Just bought a Meridian G08 !!!
Sep 23, 2008 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

starscream

100+ Head-Fier
I found a UK based hi-fi shop that was selling a mint condition second-hand Meridian G80 for about £1600 (~$3000)

I had to go for it, I am part exchanging my Naim CD5i for it so am getting the G80 for £1200 (~$2300)

Cannot wait!

Sep 23, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #3 of 14
Congratulations!
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 14
Good for you. Congratulations!

Sep 23, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 14
that's a decent price to get it for isn't it? Have you lot any experience with the player?

Sep 23, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michgelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What was wrong with your Naim? Didn't you like it?

the CD5i is the entry level Naim. I very much liked it. It has a very substantial weighty sound, but is nowhere near as refined as higher-end players. If I had a Naim CDX2 I'd be very happy, as that truly is an excellent cd player, the sweet spot of price vs performance in the Naim series in my opinion.

However I heard many good things about the G08 and wanted a change for the time being, so went for it. In the future I'll probably upgrade my main hi-fi to a CDX2 source, and then use my G08 as my headphone source from then on.

Sep 24, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by starscream /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the CD5i is the entry level Naim. I very much liked it. It has a very substantial weighty sound, but is nowhere near as refined as higher-end players. If I had a Naim CDX2 I'd be very happy, as that truly is an excellent cd player, the sweet spot of price vs performance in the Naim series in my opinion.

However I heard many good things about the G08 and wanted a change for the time being, so went for it. In the future I'll probably upgrade my main hi-fi to a CDX2 source, and then use my G08 as my headphone source from then on.

OK
smily_headphones1.gif
It's just that the CD5i is my planned upgrade path, so I asked. Enjoy your G08!

Sep 24, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #11 of 14
Starscream are you upgrading from the CD5i or the CD5i ... the only differentiation being the i changes to italic, but it is the upgraded model. They do have a different sound. I bought a CD5i recently and compared it to the CD5i.

Sep 24, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Starscream are you upgrading from the CD5i or the CD5i ... the only differentiation being the i changes to italic, but it is the upgraded model. They do have a different sound. I bought a CD5i recently and compared it to the CD5i.

I am upgrading from a CD5i (non-italic) which I bought brand new in 2006. As I was saying before, when I come back to Naim for a source I'll almost definitely go for the CDX2 unless they develop a better successor to it.

I am only 26 and play poker for a living. So I don't think I could spend more than £3,000 (~$5800) at this stage of my life on a source, as I am quite new to poker, although it is going well. Who knows, maybe in 3 or 4 years I'll be making a lot more from poker so may be willing to go for the top of the range players, we'll see. I'd be very content with a Naim CDX2 as a source though and perhaps wouldn't see any need to upgrade from there, perhaps move laterally instead.

One of the reasons I went for the Meridian G08 is I wanted to try out something of genuine high-quality which is quite different to the Naim sound.

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[hijack]
Is the CD5i notably better?
[/hijack]

Sep 24, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #14 of 14
i think the g08 is highly overrated but i haven' liked any of the meridian sources since the 506. it does all the 'audiophile' stuff i guess but it just isn't musically enjoying for me anyway.

i would have stuck with the naim line but you might like it seeing as you have the change of pace itch...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back