Just bought a Zen Vision:M and JVC Marshmellows
Feb 18, 2007 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

NightWoundsTime

A nice hunk of young man
Sold some gear recently and got the itch for a portable rig. I didn't want an amp this time around since it will be going in a truck with me justabout every day. Don't worry, not using it while driving, just for downtimes during the day where all I can do is wait. Also for deliveries where I park in one spot and pull cases for a few hours at a time, a few tunes to propel the heavy labor will hit the spot.

I also decided that since video is the hot new thing I might as well get something capable of it. So my choices? Well for something I could buy locally I pretty much had iPod, Zune, and the Creative Zen Vision:M. Owned an iPod once already. Nothing particularly wrong with it but I wanted to try something different. As far as Microsoft's player I think I'll give them a few generations to mature. So the Creative looked like my choice. Of course the downside to any of these choices is that they don't play FLAC's, my file format of choice for the hundreds of gigs already on my machine. Oh well, conversion in Foobar isn't hard, just set it up overnight and I can fit a lot more on the player anyway.

I also wanted some IEM's without breaking the bank, so what better than the much talked about JVC Marshmallows?

So what do I think of the Zen? I think it's awesome, that's what. Other than the standard complaints that I pretty much already knew about going in (touch pad sensitivity is through the roof), I'm really happy with my choice. Sound quality right now is truly great. So glad it has a customizable EQ so I can pretty much tune any music to sound good with the JVC's. The video quality is superb. I loaded on some 24 and Ali G, and the contrast and motion are far better than I expected. I love that it takes pretty much any crazy file type and runs with it (my Ali G downloaded episodes were pretty old school, I can only run them on VLC on my machine with every imaginable codec installed, so it's really saying something that the Zen can decode them perfectly).

Sound quality unamped to the JVC's is just a tiny bit hollow but very satisfying. It has a thump factor (with a bit of EQ'ing) that is exactly what I wanted. Thinking back to my iPod Mini, SR-71, and E4C's I really don't miss the slight performance upgrade, especially when you consider the bulkiness of the DAP and amp strapped together. That combo was a bit more analytical anyway, I rarely ever hit a "groove" while walking around with them. These easily put a bounce in my step, and I've cleaned my whole house this afternoon since I brought this stuff home.

That said the downside of the combo is that I find a narrow range of volume where it sounds really good. I usually turn up a song in the beginning before things get fired up, because of a perceived weakness in the sound, only to find that it's blowing me out halfway through. With the volume being so hard to adjust when it's on my hip and locked it's a royal pain. I'll learn soon enough where to leave it for a song that "builds" and that will settle that.

Closing arguments? I like it, and I'm glad to be back among the portaphiles.

Feb 18, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #2 of 11
welcome to the portable world. I liked the sound of my ZVM a lot with my UE Super.Fi 5 pro's, but not so much with the e4c's. the ZVM itself lacks bass, and I'm not particularly fond of the sound the bass boost provides. the UE's had a bass quality that the e4c's can't produce. but now I have the D2, with such a variable sound, I've come to really like the clarity the e4c's can produce.

but i digress. glad to see your happy with a minimalist setup. i haven't felt the need to upgrade to an amp yet, though i'd like a low-end set of cans.

Feb 18, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 11
The ZV:M is a nice player. For me the touch pad was its weakest point. The custom EQ works good and is operational through the line out. The screen quality is excellent.

A cool feature is the shortcut button. I used this for the audio menu. I sometimes used the volume limiter, I never came to a conclusion as to its effectiveness.

Back to the touch pad and volume control, I never got comfortble with the touch pad which is why I liked to use my PA2v2 for workout duty because the amp has a big volume knob which made volume adjust possible while these things were attached to my waist.

Feb 18, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #4 of 11
Oh yeah love the shortcut button mapped to the audio menu. I don't see the touch pad becoming a huge issue, with it on low sensitivity I've gotten a lot better at moving around. Only a couple times that I've gotten really frustrated trying to select one thing.

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah love the shortcut button mapped to the audio menu. I don't see the touch pad becoming a huge issue, with it on low sensitivity I've gotten a lot better at moving around. Only a couple times that I've gotten really frustrated trying to select one thing.

the shortcut is a great idea. it'd be nice to see something like it on more DAP's.

The touchpad is much better than Creative's previous attempts at a touchstrip, and overall is very easy to get used to.

Feb 22, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 11
This is a great review! I've been around these forums checkin out the ZVM and I've been trying to figure out whether to get a Zune or a ZVM. This review helped the most, and I like all the different opinions found on this forum. Thanks!

~JJ

Feb 23, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 11
Nice setup! That's actually what I use too. I personally like these custom EQ settings.... give'em a try and let me know if you like it too. 4,3,10,9,12.
They really started to sound good after a couple of hours of play.

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #8 of 11
I have my ZVM's touch pad settings at medium, and after a while I got used to the sensitivity. I see that you have your ZVM's settings at low sensitivity, hopefully that will work for you. Are you going to skin your ZVM? Since you owned a iPod in the past, I'm sure you're familiar with why. I've also read that if you get the BestSkinsEver skin - it comes with a little skin cut-out for the touchpad - you can apply the skin to the touchpad, and it "dulls" the sensitivity a little bit more. Something to think about if you still have trouble with your ZVM's sensitivity. But wait a week or two, to see if you get used to it on your own.....

I would suggest purchasing the wired remote for the ZVM. They cost around $20 these days, and you can use them to adjust the ZVM's volume while it's locked. That might help ease your "pain".
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #10 of 11
The Zen Vision:M is perfect for me. 60 gig, great screen, great line out.

I combined it with a ALO LOD, a pint and some AKG K81DJ and let me tell you, it rocks. It owns my IPOD 4g anyday.

Feb 24, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #11 of 11
I also have a ZVM with some JVC Marshmallows. I love the combo. I got album art working on the ZVM, and all that good stuff. I'd suggest a skin from bestskinsever.com. It looks absolutely perfect (after the first one applied awfully and they replaced it
smily_headphones1.gif
)

As for the touchpad, I have it set to high and it's fine for me.
biggrin.gif
Maybe because I've been using one on my Zen Micro for over 2 years previous to the ZVM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back