Just a stupid question about etys...
Dec 18, 2001 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

moose

100+ Head-Fier
Maybe I'm missing something
frown.gif
, but if the ER4s work fine out of portable sources ( mine are the iPod/old sony D-220); that is, if there is plenty more volume than is safe, what is the purpose of the ER4p?
confused.gif

I'm sorry in advance if this is a really stupid question.
Thanks,
Mike.

Dec 18, 2001 at 2:32 AM Post #2 of 15
Without an amp, most portable sources (with their puny 5-10 mW amps) will not power the ER-4S's to their full potential. They will appear lifeless or flat without an amp. They'll also be lacking in bass response.

The ER-4S's sound "OK" directly out of my Panasonic SL-CT780's headphone jack (I think it has an 8 mW amp). They are WONDERFUL through my JMT-built CHA47 Penguin Mint amp, driven by the SL-CT780's line out. With the amp, the sound suddenly opens up and is much more lifelike.

Dec 18, 2001 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 15
There is a lot more to powering headphones than sheer volume. Improved dynamics, transparency, and effortless bass are some of the benefits you get.

I can drive my ER4s to blistering levels from my headphone output in my walkman, but believe me, the sound pales in comparison to my TA output.

Dec 18, 2001 at 7:02 AM Post #5 of 15
It depends on what your home system consists of. Most home receivers / amplifiers / CD players have an ample amount of power, so they'll certainly crank out enough volume to make you go deaf. However, the headphone jacks on most (not all) home equipment are not very high quality, and you can increase sound quality quite a bit with a dedicated amp, even a portable one. Perhaps you should buy a Total Airhead from HeadRoom, since they have a good return policy. If you don't hear a difference between your home system and the TA, you can simply return the TA.

As a side note, I went with the JMT-built amp, because a return policy was not important to me, since I already knew the potential of the amp design after building my own. Of course, his amps also look much better than mine.

Quote:

Originally posted by moose
thanks, edog.
How does the CHA-47 compare to the headphone jack of a home system?

Dec 18, 2001 at 7:15 AM Post #6 of 15
This was really helpful info for myself as well. I have been looking at getting a pair of Etys for portable use and have been attempting to discern between the p's and s's. Glad to have this cleared up.

Dec 18, 2001 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

"There is a lot more to powering headphones than sheer volume. Improved dynamics, transparency, and effortless bass are some of the benefits you get.

yes, but with a portable source without a line-out, an amp would merely amplify the electronics that are built into the portable source...right?

Dec 18, 2001 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by moose

yes, but with a portable source without a line-out, an amp would merely amplify the electronics that are built into the portable source...right?

Exactly! That's why my portables ALL have line out!
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: GG, how come I didn't see your post?
wink.gif

Dec 20, 2001 at 3:23 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

my JMT-built CHA47 Penguin Mint amp, driven by the SL-CT780's line out. With the amp, the sound suddenly opens up and is much more lifelike.

whats JMT's e-mail address? for some reason, i cant send JMT a private msg. i want to order an amp./.

Dec 20, 2001 at 4:27 AM Post #13 of 15
5-10mW would provide more volume than you could stand.

Unfortunately the manufacturers don't give accurate information.

5mW at what impedance, and at what distortion level?

5mW into 16 ohms at 10% distortion, is less than 1mW at 100 ohms at a decent distortion level.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

Dec 20, 2001 at 4:33 AM Post #14 of 15
There's absolutely no reason to get the 4S unless you will never use it without an amp. The 4P can become a 4S with a cheap simple adapter! So in essence, if you get a 4P you also get a 4S for a few more dollars!

Also, if you get the premium adapter from fixup, you get another six feet of headphone cord goodness along with the 4S properties!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back