Just bought AKG K550s, looking for budget amp/DAC to pair it with
May 11, 2013 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

nick94

New Head-Fier
I am kind of new to the idea of using an amp or DAC. I had previously been using some AD-700s just paired with my Auzen Forte sound card. From what I have read, some people say that the Forte should be enough for me as far as entry level is concerned. I am really wondering whether I should look into getting an amp/DAC though. I just purchased the K550s because I wanted closed headphones with a wide soundstage that have punchy but not overpowering bass as well as decent highs. I listen to most kinds of music excluding rap and the like. I listen to mostly rock and bands like Mumford. I will throw in some System of a Down or dubstep as well. What should I looked into pairing my headphones with? My budget is ideally somewhere around $100-125. I would be willing to spend a bit more if something not so far away is a significant improvement. 

Note: The Forte is obviously only for my Desktop. I would like to take my headphones to the library and work to listen off of my laptop so portability is helpful. I will be listening to high quality source files.

I have been looking around and I see a lot of FiiO stuff recommended for similar needs. I was looking at the E07K. Do you guys think this would fit my needs well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back