Just bought Beyer DT 770's.. (80ohm)
Aug 20, 2004 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tempest811

New Head-Fier
I plugged them in and instaltly found out my Soundblaster card makes these sound just as bad as my $20 jensen headphones. The bass distorts like mad...

I plugged them into my roommate's Logitech computer speaker system (he also has a soundblaster card...just a better one) and the volume is definately higher (due to his external volume control) and the highs and mids are much brighter and more defined. The bass, however, is not very impressive as I heard it would be with these cans...

What do you guys think is the problem? Should I go out and buy a much better sound card? Get a cheap amp? Did I just overestimate these cans?

Thanks

Aug 20, 2004 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 8
You probably need (at the very least) a headphone amp such as a CMOY, but a better source would also help a lot.

These cans, despite their 80ohm rating are still very power hungry.

Aug 21, 2004 at 6:48 AM Post #4 of 8
wow...we have a burn-in believer. I have listened with these headphones all day (and it hasn't been real pleasant) and they are already noticeably getting better. the bass is getting harder and harder and mids are really coming out more defined.

Aug 21, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tempest811
wow...we have a burn-in believer. I have listened with these headphones all day (and it hasn't been real pleasant) and they are already noticeably getting better. the bass is getting harder and harder and mids are really coming out more defined.

Interesting. I think I have noticed the least burn-in effect on these cans of all that I have had new. Go figure, huh?

Aug 21, 2004 at 11:18 AM Post #6 of 8
I just got these headphones recently as well, and noticed a lot of burn-in effect.

Out of the box, I kinda hated them, I was really worried. I first heard a pair of store/floor models at Guitar Center that were already broken in and loved em. Out of the box though, the volume was very very very low, they sounded almost dim, and that was gunna be a problem since i got them for desktop use. The highs were also very very shrill, and the low bass was thinner than I remembered.

Even after 14 hours of burn in, they losened up such that the highs mellowed out, the bass came more pronounced (but not bad or muddy), and they started producing sound louder than they did.

I can't wait to do another burn in session. I really enjoyed hearing them change after the 14 hour mark to where I am now around 20 hours. The highs just really cleaned up, and the bass is just getting a bit more monsterous
smily_headphones1.gif

-vasu

Aug 21, 2004 at 5:04 PM Post #8 of 8
I am planning on getting an EMU 0404 sound card. If that doesn't suit my needs, then I will begin looking into an amp...but one thing at a time
wink.gif

Vasu, what kind of sound card do you have? I would like to know how these cans develop on your system so I can have something to compare mine to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back