just a set-up question that many have said may be wrong
Mar 17, 2011 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

audiorapture

100+ Head-Fier
I have selected the ASUS Rampage Formula III w/ the i7 Intel3.06 950/1366 processor and an ASUS DVD Brn DRW-24B1ST. Overclocking will be another question down the line...
As I have previously written a question about either choosing a HaloXT or an ASUS Essence STX, I was concerned about how to set my SonyES HT receiver up so I'll be able to listen to my [size=9pt][size=9pt]headphone[/size][/size] through the amp of the soundcard and use the 5.1 with my speakers through my receiver so I can watch 5.1 movies and play games.
I thought it would be just attach a toslink /optical from the card to the toslink of my receiver and I should get the 5.1, but others here wrote and said that's not necessarilly always the case. Or maybe I can go from each port and connect directly to my HTreceiver and it will play that way.
Any help about this set up or problem that may come up would be helpfull. Again thanks for reading and your opinions and ideas..... 

Mar 17, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 3
I can only speak for the STX (ST in my case but same deal), You can use the HP out and go optical for 5.1 but in the STX's config you need to change the drop down menu under SPDIF to "Dolby Digital Live" and not PCM as well as make sure it's enabled by selecting the check mark. You can even use both the HP out and the optical at the same time however when under HP mode you will only have the option of dolby headphone and not Dolby Virtual Speaker for upmixing 2.0 audio. For games I found dolby virtual speaker disabled to give the best positional audio (tested with RIFT) under optical out. You will also need to make sure 5.1 is the selected mode.

Mar 18, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks Sulvaat, there are so many ins and outs with all these setting and hook-ups and going on line to try to get through each manuel was time consuming and nerve racking for me.  I mentioned to another member some of these companies are getting short on hiring some good techs; because if you get the wrong one, the conversations usually end abruptly and without anything really accomplished.  All the best to you and yours.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back