just a funny visit to the nearest electronics store
Dec 27, 2011 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

pogodrummer

100+ Head-Fier
So about a week ago i went to my nearest store to  take a look at the beats pro for a friend that is currently away.
I hate beats, ok, they look damn good (i have a not-so-legit pair of pros here (which btw sound better)), but the sound is pretty terrible...
So i walk into the audio department and i ask the guy if he can show me the headphones.
He is a bit reclutant but in the end agrees to take them out.
I plug them into my portable rig (24/96 flacs on iphone 4 -> fiio LOD ->fiio e11) and put them on.
overwhelming bass, not that defined, pretty clear highs and nothing else in the middle.
They sound a lot better than the studios, but they are still sub-standard, considering their price tag...

So i say thanks to the guy and he asks me for what kind of use does my friend need them.
I tell him he's a DJ and his HDJ1000s are falling apart (guy looks at me as if i were talking arabic),
he then proceeds to grab me by the shirt and drags me in front of the beats stand.
And almost yelling at me he tells me me and my friend have no clue about audio and if he's a DJ he should definitively get the studios, 
because they have noise cancellation. "they're not called STUDIO for nothing you know?"

I immediately left the store walking backwards fearing he'd come behind me with a rambo machete...
never going to that store again :p

So, did you ever experience something like this?

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #2 of 15
Since when did a studio need ANC? And since when was a DJ booth a studio?

I laughed. If your friend is seriously looking and is a DJ though...I'd suggest the A&H Xone 53. Fantastic headphone for spinning...although the HD 25-1 II might be a good pick as well. The isolation really helps if he's on an open stage.

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #3 of 15
I actually walked into a Sony store once and asked if they had any good headphones, with no regards to looks. The guy actually tried to look for some MDR V6's, and couldn't find them. I'm half surprised because I was expecting XB500's.

Regards to your friend though, try upgrading to HDJ2000's. Can't go wrong with something that's built like a V-MODA/tank. The 1000's are utter crap since they always fall apart. 500's surprisingly aren't (so far).

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 15

Quote:

I laughed. If your friend is seriously looking and is a DJ though...I'd suggest the A&H Xone 53. Fantastic headphone for spinning...although the HD 25-1 II might be a good pick as well. The isolation really helps if he's on an open stage.

I don't exactly know what cans has he worked with, but he told me he would buy the pros just for the looks on stage...
something about guetta using them...
guetta... go figure...

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
I actually walked into a Sony store once and asked if they had any good headphones, with no regards to looks. The guy actually tried to look for some MDR V6's, and couldn't find them. I'm half surprised because I was expecting XB500's.

Regards to your friend though, try upgrading to HDJ2000's. Can't go wrong with something that's built like a V-MODA/tank. The 1000's are utter crap since they always fall apart. 500's surprisingly aren't (so far).

well that is one hell of a nice guy... in my area there is only one pro audio shop, the others just have emplyoees which don't even understand
what they're reading off the box when trying to sell something... ("yeah it has 102db sensitivity so it's gonna sound very good"-type of answer )
didn't know about the 500/1000 thing... I'm not a dj, i am slowly understanding my daw and making some stuff, but for now just a couple basic mashups... ^^

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #6 of 15
The HDJ 2000 is a great choice as well. 

Guetta uses them because they're paying him tons of money. Heck he co-designing a new set for them. He's also pretty bad in general. If you're admiring pop DJs at least go with Calvin Harris or Deadmau5. :D

Dec 28, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
The HDJ 2000 is a great choice as well. 

Guetta uses them because they're paying him tons of money. Heck he co-designing a new set for them. He's also pretty bad in general. If you're admiring pop DJs at least go with Calvin Harris or Deadmau5. :D

Hahaha i think you got it all wrong :p
my friend wants to be "mainstream looking", not me...
i personally hate guetta :p just because he has 5-minute produced beats and multi-million collabs with guys like flo rida...
i disliked calvin harris the moment i heard the rihanna collab...
deadmau5 aka joel zimmerman aka halcyon441 is my absolute FAVORITE dj out there... I think he puts real thought into this songs... I am following him since the beginning of time, and i am his n1 fan :) 
i just love the creativity he has 

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #8 of 15
I was more referring to your friend rather than you. I wasn't saying those were your tastes. 

I (personally) love the Rihanna colab. We found love is a fantastic, catchy, clubby song. Guetta just hasn't done much I enjoy, while Calvin Harris has. That's why I dislike him...not because he's too 'commercial'. Deamau5 is still a favorite to listen to, but I've seen him too many times and watched too many interviews to actually like him as a DJ. Producer, sure I'll listen to it...Person? He's a total jerk. DJ? His sets have 0 creativity. 

My 'commercial' blinders came off a long time ago because I was into the Metal and Alternative scenes. I saw too many people start to hate too many bands for 'selling out' to ever do that with music I enjoyed. 

Quote:

Hahaha i think you got it all wrong :p
my friend wants to be "mainstream looking", not me...
i personally hate guetta :p just because he has 5-minute produced beats and multi-million collabs with guys like flo rida...
i disliked calvin harris the moment i heard the rihanna collab...
deadmau5 aka joel zimmerman aka halcyon441 is my absolute FAVORITE dj out there... I think he puts real thought into this songs... I am following him since the beginning of time, and i am his n1 fan :) 
i just love the creativity he has 

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #9 of 15
That's what i always wondered "so which is it, DJ or Studio? Or do they just use these buzz words to make something sound legit?"

Dec 29, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #10 of 15

yes, you are totally right, it's catchy, but it's just too "4 chord song" style...
about deadmau5, i agree, he's not a dj, his sets are basically all the same, but he is one hell of a producer.
Have you met him in person? How many concerts have you been to with him playing? just wondering ;P
and yes, he is a jerk xD

about the commercial thing i must also agree with you, where i live too many teenagers are of the "screw commercial sh**" kind, while i think some bands just got popular because of their good music... they're not commercial...
sorry for my bad english
Quote:
I was more referring to your friend rather than you. I wasn't saying those were your tastes. 

I (personally) love the Rihanna colab. We found love is a fantastic, catchy, clubby song. Guetta just hasn't done much I enjoy, while Calvin Harris has. That's why I dislike him...not because he's too 'commercial'. Deamau5 is still a favorite to listen to, but I've seen him too many times and watched too many interviews to actually like him as a DJ. Producer, sure I'll listen to it...Person? He's a total jerk. DJ? His sets have 0 creativity. 

My 'commercial' blinders came off a long time ago because I was into the Metal and Alternative scenes. I saw too many people start to hate too many bands for 'selling out' to ever do that with music I enjoyed. 

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #12 of 15
Never met him but watched a ton of interviews. 

I've seen him 3 times though and had fun all 3 times. But it's pretty much him on state playing one ight after another. 

Quote:
yes, you are totally right, it's catchy, but it's just too "4 chord song" style...
about deadmau5, i agree, he's not a dj, his sets are basically all the same, but he is one hell of a producer.
Have you met him in person? How many concerts have you been to with him playing? just wondering ;P
and yes, he is a jerk xD

about the commercial thing i must also agree with you, where i live too many teenagers are of the "screw commercial sh**" kind, while i think some bands just got popular because of their good music... they're not commercial...
sorry for my bad english

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #14 of 15
there was a thread somewhere not on this forum that said that one of deadmau's friends actually produced some of the songs he had and then under a different name made music very similar to his , but deadmau has some good songs but i prefer wolfgangs over his

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back