Just about the Grado 325i
Jan 26, 2008 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Ricky112

Head-Fier
Im using my grados on a pc sound card right now and this sound card costs $353 and im wondering if its giving me full potential sound? the sound card can output a maxium of 113db

Jan 27, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #5 of 33
Grado's are decently easy to drive and your soundcard, i'm sure, is driving them just fine. I'd worry more about your computer power supply. Crap-o power supplies have the tendencie to hold back musical experiences with computer as source.

Full potential sound can be rather subjective. What are you looking to achieve? How satisfied are you with the sound as it is?

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #7 of 33
Well my power supply is a SmartPower 2.0 450W ATX12V v2.01 power supply well when im listening to my songs i can hear very sharp highs and clear lows and the singer who is singing the song sounds very clear, i have the volume set to 60% and i found that the highs are really hurting my ears. My sound card also supports a number of effects like auditorium, disco, jazz, concert hall, small room, and much much more, i have used the audio effect small room and theres a really clear echo when the singer sings, it sounds as if im in a concert sitting in the front row hearing her sing, but im still not sure if im getting the full potential sound out the grados im using.

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #8 of 33
You mention the piercing highs, well the 325s are known to be the brightest of the grado's.

What format is your music in? If you look in the computer-as-a-source forum, you may get a better idea of how to take advantage of your grado's since you're using a soundcard to drive them

Jan 27, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #9 of 33
Well i took a Cd and ripped it at 320kbps mp3 format and i listen to it and it sounds great again the highs were really hurting my ears, and you know when a female sings you can hear a great amount of detail when she saids every word like the word "small" and you say it, it makes that shhh sound, lol i know the way im explaining it is kind of weird but anyway even though i listen to mp3s that are at 320kbps, i listen to the actually cd and i found it better and slightly clearer than the mp3s that are at 320kbps

Jan 27, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #10 of 33
try encoding in lossless then such as FLAC

the shhhh sounds like sibilance to me, try flat pads or sennheiser 414 pads. Or get a tube amp

by the way, information for everything above regarding your 325s as well as tons of further info is available on this forum, you just gotta search for it and do some reading

also i can't help but mentioning, you paid over $300 for an audigy? i hope you didn't do that recently

Jan 27, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky112 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the highs were really hurting my ears

well, you're not alone; i always have this problem with all the grados i've tried

Jan 27, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #12 of 33
i bought my audigy z 4 pro 3 years back but now their discontinued, but i still think the audigy z 4 pro is still a pretty good card. As for a tube amp im afraid i dont have enough money to afford one thats y i use my grados on my sound card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back