Just arrived: C2C, DAC19MK3, K702
Dec 18, 2009 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

PiNa.cz

Head-Fier
Hi guys,

this is my first post here after two weeks of busy reading threads about Audio-GD products, K701/2 vs HD650 hp and burn-in process.

At the beginning I just wanted to buy better headphones and a friend of mine recommended AKG K701 to me. Wanted to find out more about them with google and I found this forum - what a find. There is just so much good information here.

To make long story short my new "toys" arrived this week. Brand new AKG K702 followed by C2C Amp and DAC19MK3 (mode B). Dealing with Audio-GD's Mr. Kingwa was a very pleasant experience. I always had reply to my email within 1-2 hours and he did his best to make me another fully satisfied customer.

It will take some time before ordered cables from Audio-GD will arrive as they forgot to put them into the box and in the meantime I had to use some low cost RCA/RCA cables I found at home. M2TECH Hiface USB->SPDIF is on the way - using DAC's USB now. Already started burn-in and I also tried to listen to some ap recordings from Chesky, Denon and others.

I am very happy with my purchase and I would like to say "Thank you" to all of you who posted your reviews and personal experiences with your gear here. It really helped me to choose the right gear for my wallet.

I've got Chesky Records' Guide to Critical Listening here so I believe it will help me to jump on the "audiophile" bandwagon in no time
regular_smile .gif

Martin

Dec 19, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 23
Which mode is mode A and which mode is mode B? I'm guessing mode A is with the DF1704 chip and mode B is with the PMD100 chip, am I right? What's the actual difference between those chip, beside the different bitrate?

I like your setup, although I would like to have the same setup but use a DT880 600 Ohm with it. Unless I find something better for the same price of course.

Dec 19, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 23
Welcome Martin. Glad to have another addict willing to make us all feel better about ourselves.
redface.gif

You are going to be a guinea pig for cable differences. You are using a pair of basic ICs now. When you get your new ICs in, give us an opinion of the differences.

Don't go near tubes, tastes like chicken and hooks you like a largemouth bass in the weeds.

Dec 19, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which mode is mode A and which mode is mode B? I'm guessing mode A is with the DF1704 chip and mode B is with the PMD100 chip, am I right? What's the actual difference between those chip, beside the different bitrate?

In the past the mode A had the PMD100 chip and was a default option. If you wanted 24/96 support you had to order DF1704 considered mode B option.

Mode A: Support HDCD and 24Bit/55KHz . Best for playing normal CD format (Redbook CD).

Mode B: Support 24Bit/96KHz , apply DF1704 as digital filter, can't support HDCD.

But it seems Mr. Kingwa started to deliver 19MK3 with Mode B chip as default now since my DAC is mode B. No problems at all as I´ve already ordered Mode A just to have more "flavours" for my DAC.

Was wondering if HDCD support means decoding on the fly - I mean if you can play ripped HDCD tracks in 16bit FLAC directly without the need of reencoding them into 24bits in dbPowerAmp.

There is also a DAC 19MK3 review here comparing Mode A and Mode B options.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/rev...-19mk3-435669/

It seems C2C drives AKG K 702 quite well as I didnt notice any lack of bass. I am very happy with the sound of my combo now, even with the low cost ICs and not finished burn-in it still sounds very good. Especially with recodings by Chesky. Can´t imagine how better it will sound when I will plug in new cables, M2Tech Hiface and better ICs. Cant wait to taste it
wink.gif

Martin

Dec 19, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #5 of 23
Aha! I was looking at this EXACT same combo! Brilliant! Thanks for the review man.

Dec 19, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aha! I was looking at this EXACT same combo! Brilliant! Thanks for the review man.

This is my first "high-end" setup so please dont take it as a review. It just sounds much better than anything I've heard before. And my ears are not spoiled yet
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 19, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 23
Pretty nice entrance into audio
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'd love to know your impressions of the M2tech Hiface when you get it since you haven't been corrupted by the cable believers vs non-believers argument yet.

Dec 19, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 23
congrats PiNa. a simple and elegant hi-fi. enjoy and drink a fresh Pils.

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #10 of 23
Congrats! Looks like a really wonderful setup, I've never heard a C2C or a 19MK3, but both are supposed to be excellent components - it sounds like you've got a recipe to please your ears for a long time!

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #11 of 23
Badass.

Looks like fun.
L3000.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #12 of 23
Martin, congrats and welcome to head-fi, share more impression after burn-in. Btw, a very nice combo from Audio-GD, indeed. And Kingwa is also a nice guy to deal with, he always try his best to answer your question, I'm a happy customer of Audio-GD also. Enjoy your new toys.

Dec 21, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #13 of 23
Thank you guys for your nice comments.

At the beginnig I wanted to order just Compass but found some comparison review here on Head-Fi stating that C2C + 19MK3 should be 20-30% better than Compass alone. Since this is my first and probably the last Hi-Fi purchase for a very very long time I decided to shell out more money and buy the best gear I could afford at the moment. And I am lucky I did it.

Mr. Kingwa gave me nice combo price for c2c+19MK3 770USD (80USD lower then when bought separately). Shipping was 147USD to the Czech Republic via DHL. I bought K 702 on eBay for 248USD + 41USD Express shipping from Unique Squared Inc. All in all 1200USD. M2Tech Hiface was 107Euro and 50USD cables. It is not cheap at all but from what I've read here it should sound like 2-3x expensiver gear. From this point of view it was worth it.

I am 120 hours in burn-in process now and I am still waiting for beter ICs and Hiface so I cant comment on any audible changes yet. But I already noticed how good classical and jazz music sound on this combo while electronic stuff sounds a bit sterile. I was also used to EQ my recordings a lot on my previous low-fi gear and be able to hear now the sound exactly in a way it was meant to be recorded (without EQ) is also a new experience to me. K 702 reveals a lot and I think my ears are being spoiled slowly. I cant listen to some of my CDs (at least with this combo) anymore - victims of Loudness War like Depeche Mode's Playing the angel is just one example.

That's all for now, I will keep you updated.

Martin

Dec 21, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #14 of 23
Very good entry into audiophilia. Nice setup.

Dec 29, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd love to know your impressions of the M2tech Hiface when you get it since you haven't been corrupted by the cable believers vs non-believers argument yet.

M2Tech Hiface and Shark Wire ICs plus Canari Coax cable have arrived yesterday. I spent whole evening testing them. New ICs sound much better then previous regular low cost RCA ICs. Wider soundstage, richer sound, better bass. Compared M2Tech Hiface/Coax input with USB input on C2C and it also sounds slightly better.

So far I am very pleased with this setup. I need to train my ears now ... to be able to enjoy new neunces in my recordings.

Martin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back