Just bought an original 1st edition 1983 Harvest records Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon BEST mastering EVER
Jun 27, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #31 of 46
I also like the original MFSL vinyl version the best of all vinyl versions, but the 30th anniversary vinyl is very good.

Jun 27, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #32 of 46
I had the MFSL box of Dark Side, and I sold it on ebay when I got the SACD. No advantage to it any more. (although I admit I've heard this album enough for one lifetime and have moved on to music with more spontaneity now)

Jun 27, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #33 of 46
i find it hard pressed, huhu,  for that cd recording to sound better than a 180 gram let alone a 200 gram. :)  here we go....

yea and even if the youner copy is more transparent, i wiil bet the colored vinyl is more lively, punchy,  and pleasing, but you make some very valid arguments.

cheers for good debate

Jun 27, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #34 of 46
The color of the vinyl affects sound quality? That's a new one on me.

The differences between releases are due to mastering not the format. An LP can be transferred to CD with no loss in quality. The reason LPs often sound better is because of noodling and interference (Let It Be Naked) or choosing to make it sound worse (hot mastering).

Jun 27, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #35 of 46
Thanks for the reply 9pintube.  I've got this disease just like the rest of you that makes me itch for purchasing a better sounding version :wink:  So it's good to hear that I don't have a bad version in comparison to the best. 

Jun 27, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #36 of 46

Quote:
The color of the vinyl affects sound quality? That's a new one on me.

The differences between releases are due to mastering not the format. An LP can be transferred to CD with no loss in quality. The reason LPs often sound better is because of noodling and interference (Let It Be Naked) or choosing to make it sound worse (hot mastering).

very interesting,

oh i meant the sound being colored, not the actual vinyl,,  dont know how to describe it, but it sure has a more unique (better) sound  imo.

p.s. i always liked the division bell, very chill

Jun 27, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #37 of 46
The reason that original vinyl LPs often sound better than rereleases on digital is because engineering for vinyl release was usually more carefully monitored, and often the process was supervised from beginning to end. Today, masters are sent to one place to be transferred, to another to be remixed and another to be mastered. Sound by committee is never going to sound as good as sound overseen by one set of ears that really cares. It has nothing to do with how a particular format affects the sound. It's entirely possible to master an LP to sound exactly like a CD and vice versa.

Jun 28, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #38 of 46
Listening to the album right now. Wow it does sound damn good. Maybe its been a while since I have given DSoM a good critical listen but man it sounds good. 

Jun 28, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #39 of 46

Quote:
"IT's" not even my favorite PF recording, but do get them all, IMO (see list below)

Yes indeed Skylab,IN no order, The Original British copy, The Mobile Fidelity copy, the 30th Anniversary Edition copy, the original usa copy and if you can find it the Japaneses copy!! All on Vinyl, and people think I'm crazy about my LPs, Say What?? I have the MO-FI-Gold CD but would Love to hear the sacd version........ 

I'll bring it and a player when we get together.

Sep 4, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #40 of 46
May I ask how much these cds are worth on used / collectible market?

I have a Harvest Dark Side of the Moon CD which says Harvest CDP 7 46001 2.

CP35-3017 3581 TO on inner ring.

I bought it brand new decades ago, have played it (I would say good  condition), and treated it with Optrix previously.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

:)

Sep 8, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #41 of 46
Quote:
May I ask how much these cds are worth on used / collectible market?

The Steve Hoffman forum is probably a good place to ask.  They're the sort of folks who track that sort of thing. 

The Pink Floyd Archives site also has a page dedicated to figuring out the various DSotM CD masterings.  Rip the CD with EAC to get the track peak levels.  That makes it easy to figure out which mastering you have.  Then from there you can figure out which release you have.  Then check eBay for an estimate.

Mar 24, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #42 of 46
No no no, the SACD version ( non Redbook ) is IMHO the very best I've heard. And have have 7 versions on vinyl and 5 versions on cd ( including black triangle and 2011 immersion ) and the SACD is for lack of a better word Gravy, so smooth and soooo deep. But since I can't play it in my car or iTunes I normally switch between black triangle and 2011. And with all due respect to vinyl my 1973 dosnt hold a candle, not for lack of care but even with all my best efforts and infrequent plays there are still pops and other distractions that the SACD just dosnt have . There's nothing worse than getting into Us and Them and having a static pop bring you back to reality ( which often sucks ).

Music is very personal, but you owe it to yourself to check it out.

Rock On!

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #43 of 46
I have the 1983 black triangle version & MFSL vinyl, and prefer the 1983 Japanese CD pressing.

Btw, your response was to a thread that went dormant over 3 years ago :wink:

Mar 11, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #45 of 46
It is believed that this mastering was made from a 15 ips reel-to-reel tape copy of the master tape that had been sent to Japan to produce the Dark Side Of The Moon-EMI/Toshiba Records Pro-Use Series vinyl LP album, which was the last vinyl pressing of Dark Side in Japan.

In case you are interested in just the mastering you can get it a bit cheaper (than the "holy grail" issue) by buying this:

Known releases of mastering #1 (= "holy grail" mastering):

Australia first issue - Harvest Records, 7 46001-2, CD made in Japan

Japan first issue - EMI Records, catalog number CP35-3017, first pressings by CBS/Sony, indicated by no "TO" in the matrix

U.K. first issue - Harvest Records, catalog number CDP 7 46001 2, black Harvest label, Made in Japan on label, matrix has CP35-3017 with no "TO"

U.S. issues: First issue - Harvest Records, catalog number CDP 7 46001 2, black Harvest label, Made in Japan on label, CP35-3017 in the matrix Second issue - Capitol Records, catalog number CDP 7 46001 2, black Harvest label, Made in Japan on label, CP35-3017 TO in the matrix* Third issue - Capitol Records, catalog number CDP 7 46001 2, silver label, Made in USA on label, TO J in the matrix* Fourth issue - Capitol Records, catalog number CDP 7 46001 2, silver label, Made in USA on label, CP35-3017 TO J in the matrix*

* Note: It is interesting to note that the 2nd through 4th U.S. issues of Dark Side of the Moon were pressed by the Toshiba/EMI pressing plant in Japan (as indicated by the "TO" in the matrix). Yet these pressings use the 1st (Sony) mastering of the album.

To get closest to the actual (sound of the) original 2-track mastertape, one should buy the Immersion box of "The Dark Side of the Moon". There is nothing better (in my opinion).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back