Just Blew My SACD Player Money on...
Jan 5, 2003 at 12:17 AM Post #31 of 55
BoyElroy,

http://www.monitorgalaxy.com/catalog/2101.cfm#Specs

that still is a 0.28 pitch, though.

i must admit though, that I did like the LCD that had glass coverings (not the native plastic screen). heck, even the ones with clear plastic over them (the screens) made dvd movies look good.

hey, I'm all for LCDs. That and Shuttle mini pcs are the only thing driving the PC market now. LCDs are just not for me, any more than plastic camera lenses.

so how did the above pictures look on your lcd screen?

Jan 5, 2003 at 12:24 AM Post #32 of 55
Hi Wallijonn,

Check out this review of the latest 18" Hitachi LCD--

GamePC Hitachi CML181SXW-B

To tell you the truth, I can't see much difference bet. the image on my CRT and the LCD. There are some points where the edge lines seem ever so more apparent on the LCD, but I think this could also be because the CRT tends to blur everything.

Jan 5, 2003 at 12:50 AM Post #34 of 55
Hi Wallijonn,

Hmmn. That's a hard one because the original Microsoft supplied image (Red Desert) is only a 800 x 600 resolution image and expanded to fit a 1280x1024 resolution screen, there are definite artifacts and jagged lines. The jagged lines are also present on my Viewsonic CRT set at the same resolution so this may be an image quality problem more than anything else. Maybe if there were a higher resolution image we could compare.

Would you believe that after all this, I'm now reconsidering my LCD purchase (!) I'm so dissatisfied with my Viewsonic CRT that I'm thinking of returning my LCD and getting the Mitsubishi 2060U instead. I don't know if I want to have two big screens on my desk. It takes up so much space that I'd rather have just one big screen and that being the case, I can afford a 22" CRT, but not a 20"- 22" LCD monitor.

Jan 5, 2003 at 2:13 AM Post #35 of 55
I still don't understand why some of you people turn off v-sync. I run 1024x768@85. You're telling me you need more than 85fps?

Personally, the reason I'm considering lcds is that I'm heading off to college in 2004. Never too early, right? For college, its either a 17 inch lcd or a 17 inch crt. I'd love a 19 inch crt, but could I fit it on a dorm desk?

Jan 5, 2003 at 2:19 AM Post #36 of 55
The only thing that bothers me about that Hitachi gaming lcd you pointed out, BoyElroy, is the review notes the brightness level was by default set to 100%, and it still wasn't all that bright.

Jan 5, 2003 at 2:29 AM Post #37 of 55
Quote:

I'd love a 19 inch crt, but could I fit it on a dorm desk?

Depends, will you use the desk for writing, ect? I normally do all my work sitting up on my bed, even though I Have a desk. My roomate just set his 19" crt on top of his refidgerator and had his desk relativly clear.

Or you could get a small footprint monitor, like this:
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/crt_gs790.htm

For offices where you need to room, LCDs are good, but they just can't replace a good CRT.

Jan 5, 2003 at 2:36 AM Post #38 of 55
BoyElroy,

LOL. what's your desk like? I use the industrial strength benches like:

http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Brows...e=1&SKU=484528

http://www.officemax.com/max/solutio...kOID=536959142

http://www.officemax.com/max/solutio...kOID=536933335

my favourite being the 60" cherry desk. it's the kind of thing i'm used to at work, and will easily support two 21" monitors on the desk surface.

right now I have a 21" monitor, denon dc810 cdp and a technics receiver on the top with a mini-tower tucked underneath.

Mitsu makes some nice crts, along with viewsonic, hitachi and sony. me, I like .21 pitch max. they have at least fallen in price. heck, even bestbuy now carries 19" monitors. personally, i look for monitors that have the 5 bnc connectors on the back. did they ever make any that can use the digital output of a video card?

Jan 5, 2003 at 2:58 AM Post #39 of 55
Many graphics designers and artists love and prefer a good lcd because it's much much easier on the eyes, and they're sitting there with their faces inches from the screen hours at a time.

Jan 5, 2003 at 3:04 AM Post #40 of 55
I have the BNC connectors on my old 17" Samsung GLSI. I didn't see any new monitors using them. I use two 21" Sony flat tube monitors, one in Dell case and one in IBM case. The IBM one actually has one 15pin dsub and one digital input. Not sure what the advantage is since the digital needs to be converted to analog anyway. I use one of the dual head MSI video cards with one 15pin and one digital to run both screens.

LCDs - the biggest issue with LCDs is the color reproduction at least for me. I need excellent color reproduced in a full spectrum for photo editing and graphic work in general. With the prices being down on the 18" LCDs thats the only thing stopping me from getting two for my main system.

Eye strain - the LCDs are awesome when it comes to less strain on the eyes. I can spend 18 hours on my notebook with very little eye pain. After a day on a CRT my eyes feel really bad.

Can't wait to get some good LCDs once the color reproduction gets better.

Jan 5, 2003 at 3:11 AM Post #41 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by ooheadsoo
Many graphics designers and artists love and prefer a good lcd because it's much much easier on the eyes, and they're sitting there with their faces inches from the screen hours at a time.

I totally disagree. For any series graphics work you need correct and full color reproduction. The LCDs even the best ones are still not able to correctly reproduced allot of colors especially when it comes to white to beige and gray to black spectrums. If I could get LCD 18" or bigger to match my Sony tube I would buy it right away to ease the strain on my eyes.

Jan 5, 2003 at 3:46 AM Post #42 of 55
dhwilikn:

The brightness issue does seem to be an ongoing Hitachi LCD problem, doesn't it? Then again, the CML174 has a listed brightness level of 260 NIT which seems pretty normal so I guess it would always help to check it out in person to see if the brightness level is a problem for you or not.

Wallijonn:

I have the good fortune of living half a block from one of the larger lumber yards in NYC so I had them cut some large 8' x4' birchwood sheets for me and I basically built a large work desk for myself. The idea would have been great if I lived outside of NY, but unfortunately, I live in a smallish one bedroom apt. and after getting married last year, I've had to steadily cut off large segments of my once proud and manly work desk. What I'm left with would make you laugh. A desktop that was once almost 7 feet long is only about 4 feet long now and has lost about 1.5 feet of width. There are times when I feel like the Jonathan Pryce character from "Brazil" trying to work at his tiny office desk.

Jan 5, 2003 at 5:24 AM Post #43 of 55
BoyElroy,

I feel for you man. I know how hard it is to find an apartment in NYC. Hope you are not between avenue B & C
wink.gif
I still miss Houston Street and the Jewish Delis, Chinatown, electronic stores, record stores, J&R, etc.

I hope that you don't have a tower system. If I ever build another system, it's going to have to be using the Shuttle mini pc & water cooled system. Did you ever see the 32" TV that did 1024x768? Now that would be fun
biggrin.gif

sometimes I think that XP was written for LCDs.

your name: let me guess, the Jetsons?

Jan 5, 2003 at 6:30 AM Post #44 of 55
Hey Wallijonn,

Someone from the old neighborhood! The apartment's small, but like you said, the location can't be beat. I'm a block below Houston on 2nd Ave. which means I'm 2 blocks east of Little Italy, 2 blocks north of Chinatown and 2 blocks south of the East Village. I know I have to move on and get started on my adult life, but I'm having too much fun and the food's too yummy...

Quote:

your name: let me guess, the Jetsons?

Yep, I started using BoyElroy years ago in school but as I'm getting so much older now, I should perhaps change my name to Spacely Sprockets or Cogswell Cogs.

I just ran into a guy at J&R yesterday that I went to HS with in Chicago and he's the one who pointed me towards the Sony. In a city this big, its amazing how many people you just run into on the street. Come to think of it, I've run into this guy a couple of times now. Strange.

Jan 5, 2003 at 7:28 AM Post #45 of 55
Elroy,

I would kill to be able to go to a St. Genero festival.
biggrin.gif
and I still miss the whole 8th Street area (east to west), canal street, Bleeker, the Village, ... Nothing like the FDR Drive & 14th Street in 0 degree weather...

man, enjoy it while you can, because later on in life you just may want to get the hell out of there (like when you get a car and they start charging you $300 a month for parking). let me guess, $1800 a month for rent?

take care, buddy. i wish you the best. remember this poor sap next time you're eating a Pastromi on Rye on Delancy Street or having a "Hennie Youngman" at Carnegie (about 50th Street) or a NY CHEESECAKE!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back