Just bought a Fiio X3 2nd Gen - is it defective?
Jun 29, 2015 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SJTM

New Head-Fier
Came in the mail Friday.  I loaded one song on a new 64gb card and tried the various functions - everything seemed to work fine. Loaded 669 songs and now I cannot control the volume, cannot access the equalizer ( cursor skips right over it), and the lockout screen seems to indicate the volume buttons are locked out, but no way to unlock them.  I tried to use the reset ( paper clip in the hole on the side).  Nothing changed.  There are no detailed operating instructions, so I am lost.  Can anyone walk me though this or point me to some detailed operating instructions for all the functions ( not just quick start instructions) online.  I am ready to send this back if I cannot figure it out soon.  Thanks 

Jun 30, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #2 of 5
IT sounds like the player may be faulty, or the software. Have you tried updating the firmware?

Even if it's up to date, the process might give it a nudge without ruining your warranty.

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #3 of 5
Be sure you're plugging your headphones into the 'headphone out jack' (left jack when the player is facing you) If you're plugging into the line out then that may explain why the EQ is blank and you cannot adjust the volume.

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #4 of 5

I am officially a Dufus and accept all ridicule and embarrassment from making this stupid mistake.  Apparently when you use the correct headphone input, the device actually works as designed.  Who knew?  Thanks for unraveling the mystery.

I am listening through a set of HD598's and am very impressed with the clarity and soundstage of this combination.

If I can ask yet another NOOB question, is there an optimal file format to use with this setup to maximize sound quality?  I am using a 64gb ard if it matters. 

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #5 of 5
Most people find when they properly blind test themselves, that high bit rate mp3s and aac files are often indistinguishable from lossless: http://lifehacker.com/5903625/mp3-or-lossless-see-if-you-can-hear-the-difference-with-this-test. Try the test yourself.

So many of us just put 320K mp3s on our DAPs. That gives you tons of storage over lossless file formats like flac. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back