Just a Quick Question Regarding Headphone and Amp's
Apr 13, 2015 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Colactix

New Head-Fier
Hi guys. I just picked up the AKG 701's, (previously had ATH-M50's) and i was wondering if an amp/DAC would be of any benefit. I'm running my headphones through an Asus Xonar D2X soundcard on my PC. I do have to crank the volume up higher on the AKG's to around 50% for a normal to moderate listening level. Do you think an external amp/DAC would offer better sound quality? I like listening to nice sounbding music, bus as you might have guessed i'm not exactly a buff on the technical side.
Any help would be appreciated.

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 8
  Hi guys. I just picked up the AKG 701's, (previously had ATH-M50's) and i was wondering if an amp/DAC would be of any benefit. I'm running my headphones through an Asus Xonar D2X soundcard on my PC. I do have to crank the volume up higher on the AKG's to around 50% for a normal to moderate listening level. Do you think an external amp/DAC would offer better sound quality? I like listening to nice sounbding music, bus as you might have guessed i'm not exactly a buff on the technical side.

A good DAC-HPamp will likely have a lot less distortion at that listening level - they're not just for power outright but for cleaner, quieter (ie no background noise) power.  That said it's not going to be a night and day difference unless your D2X or whatever else you might have been driving any given headphone with were distorting very badly, and there's no way to tell if you will be able to appreciate the improvements.

Note that in some cases those who do hear a difference are listening with the better audio gear set louder, although in a way that speaks to better quality since you can go louder with a lot less distortion, but then there's the question of whether that's even safe for extended periods as opposed to "ooooh here comes my favorite track!"

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 8
The K701 is a very detail revealing phone, and its also kind of difficult to drive properly.  It has a lower than typical sensitivity, and thus needs power.  Unless you are like me and listen to whisper quiet volumes, and only turn it up occasionally.  But it doesn't sound like you are in that camp.  But even at whisper quiet volumes its DEFINITELY revealing enough to highlight sonic "color" differences in amp circuits.

Per Tylls data, your ATH-M50 only needs .072Vrms / .13mW of power to achieve 90db.  Conversely the K701 needs .32Vrms / 1.57mW

1.57mW doesn't look like much power on paper, but in terms of RELATIVE power, thats a factor of 12 times the difference between your two headphones.  Note also that Tylls data is rms, Theres a good possibility in reality both cans need more than that for dynamic peaks, headroom and clarity.

I don't normally make comments like this, not knowing a thing about the capabilities of your sound card headphone circuit.  But just based on your sonic impressions, and how you have to turn it up so loud just to get a sufficient volume... I for one definitely think an amp upgrade would be a wise choice.

Apr 13, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 8
  Hi guys. I just picked up the AKG 701's, (previously had ATH-M50's) and i was wondering if an amp/DAC would be of any benefit. I'm running my headphones through an Asus Xonar D2X sound card on my PC. I do have to crank the volume up higher on the AKG's to around 50% for a normal to moderate listening level. Do you think an external amp/DAC would offer better sound quality? I like listening to nice sounding music, bus as you might have guessed I'm not exactly a buff on the technical side.

Hopefully you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, before installing the Xonar D2X or the Asus software.

The Asus Xonar D2X is already a good DAC (Digital to Analog Converter), it just does not come with a dedicated (true?) headphone amplifier.
I think it has something more like a line-output jack that also pretends to be a headphone output.

So all you really need to do is figure out a budget for how much your willing to spend for a external headphone amplifier.
The cheapest one I would recommend is the FiiO E11K headphone amplifier ($60).
(the E11K can be powered off a USB port or it's own built in battery)
Schiit has the Magni 2 for $99 or the Vali for $119.
The O2 ($130?) is a nice amplifier if you want something that can run off AC or it's built in batteries.

Apr 15, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks guys. (I know it's a late reply) I know the 'burn in process' is much debated, but the sound seems to have increased in quality, whether this is a placebo what does it matter. From your comments I guess getting an amp is a good idea. The Schiit Vali seems like a good choice, with it being a valve amp I guess it would counter the slight harshness/metallic tone from the 701's. =) 

Apr 15, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 8
  Thanks guys. (I know it's a late reply) I know the 'burn in process' is much debated, but the sound seems to have increased in quality, whether this is a placebo what does it matter. From your comments I guess getting an amp is a good idea. The Schiit Vali seems like a good choice, with it being a valve amp I guess it would counter the slight harshness/metallic tone from the 701's. =) 

Yea, try the Vali
Which 701s do you have? Q701 or K701 (or other?).

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #8 of 8
  I have the K701's

You might consider reading up and asking about headphone amplifiers on this thread.
(maybe they recommend the Vali also).
http://www.head-fi.org/t/321237/k701-appreciation-thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back