Just bought a 1st gen shuffle, is the sound supposed to be mono?
Nov 3, 2007 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Poetik

1000+ Head-Fier
What up all, just bought a 1st gen ipod shuffle off ebay. I was wondering if it the sound output from it was supposed to be mono or if I'm just missing a setting in Itunes or somethin? I was hoping the soundstage was gonna be huge with it but when I plugged the shure530's in all I heard was hiss from the shuffle searching for a song and a mono sound from the music.

Maybe I just bought a dud or perhaps there is some setting you can change?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 3, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 8
I don't believe you can rip in mono with itunes. If the jack for your phones is not completley in the headphone jack you can get mono...the contact is across both channels of the headphone plug.

Nov 3, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 8
Hmm, I'm positive I had the headphone jack pushed as far as it could go in... I'll try again when I get home.

Nov 4, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 8
Yea it was just givin me straight up mono, no panning what so ever. Too bad, it seems like it was a cheap chinese imitation or just a broke assed ipod shuffle. If anyone wants to sell me their 1st gen shuffle on here I will definitely buy it. (I can't post in the for sale forum yet). Thanks. Also I was wondering how was the hiss on the 1st gen shuffle with the se530's?

Nov 4, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #7 of 8
I know that it's comin out mono because it's a song that uses tons of panning. I am absolutely sure that it's mono because the sound was coming directly from the center. I am completely positive my headphones were plugged as far as they could go into the shuffle so basically I'm just gonna assume that it's a faulty product (especially since it couldn't sync up with itunes). I want to hear the potential of the shuffle so hopefully the next shuffle works well. It might just be better to spend an extra $20 for a new one on amazon.com rather than usin ebay again.

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poetik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
am completely positive my headphones were plugged as far as they could go into the shuffle so basically I'm just gonna assume that it's a faulty product (especially since it couldn't sync up with itunes).

that last part should be a give away that its probably fake
can you take a picture of it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back