Just bought a rio karma today!
Feb 5, 2005 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gregr507

100+ Head-Fier
Well I was at Circuit City checking out some mp3 players and saw they had the rio karma. I saw the price though, 300 dollars, and figured I would just buy it online. I thought I remembered seeing it online at best buy for only 200, and since circuit city price matches, we checked it out and it turns out that it is only 200 at best buy. So I got it for 190 bucks from circuit city which seems like a pretty good deal.

So anyway, the headphones that coem with it don't sound that great, and I was wondering what would be something good to upgrade to that doesn't leak sound? I think it comes with senn mx300's, would it be worht it to upgrade to senn mx500? Do they really sound that much better? Or I am open to other options too, but they must be small and not leak sound. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 13
MX400/500 or 450/550 are decent choices

Sharp MD33 cost a little more but seem to be very well liked around here...

of course somoene here is gonna suggest some ~$200-300 canalphones
etysmile.gif

Feb 5, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 13
No! I'll suggest a $120 canalphone!

+7 for E3's! That's right. 7.

EDIT: Congrats on your purchse! The Karma is truly the DAP best suited to audiophiles! Have you registered over at riovolution.com yet? If not, do so- it's great. Also, register your product at Rio's official site- you'll get 20% off of an accessory. And, since the Rio site sells the Black Vaja case with $2(!) shipping, you can take %20 off of that!

Feb 5, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 13
Im thoroughly enjoying my e2c... Not sure what your budget is, but for isolation under $65 e2c is the king IMHO. e3c steps up the clarity a notch.

Garrett

Feb 5, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 13
I also just bought the a rio karma. I was able to get it at comforsale for 180 shipped before they jumped the price up. So far it is very easy to use and sounds a lot better then the ipod. No problems so far. Now i am just waiting for my grey E3c's to come in mail.

Feb 6, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #8 of 13
Are the e2/3c's ok to keep in your pocket? Like without a case or anything? Because I will be keeping them in my pocket with my karma at school. I'm not real sure about canal phones, I would feel kind of weird sticking something that far up my ear and then I also can't really let anybody else listen. What do you guys think of the md33's? How far do they actually go in your ear? Becasue I don't really want to spend too much since I just bought a900's recently. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2005 at 1:27 PM Post #10 of 13
the MX 500 is the best pair of earphones i have ever had though i haven't really used any in ears head phones i would definitely recommend them. im not sure if the volume control is worth it though. they are better than most and are actually discrete also the metalic blue is the coolest colour.

Feb 6, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.karmalicious
No! I'll suggest a $120 canalphone!

+7 for E3's! That's right. 7.

EDIT: Congrats on your purchse! The Karma is truly the DAP best suited to audiophiles! Have you registered over at riovolution.com yet? If not, do so- it's great. Also, register your product at Rio's official site- you'll get 20% off of an accessory. And, since the Rio site sells the Black Vaja case with $2(!) shipping, you can take %20 off of that!

Unfortunately, the case appears to be just for the Nitrous. Appreciate the tip on the 20% savings though. I'll be using it.

Feb 6, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #12 of 13
Can you load the karma with any kind of file -in toher wods does it function as a portable storage device or not ?

Apart from this others can confirm the karm has the best lineout/ soundquality in the bunch of HDplayer ?

How can you say that ( that is : what do the karm' out offers then ipod/zen don't ? )
Thanks for replying to my silly questions ( I'm in to buy a portable hdplayer)

Feb 6, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #13 of 13
I've never heard the line out claim, but the parametric EQ is the best in the DAP world. I remember reading awhile back the signal path was roughly designed/shares parts with the (at least then) iPod. I'm sure there are differences, but the parametric EQ is the customizer the iPod (and to a lesser extent others with a three or five band) lack. Just wish the line out was on the body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back