Just an Initial, Very Brief SuperMono/SR-71 Comparison
Sep 9, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #16 of 35
You know, I had several experiences in the past with various amps producing hiss and such with low impedance headphones. Most of the time, the first thing everyone looked for was to lower the gain...

However, in my past experiences with Shure E5c, a lot of the time the gain wasn't the issue... and the issue could not be corrected regardless of how you played with gain level. The hiss turned out to be caused by the opamp. I think the problem is, a lot of amps were designed without using such sensitive headphones to test them with. So the amp builder was never aware of the fact that hiss were being introduced.

I had this experience with PocketReference (which I sent back to have gain adjusted, but it was never fixed, and I sold it shortly after that. I did see a thread of someone who had the problem fixed via an opamp change), as well as XP-7 or HR-2 with AD8610 opamp.

Sep 9, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #18 of 35
You too Bob. I appreciated your comments (and hosting the meet and introductions causing this loan to occur). It would be good for anyone reading this to see your thread also.

Sep 9, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #19 of 35
Nice preview. I am really interested to know (and hear) how the SM interfaces with 501s. Looking forward to future comments -- and listening opportunities.

Sep 9, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #20 of 35
Man, this just makes me look forward to the SuperMono that much more. I really looked hard and long at the SR-71, but the lack of AC power ended up being a deal breaker for me - though I'd like to use the amp portably, it will primary still be used at home. :frowning2:

~KS

Sep 10, 2004 at 1:45 AM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
Lastly, I tested them with both UE-10 Pro and 2X-S. Neither IEM's had any problem with SR-71. There's a slight hiss with UE-10 and SuperMono.

How did the SR-71 and SM contribute to the sound when using the IEMs? As they don't need an amp for volume I'd suppose they did benefit in terms of soundstage/separation/low-end?

Sep 10, 2004 at 2:51 AM Post #22 of 35
I love the reviews that I read here. Some of you guys are truly talented in putting the "sonic experience" into words with all of the nuances beautifully and effectively described. I appreciate your efforts...
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2004 at 7:52 AM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
How did the SR-71 and SM contribute to the sound when using the IEMs? As they don't need an amp for volume I'd suppose they did benefit in terms of soundstage/separation/low-end?

Basically what I mentioned above.. I tested both amps with UE-10 Pro and 2X-S. Of course, following my other thread about amp usage with those two IEM in general... you can also extrapolate that the UE-10 Pro didn't reveal an appreciable change as much as the 2X-S.

Sep 11, 2004 at 7:34 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by geekay
nice job, but i prefer SM much more than sr71.
just because the size is smaller.

I haven't heard the SM so cannot say which I prefer. Smaller as a general rule is indeed better, as real estate on my belt is quite precious - what with cell phone, DAP, amp and all. I like to ride the motorcycle and listen to my tunes, which places my legs in the seated/bent position. When an audio accessory is smaller it doesn't get in the way or impose itself onto my awareness which is ultimately what I'm looking for.

I would say that SR71 is plenty portable. It rests in a cell phone case w/belt clip just fine and is mostly unobtrusive if positioned correctly. I say "mostly" because it does have some weight to it, making it not altogether transparent during portable use. The SM does appear attractive in this sense for me, as it looks to be about 25% smaller than SR71. Both, it seems, are really terrific products - one is a well-documented and proven success, the other a promising newcomer still on the assembly bench. How cool is it to be a part of all of this?? Just can't get my wife to understand at all...

Sep 14, 2004 at 12:55 AM Post #26 of 35
Thank you very much for the reviews here and in other threads. I have been thinking of getting a portable head phone amp for the last week or so to hear what the fuzz is all about. But being a newbie, I didn't really know what to get. Based on the sound reviews and pictures so far, I decided to donate money to Todd (Vinyl Junkie) for an SR-71.

Although I undestand that the SM is still in Beta, and my wallet seems to like the SM better, you have to admit the SR-71 is the better looking amp. As to the size difference, I only need an amp that I can lug around the house (to move to rooms where my kids aren't), so the SR-71 is already small enough for me. I am sure both amps will not disappoint in the sound department, but I kinda like IEM's and am already planning on upgrading my E3c as soon as my wallet recovers (any suggestions?). From the posts here, it seems that the SR-71 will be a better match for high-end IEMs.

Sep 14, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #27 of 35
At the risk of sounding uninformed what is IEM? Remember... there are no stupid questions... just stupid people.

Sep 14, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #28 of 35
IEM = In-ear monitors, such as the Shure E series (E5, E3c...). I believe they are also referred to as canal phones (I am new to audio gear in general, so I am not quite sure I am using the right terminologies!).

Sep 14, 2004 at 1:28 AM Post #29 of 35
Other very well known IEMs are the custom molded Sensaphonics ProPhonic 2X-Soft and the UE UE10-Pro and UE5-C. They're custom molded and very expensive. But they're supposed to sound very good too
smily_headphones1.gif

There's been a Sensa and UE craze around here as of late, as a search for related threads will attest.

Sep 14, 2004 at 1:30 AM Post #30 of 35
PATB: Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your sanity and your wallet!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back