Just Bought an X-Fi Forte
Sep 4, 2009 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Shizdan

1000+ Head-Fier
I just ordered it from Newegg for around $145 Shipped. I'm going to run it through optical toslink to my Compass Dac / Amp so I can get all the effects except with superb audio quality!

Sep 4, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 6
Try the card on its own first. The "DAC" portion is probably just as good as any other standalone / combo DAC out there at any price point. I believe the Amp is very good as well but of course since it's on the card you have any knob to control it.

Sep 4, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 6
Who knows! If I decide that the Forte is the same or better suites me, I will sell the compass!

Sep 4, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered it from Newegg for around $145 Shipped. I'm going to run it through optical toslink to my Compass Dac / Amp so I can get all the effects except with superb audio quality!

There are a couple of people around here with the same setup. Using the Forte 7.1 as a DSP and passing the DAC taks to an external units. Gives you the best of both worlds. Providing the external unit has higher quality of course. Post back your impresison when you get some testing done.

Sep 4, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are a couple of people around here with the same setup. Using the Forte 7.1 as a DSP and pssing the DAC taks to an external units. Gives you the best of both worlds. Providing the external unit has higher quality of course. Post back your impresison when you get some testing done.

I am by no means an expert on audio, just a regular guy who goes from gaming quality 24/7 to music quality 24/7. I will def. give out a little review and enhance it over time. By the way thanks to ROBSCIX. His comments on the Forte urged me forward to buying it! Who knows, maybe I will just purchase the Xonar Essence STX as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back