Just bought Caffeine Ultra; Enlighten me (1st amp)
Jan 25, 2008 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 103

Buster Sword

500+ Head-Fier
I just bit the bullet on my FIRST headphone Amp.
If you are the maker of the Penguin Ultra Caffeine, or would like to say anything to hype me up til the day i receive my new AMP, please do
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm going to run these with my ATH-A900s and Pioneer VSX-815, through Mac Pro Sound output, digital.

I hope by getting this I should improve midrange definition and balance.

I've read about the Opamp, and also this page
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...-lyrix-262751/

If there is anything more,
Inform me. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

What commercial product does it compare to? And how much is that commercial product? On the ebay page it says it can match a $200 commercial player.

Jan 25, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #2 of 103
I am also very interested in the Ultra Caffeine & what people have to say about it. HeadphoneAddict's review definitely intrigued me. It could be just what I'm looking for, for portable use. Any info would be great...otherwise, Buster Sword, you're going to have to tell me all about it once you receive yours'!

Jan 28, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 103
Since ordering on Thursday I am still waiting for an email response and tracking information. I emailed the Penguin maker today requesting information and if signature is necessary, and when he will be available to mail the item to me.

Take note that we live in the Same state of California.

Take note if you are ordering for him, just reporting on his response time.
I'll let you guys know when I receive the item.

Jan 29, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buster Sword /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope by getting this I should improve midrange definition and balance.

I've read about the Opamp, and also this page
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...-lyrix-262751/

I have owned the Caffeine for about 2 months and enjoy it very much. It is the only headphone amplifier I own so I can't compare it to any of the others. I did read every review I could find on this board before buying it and thought it would be a good introduction to the world of headphone amplifiers.

There are three ways I use it. 1) connected to the line out on a Panasonic portable CD Player, 2) connected to my laptop through the USB DAC also sold by same company and 3) connected to the headphone output of a Zune or Cowon D2. They all give excellent results with the Caffeine but the CD player is the best source. The Zune, Laptop and D2 all have the highest bitrate VBR WMA files. They sound good but some of the detail is missing when compared to the CD source.

The headphones used include Etymotic ER-4P's, Shure E4's and Dennon D1000's. The Ety's really benefit from the bass boost and still retain the fine detail in the mids and highs. The Dennon's don't need the bass boost. The Shures need all the bass boost they can get.

Overall, the best description I can give of the sound improvement with the Caffeine over the hp out of the Zune and D2 is a more open soundstage and more bass impact. It is a sweet sounding amp. There may be better amps out there but I am wondering how much more you would need to spend to get a significant improvement. I am sure I will get another amp just out of curiousity, not because I am dissatisfied with the Caffeine. I think it is a very good value.

Anyhoo.. I don't think you will be dissapointed.

Jan 29, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #9 of 103
Thanks for your impressions & all of the good info, GnuB! I know I'm going to end up getting one, so I might just as well bite the bullet & hit that "Buy It Now" button!

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #10 of 103
I just purchased the Ultra on Sunday. Not sure if you've already done this, but if you go to PenguinAmp.com, you can login using your email address and password. Once logged in, click on "Account" in the upper right of the page, and then click on "My Orders" to check on the status of your order. As of yesterday I was in "Pending" status, and as of this morning I'm in "Payment Received" status. From the web page it sounds like once it's shipped it will take 5 - 8 days to receive.

This will be the first amp I've owned as well. Planning to pair it with an iPod Video (using the dock line out) and either Yuin PK3s or Grado SR-80s. I'm not expecting a huge change in sound, but am starting to get restless with waiting for the amp!

I'll let everyone know my impressions when I receive the Ultra.

-Scott

Jan 30, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #11 of 103
i ordered the caffeine ultra on the 4th of january. i have since recieved 1 email saying that he was just finishing the latest batch. that was nearly 2 weeks ago now. its very hard to get this guy to respond to emails and i had to resort to spamming him to get that response.

heres what the order list on the website says

04.01.2008 Pending
06.01.2008 Payment received
17.01.2008 Shipped

i live in the uk so 2 weeks is unacceptable for delivery. i feel this guy is ripping us off.

edit, after a further rather nastier email regarding a refund, i actually recieved the following
Quote:

Hello Stewart,

I just checked your order, it was re-shipped yesterday (Monday) as I made a mistake while dispatching the package. You should receive it about Thursday this week. Be aware that the rubber foam which holds the battery went out of stock so I shipped with out it. When I get it again (in about 2-3 weeks) I will ship ít so you can stick it in by yourself.
Best regards
Robert

Jan 30, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #12 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by iggy2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i ordered the caffeine ultra on the 4th of january. i have since recieved 1 email saying that he was just finishing the latest batch. that was nearly 2 weeks ago now. its very hard to get this guy to respond to emails and i had to resort to spamming him to get that response.

heres what the order list on the website says

04.01.2008 Pending
06.01.2008 Payment received
17.01.2008 Shipped

i live in the uk so 2 weeks is unacceptable for delivery. i feel this guy is ripping us off.

edit, after a further rather nastier email regarding a refund, i actually recieved the following

Eeek!...crap...or something else I probably shouldn't say on this site. Is this seller you're talking about definitely Headphonia on ebay?

Jan 30, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #13 of 103
I checked out this site to see if anyone else has had problems with communication and getting their amps! I bought one on ebay (from Headphonia.com) over two weeks ago. Was told they were not in stock in California, but would ship right away from Germany. Got an email the next day (Jan. 15th, 2008) that said it had shipped, should reach me in NYC in about a week. It has been two weeks, no headphone amp. I emailed them (him?) this weekend, the to be safe, also sent an ebay auction contact, stating I had not received the amp, was there any tracking, etc. No reply a couple days later (and they are 6 hours ahead of NYC, so I'm sure both emails were received a couple days ago.) I also called the number in Germany tonight and left a message (though I know it's midnight there, and it won't be received until tomorrow, but I just wanted to cover all the bases.) Not to sound psychotic and obsessed, but I think it's terrible customer service to not respond to a couple emails about missing product (and it has been two weekdays so far, time enough to reply.) I'm bummed, as I wanted this amp (I'm a hifi audiophile geek, and it seems like it would be more transparent, etc than the run of the mill Cmoy, which I had been planning on building with upgraded caps, etc.) If I don't get a reply in a couple days, I will have no choice but to reverse Paypal and leave negative feedback. Anybody know DIY plans for this amp?

Jan 30, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #15 of 103
Wow, just read that someone in the UK was told theirs has shipped and is waiting two weeks! Think we are being ripped off! I'm giving it until tomorrow 5pm (or so) German time to get a reply, if none, then I'm reversing Paypal and neg. feedbacking on Ebay. What?!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back