Just bought a pair of Audio Technica A900 - What else do I need?
May 7, 2007 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Progenitor

100+ Head-Fier
Finally decided to order a pair of ATH-A900 from Audiocube today (should hopefully arrive next week!
600smile.gif
). However, since it's mainly used for the PC, I now realised that my PC's audio could be the weak point. I want to take full advantage of this headphone.

At the moment I have the following setup.

Creative Audigy 2 (OEM I think) using the kX audio driver
Onboard Realtek HD Sound card (I don't use this one much except when I am too lazy to plug the headphones into the back).

My main reason for buying the A900 is that even though I am a major classical fan, I spend most of my time listening to Japanese pop, and watching videos.

I am looking to spend around $200, but feel free to recommend me higher end kits - I may save up for that instead of buying something now.

Ideally if you guys can recommend a sound card that doesn't require an amp that would be great (I heard in my research that the M-Audio Revolution 5.1 has a separate jack for driving headphones. I also heard that the Chaintech AV-710 is a great card but requires an amp to operate.) However, if the sound card + amp combo is cheap enough then that would be great.

I live in the UK at the moment (it's so tough to buy stuff here
mad.gif
) However, I may have opportunity to go to the US this year so I have the ability to buy from the US.

May 7, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 29
200?? total bithead comes to mind...

and i think theyre on sale now

May 7, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #3 of 29
So the totalbit acts as my sound card as well as my amp then if I am correct?

Do you have one yourself? I would be grateful for your experience of this device.

Thanks for the reply!

May 7, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 29
either the audigy or the onboard will not drive "good" your headphones...I had an audigy 2zs and with my hd201 it is a piece of crap,I think m-audio could be very good..

May 7, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #5 of 29
I use the X-Fi Xtreme Music's flexijack to output a bit-perfect digital signal to an Entech 203.2 DAC --> Go-Vibe 5 amp --> A900. Am running FooBar with kernel streaming.

I have tried the A900s through the X-Fi, the Audigy 2, and through my current setup +/- DAC, as well as directly through various portable MP3 players. I cannot hear any difference whatsoever no matter how I drive the A900s. The A900s were, however, a significant improvement over my HD555s in terms of clarity and detail.

I do feel that the Audigy 2/X-Fi were a huge step up over my motherboard's onboard sound (RealTek), though.

May 7, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 29
dawza, it sounds like from your experience that until I am majorly unhappy with the A900, there would not be a need for me to upgrade any of my equipment. By that time, hopefully I will have more knowledge in being an audiophile.

What's your experience of the A900? I can't wait to get mine
600smile.gif

May 7, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #7 of 29
That seems to be the general consensus of the A900s- they sound great as they are, and do not really change much no matter what. Some have reported positive results with really high-end gear, but I cannot comment there, having no direct experience.

I love the A900s- definitely a great do-all headphone, and an excellent value for the price. They are quite comfortable, although you may need to take occasional breaks as your ears heat up. The strong points of the A900s are definitely their clarity, detail, and soundstage. Often, people complain about a weak midrange, but I have not found that at all to be the case. Bass is tight, and treble is good, with just a touch of sibilance at times, but nothing too distracting.

Going from the HD555s --> A900s was the last time I really felt the "wow" factor. You will be more than satisfied
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #8 of 29
My current headphone atm is an Altec Lansing cheap headset so this will be the first audiophile gear I've bought. Great to hear your positive experience with this particular phone!

May 8, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 29
i'd sell the audigy 2 and just get an x-fi to be safe! hehe

(assuming you play games tho)

May 8, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #11 of 29
uraflit: you have quite an setup to the HD-595. I know that's an expensive setup, but what would you say is the advantage of having the E-MU 0404 USB at the end and having the chaintech outputting the digital signal?

(Btw, I pretty much come to the conclusion that I should wait until I have the headphones, and then see how satisfy I am with them) However, I would like to learn what my options are for the future
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #12 of 29
A900 are really easy to drive, I doubt they benefit much from an 200$ setup, but I really recommend a low-noise audio board (like the onkyo makes - 150-180 USD)...From there you need an amp (but don't take the cheap 40USD knocks better build one yourself if you have the knowledge and time - it might save you some money).
With my 260 USD Elekit tube amp through the Onkyo SE 150 (another 150 new) they definitely sounded much better than driven directly from the mainboard (I sold my Onkyo - I only have the mainboard headphone out now - what a shock)...

May 9, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #13 of 29
florinbaiduc: I actually ordered my A900 from audiocube so if they turn out good on arrival then I may take your advise and get an Onkyo depending on how happy I am with the sound from the audigy 2.

May 11, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #14 of 29
OP: i doubt you will need an expensive setup for the a900s, but to answer your question, i only use the chaintech > emu 0404 usb because when i use the usb, it lags sometimes (especially when playing dvd movies). the optical out saves me the hassle of installing/fixing stupid software and driver issues too.

my advice is similar to your mentality... listen to them first, then buy gear later if you want to
wink.gif

May 12, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #15 of 29
Just be careful, the Onkyo doesn't have a headphone amp (headphone out), only RCA's. You'll need an external amp. If you only need stereo sound, you can get cheaper by taking the SE90 from Onkyo. They sound the same as the 150 but only have 2 RCA channel stereo out.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Progenitor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
florinbaiduc: I actually ordered my A900 from audiocube so if they turn out good on arrival then I may take your advise and get an Onkyo depending on how happy I am with the sound from the audigy 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back