Just bought an amp and want some cans to power!
Dec 14, 2016 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

BlendedTwice

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all! This is my first post. Been a music-a-holic my whole life (27) and have only been able to start buying myself the musical goodies I've always wanted with in the past two years.  Skipping right along...

I just purchased an (Mc) MHA100 Headphone amp. One of the reasons I went with it in the end is because it will drive my B&W bookshelf speakers as well as pretty much any headphone in the industry. (Also I don't know when I'll be able to afford this stuff in the future so I got something pretty much guaranteed to last, and wound up with a McIntosh in the process, which makes me smile big time).
That being said: I have a pair of Grado RS2e (which I absolutely love but they don't really seem to need too much power), and a new pair of V Moda M100's for going about my outside life.
Hoping to purchase some higher-end cans soon to get to playing. My dealer said he'd be happy to lend out anything I need for testing, but I'd love some input from you all on places I might start?

My dealer was really pushing Focal Elears, which seem to be pretty interesting. I can't say that I really have any experience with higher end cans. My Grado RS2e's are by far the best sound I have heard thus far.
tongue_smile.gif

Thanks in advance. Look forward to getting involved. 

Dec 14, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 6

I just purchased an (Mc) MHA100 Headphone amp. One of the reasons I went with it in the end is because it will drive my B&W bookshelf speakers as well as pretty much any headphone in the industry. (Also I don't know when I'll be able to afford this stuff in the future so I got something pretty much guaranteed to last, and wound up with a McIntosh in the process, which makes me smile big time).

My dealer was really pushing Focal Elears, which seem to be pretty interesting. I can't say that I really have any experience with higher end cans. 

Yeah id be smiling too....super jealous over here...nice amp!

I like Grados but theres so many other options out there these days,Focal being one of them.Personally havent had the chance to hear any yet,but have read a lot of good things about them.

Congrats on the amp!

Dec 14, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks man! Yeah I am ridiculously pumped. I thought my ears were going to fall off, because the Grado's don't sit too well after a couple of hours. When I plugged into the Mc though.... ten hours later....
Treating myself due to a broken ankle. Can't move around a lot, or hangout with my speakers. Been wanting to get into the headphones for a while so no better time than the present!

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 6
If you spent that kind of money on a amp then I would recommend the Ether Flows. Outstanding headphones.

Dec 14, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 6
If you spent that kind of money on a amp then I would recommend the Ether Flows. Outstanding headphones.

Thanks! I will definitely audition them if I can. I recall looking at the Alpha Dogs a while back but settled on some Grados. To be fair, I did get a huge discount on the amp 
biggrin.gif
, but these are essentially what I am in the market for. Will definitely start some research!

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks! I will definitely audition them if I can. I recall looking at the Alpha Dogs a while back but settled on some Grados. To be fair, I did get a huge discount on the amp :D , but these are essentially what I am in the market for. Will definitely start some research!
I had Alpha Dogs but sold them off wish I didn't now but oh well. I do love my Ether C's .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back