Just a quick one...
Aug 4, 2005 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ZackT

500+ Head-Fier
Headphone advice please....

My brother-in-law wants to buy an iPod for when he travels (proffessional soccer) he was gonna just use the ones that come with it but I want him to get something better. I'll even pay (he's a nice guy).

So what I'd like to know from you guys what you'd recommend as a good (and inexpensive) iPod bud replacement.

I'm NOT gonna streatch to the $100 + headphones but something that will give good bass response and better overall sound than the ones that come with it.

Thanks.

ZT

Aug 4, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 10
I got my mom er6i for 75 shipping from buy.com and a coupon. The shure 2e's.. Otherwize the standard Sony's are better then ipod headphones.

Aug 4, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
I got my mom er6i for 75 shipping from buy.com and a coupon. The shure 2e's.. Otherwize the standard Sony's are better then ipod headphones.

Thanks, I'd get him the er6i's if I could - but still a bit pricy as a gift. Also not sure if they are bassy enough for the iPod (tell me I'm wrong).

Which Sonys do you recommend?

What about the Senn ear buds?

ZT

Aug 4, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
White EX51/71s should keep him satisifed - tons of bass, and a little isolation too. Go for whichever is cheaper.

(Sony MDR-EX51LP, Sony MDR-EX71SL)

You snuck in there gshan. Thanks for the Sony advice. I'll search for a good price on them.

ZT

Aug 4, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackT
Thanks, I'd get him the er6i's if I could - but still a bit pricy as a gift. Also not sure if they are bassy enough for the iPod (tell me I'm wrong).

er6i's aren't that bassy, he may be dissapointed. Shure e2c's have more bass but less detail and clarity. Still way better than stock buds.
Quote:

Which Sonys do you recommend?

ex51s/71s
Quote:

What about the Senn ear buds?

Senn mx-500/550 sound very nice (clean and ballanced) for $15 buds. Again better than stock buds.

Aug 4, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 10
Well, since since nobody else has done it, I shall go ahead and give the inevitable ksc75 recommendation
tongue.gif
. They really are amazing little phones. For only $15, you can't go wrong

Aug 4, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 10
Hi ZackT,

Sony EX51s/71s can be found on Trademe easily and maybe try your local Sony Style stores for the full RRP
eek.gif
Canalphones (ER-6i) are probably not the best to give as a gift since the fit/comfort level is quite subjective. The Sony's semi-canalphone (IMHO) is better.

Best of luck,

Overlunge

p.s Your brother-in-law is one lucky dude...

Aug 4, 2005 at 11:48 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
Hi ZackT,

Sony EX51s/71s can be found on Trademe easily and maybe try your local Sony Style stores for the full RRP
eek.gif
Canalphones (ER-6i) are probably not the best to give as a gift since the fit/comfort level is quite subjective. The Sony's semi-canalphone (IMHO) is better.

Best of luck,

Overlunge

p.s Your brother-in-law is one lucky dude...

The EX51 and 71 can be had on Amazon for $25 and $30 respectively:
51: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846
71:http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846

There is no difference in sound; the cables are different however. The EX71 has a short cable + extension while the EX51 just has a single longer cable.

The EX71 is typically white to match the iPod but for some reason Amazon doesn't carry that model anymore...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back