Just bought a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50's, Worth it?
Aug 31, 2012 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

mrlolftw

Head-Fier
Just bought a pair after contemplating for 6 months as i need a good pair of portable headphones that are closed (AKG K240 MKII's arnt exactly the best portable headphones outthere, being basically speakers and enourmous -.-)

Worth it?

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #3 of 21
$150? No.

$100? Maybe.

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #4 of 21
Well i payed 130 for them, and i didnt change any sound signatures. I know you can get them for like 99 on amazon, but that involves spending 6 septillion dollars on postage since im from Australia -.-

It seems like i havent read a single negative thing about them, except that theyre a bit uncomftorble if you have a watermelon for a head

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:
Well i payed 130 for them, and i didnt change any sound signatures. I know you can get them for like 99 on amazon, but that involves spending 6 septillion dollars on postage since im from Australia -.-

It seems like i havent read a single negative thing about them, except that theyre a bit uncomftorble if you have a watermelon for a head

In the U.S. $130 would be a bit high.  At about that price or below there are better options for most--like the Shure SRH 840 & KRK KNS 8400.  If you search the threads here, especially the Recommendations thread, you'll find it.

And yeah you did change your sound signature from a neutralish can (240) to one with a "V" shaped EQ and recessed mids.  My guess is that you like the enhanced bass.  That's what draws most to the M50 (plus it is decent for on the go--except for its cable).

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #6 of 21
really? i read everywhere that the M50 is so good because it has a balanced sound, with a bit extra oomph in the bass department, but is nothing extreme? I mean, i love my 240's but they do lack a tiny, tiny amount in the bass department. Just a bit. Although they do sound very open and balanced, so im hoping the m50's will sound like that, but with more oomph. Also, i dont plan on using them as my main headphones for listening while at the computer, just to take to school and listen when away from home, as im kind of getting sick of IEMs (i have some soundmagic PL30's, which sound sensational for the price, but are somewhat uncomftorble and dont sound as sensational as ide like them to sound. so in verdict

240's for home (since their open and thats alright at home)
M50's for on the go (since their closed, offer the most neutral sound in their price range for closed ones (thats atleast what ive read) and are not enourmous)

and ill just use the PL30's at the gym i guess

Also, phones in Australia are a tad more then in the US, so 130 is actually a bargain considering that other sellers were selling them for 160-190

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:
really? i read everywhere that the M50 is so good because it has a balanced sound, with a bit extra oomph in the bass department, but is nothing extreme? I mean, i love my 240's but they do lack a tiny, tiny amount in the bass department. Just a bit. Although they do sound very open and balanced, so im hoping the m50's will sound like that, but with more oomph. Also, i dont plan on using them as my main headphones for listening while at the computer, just to take to school and listen when away from home, as im kind of getting sick of IEMs (i have some soundmagic PL30's, which sound sensational for the price, but are somewhat uncomftorble and dont sound as sensational as ide like them to sound. so in verdict

240's for home (since their open and thats alright at home)
M50's for on the go (since their closed, offer the most neutral sound in their price range for closed ones (thats atleast what ive read) and are not enourmous)

and ill just use the PL30's at the gym i guess

Also, phones in Australia are a tad more then in the US, so 130 is actually a bargain considering that other sellers were selling them for 160-190

I guess it all depends from where you come.  If it's from the world of Beats--then "yes" the M50 is very moderate, maybe even "boring".  However, it you are coming from generally neutral cans (read: almost all audiophile and near audiophile headphones) that are designed to reproduce the music and sound as it was laid down--then "no" with sound signature re-EQing of the M50 is not balanced.

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #8 of 21
hmm i guess the reviewers were wrong then. Still, they're not that bad are they...? Youre starting to give me buyers remorse :/

Aug 31, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:
hmm i guess the reviewers were wrong then. Still, they're not that bad are they...? Youre starting to give me buyers remorse :/

They are not bad; in fact they are good at what they do.  I'm just not a big fan of what they do. 

When the M50 was first released, the Shure and KRK were not around and/or not well known. I am a fan of what those two cans (in the same price range as the M50) do and how they do it.  Also the M50 was priced near $100 and the Shure near to $200.  That's changed (at least in the U.S.).

Aug 31, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

The reviewers are not wrong. The majority of opinions here and elsewhere favor the M50. I'm a fan and would never part with them. Enjoy them and feel confident that you made a good purchase. Consider a headphone amp if you don't have one. Many will say the M50 doesn't "need" an amp; but that's not the point.

Sep 1, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #11 of 21
Hmm sounds good, i was thinking of getting an amp aswell, just need to save up for one! Any suggestions? Ide also like to use it with my AKG's for home use, so if its a portable one or a home one i dont mind. I was looking at some FiiO models but thats about all i saw. Care to enlighten me on any amps that are decent?

Sep 1, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #13 of 21
I was thinking of just picking up a E3 since its cheap as chips, and may make some difference? If theres no real difference i guess its not really worth it though. Just as a portable solution.

Sep 1, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:
I was thinking of just picking up a E3 since its cheap as chips, and may make some difference? If theres no real difference i guess its not really worth it though. Just as a portable solution.

If you are indeed going to get an amp, and you want to go with Fiio, get at least the E6. After looking around and seeing what people had to say about the E3 (I almost bought it, because I also saw the dirt cheap price), the general view on it was that it was not very good. Super cheap yes, but in terms of quality it pretty much just makes the music louder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back