Just a thought
Apr 3, 2004 at 3:33 AM Post #31 of 33
This was a very meaningful thread, and it has given me something to think about. I thank you for that.

When I listen to my headphones, I don't think about the gear, I just think about the music.

A headphone that lets you listen to music is worthless, a headphone that engrosses you in the music is priceless.

Apr 3, 2004 at 6:34 AM Post #33 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Earwax
It sounds like you're getting burned out. Take a break, do other things for a while. Or go listen to some live music somewhere. Or try types of music you've never listened to before. Or make your own music.

Relax and stop worrying about "gear" for a while, I bet the excitement will come back when you stop trying too hard to find it.
(does that make sense to anyone besides me? )

Makes perfect sense. My headphone adventure started with Grado SR-80's that I basically ordered on a whim when it hit me that there were probably headphones better than what's on the rack at Target.

When I got 'em, I was overjoyed. Due to the nature of my job, the open-design was a huge problem. I didn't know what to look for in a phones but the ATH-A9X's looked promising so I bought 'em off of millerdog. Absolutely loved 'em, again. I was going straight from my NBJ3 -> ATH-A9X's.

In what could be best described as a gateway effect, I just started buying phones to see if they could massively out do the ATH-A9X's like I'd heard done with the SR-80's.

ATH-W100 - No, sold
ATH-A1000 - No, sold
DT-770 - No, sold

When I got the Beyer's, I was totally bummed. I just got my first amp, the Total Airhead, in a trade and it was almost like I didn't want to listen to the music anymore.

Well, the option was stripped from me! I was put on probation at work which meant *gasp* no music! I sold the Beyer's almost immediately after getting them figuring I couldn't use 'em anyway.

Two months later, I was off probation and had the NJB3 -> TAH -> Eggo D66 and it restored my faith in my ability to enjoy phones again. I was really depressed when I got in that rut of just buying phones and hoping for instant gratification.

The TAH fell apart, I bought a META. Phenomenal improvement... should've bought that amp much earlier. I permanently lent my Eggo's to a friend and bought the Beyer DT250-250's.

I'm eight months clean! Somewhere, I finally stopped wondering about how much better music could sound and kindly accepted the fact that the DT250's were for me. I'm going to fall off the wagon for a new amp and then promptly hop back on
smily_headphones1.gif

-Take a month loing break and see what becomes of it.
-Listen to music you never gave a chance / didn't think you'd like.
-Get SoulSeek in order to try new music so you don't buy blindly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back