MUCH BETTER. I'm glad I was smart enough to not put on my headphones because the amplification is extremely loud. You did say UNAMPED? Crap it turned my headhones into loudspeakers. Next time warn people about their ears, I could of ended up deaf ya know.
I had the hp amp only at 9 o clock too. I had to turn it down to between 6/7 to get it to sound at a normal level.

Oh I'm ok with getting a new receiver, but I can't right now. Its costly to upgrade audio. I want a new TRUE DTS/DOLBY receiver to accommodate my new ongoing Blu Ray collection. I guess I will need to plop down over a grand though.

Mar 4, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #84 of 103
Quote:

Why not an under $400 Denon Audio Video Receiver with HDMI?

Does it have the latest Dolby Formats? I haven't heard of a good HT receiver with all the latest Dolby Uncompressed HD formats for $400 thats any good. Will that $400 receiver have a quiet hp amp as well?

Mar 4, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #85 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buster Sword /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it have the latest Dolby Formats? I haven't heard of a good HT receiver with all the latest Dolby Uncompressed HD formats for $400 thats any good. Will that $400 receiver have a quiet hp amp as well?

Denons have quiet headphone amps: This one
DENON AVR-1508 A/V Receiver @ ListenUp
seems to be missing THX Surround EX that is found in the $849 2308CI which has faroudja DCDi upconversion too. I also don't see DSD HDMI conversion listed, which is PS3 SACD playback via HDMI which the 2308CI does have. But, it has everything else for $349, including.

DSP Processors – Analog Devices, SHARC: ADSP 21367 x 1
Processor design: 32-bit floating point
Dolby Digital Surround EX decoding
Dolby Pro Logic IIx, with Cinema, Music and Game modes
dts ES Discrete 6.1
dts ES Matrix 6.1 decoding
dts Neo:6 Stereo-to-Surround Cinema and Music modes
dts 96/24 5.1 for DVD-Video processing
Neural Surround for XM-HD 5.1
Compressed Audio Restorer for portables/iPods/network audio

Audyssey MultiEQ auto setup calibration and room correction for 6 seating positions
Auto setup microphone included: New Y/Mold type
24-bit/192kHz DACs: Analog Devices ADAU1328
Analog-to-Digital conversion: 24/96
iPod ready with optional Denon D-dock
XM Satellite Radio ready – i.e. external “Mini-Tuner” compatible
HDMI 1.3a Switcher Inputs/Outputs – supports 1080p and Deep Color

So, if you need the HDMI DSD conversion, yes, the $849 Denon 2308CI is kinda pricey.

Mar 4, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #86 of 103
Thanks for that site but that model doesn't have the features.

But like I said i need the DTS master audio, and Dolby True HD.
How about Onkyo? Does it have clean headphone out?
Onkyo TX-SR805 Reviews

My mom needs a basic receiver and shes not audio savvy so basically I can give my pioneer to her and buy this Onkyo. No need to buy another cheap receiver.

Apr 2, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #88 of 103
Yes, like the OP, I did not get any message until my order got shipped. I sent an email before I got the "shipped" message, but got no reply. Anyway, I am happy that it is finally shipped. I am also happy to find this thread and thanks for information/experience you shared.

While I am waiting for my amp, I have a question about the adapter. I didn't buy their adapter, and according to the web page, I need a 14-18VDC adapter. I just happened to find that my laptop adapter is 16VDC with the exact plug. However, the output is listed as 4.5A. Since I know almost nothing about these things, my question is, can I use this adapter to power/charge my Lyrix? Will this damage the amp and so I will need an adapter with smaller current?

BTW, I've noticed that HeadphoneAddict has some Tenergy batteries. Are they good enough, or should I go for Powerex as many others do? Tenergy can fit in the battery compartment, right?

And oh, I found that the USB DAC cable is available now. How does it perform compared to other low price USB DAC?

Sorry about my many questions. I am just very happy, and this is also my first post here!
icon10.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #89 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by maxchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, like the OP, I did not get any message until my order got shipped. I sent an email before I got the "shipped" message, but got no reply. Anyway, I am happy that it is finally shipped. I am also happy to find this thread and thanks for information/experience you shared.

While I am waiting for my amp, I have a question about the adapter. I didn't buy their adapter, and according to the web page, I need a 14-18VDC adapter. I just happened to find that my laptop adapter is 16VDC with the exact plug. However, the output is listed as 4.5A. Since I know almost nothing about these things, my question is, can I use this adapter to power/charge my Lyrix? Will this damage the amp and so I will need an adapter with smaller current?

BTW, I've noticed that HeadphoneAddict has some Tenergy batteries. Are they good enough, or should I go for Powerex as many others do? Tenergy can fit in the battery compartment, right?

And oh, I found that the USB DAC cable is available now. How does it perform compared to other low price USB DAC?

Sorry about my many questions. I am just very happy, and this is also my first post here!
icon10.gif

I don't know about your laptop power adapter, but I have heard the power supply should only send the device as much ma as it needs/draws, and no more, unlike voltage where you can hurt it with too much.

I just used a Radio Shack universal 3-12v adjustable, 1000ma wallwart. It has a very stable output, and when I bought mine the recommended range for PenguinAmps was 9-18v, and mine is set for 12v. The ones Penguin sells I think are 16v (or used to be 16v), and I bought one of those too, for my Headstage Amp (that they also build).

Tenergy 9v fits, it's the only one I've used in my Sept 07 vintage Caffeine Pro.

The DAC is at least a 25% improvement over headphone out from my Macbook (which already has decent headphone out once I had a few hours of use on the Macbook). I still have to get around to testing my Behringer U-control USB DAC and Creative X-fi Xmod USB DAC (hasn't been a high priority).

Welcome to head-fi, and sorry about your wallet...
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #90 of 103
Quote:

I don't know about your laptop power adapter, but I have heard the power supply should only send the device as much ma as it needs/draws, and no more, unlike voltage where you can hurt it with too much.

That's sounds good. Since they don't list suggested mA for the adapter, I would tend to think that the mA is not important.

I did send an email to ask about this Tuesday, but haven't heard from them.

Quote:

I just used a Radio Shack universal 3-12v adjustable, 1000ma wallwart. It has a very stable output, and when I bought mine the recommended range for PenguinAmps was 9-18v, and mine is set for 12v. The ones Penguin sells I think are 16v (or used to be 16v), and I bought one of those too, for my Headstage Amp (that they also build).

I forgot to mention that my order is a Lyrix Pro (I said only in the title). It's too bad that it requires a 14-18V adapter which is harder to find than a 12V one, so I am happy that my laptop adapter would work!!

Quote:

Tenergy 9v fits, it's the only one I've used in my Sept 07 vintage Caffeine Pro.

So they also fit the Lyrix, I guess?

Quote:

The DAC is at least a 25% improvement over headphone out from my Macbook (which already has decent headphone out once I had a few hours of use on the Macbook). I still have to get around to testing my Behringer U-control USB DAC and Creative X-fi Xmod USB DAC (hasn't been a high priority).

Now I am VERY interested in the USA DAC...
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Welcome to head-fi, and sorry about your wallet...
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks a lot for the help here. But, yeah, my wallet...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back