Jus Lost my E2G....Want to get E500Pth
Feb 28, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 8
the 500 plays in a somewhat unique price space. It is $500 (at most places, save for ebay).

@ $550 you can get UE 5c customs. A true custom, which is hard to beat

Now for things less than it:

@ $400 you can get UE Triple.Fi 10's. There are not a lot of these out there, so it is hard to get a feel for what most think about them.
@ $300 you can get Westone UM2's, many really like them and rank them favorably with e500's.
@ $400 (maybe) you can get the Westone UM3's WHEN they come out.

I hade the e500 for a short time. I liked its sound and comfort (of the IEMs) but hated the cables on it. You could tow a car with them they are so thick. To me, that and the $500 price made me return them. I have UM2's that I prefer. I bought a PTH device to use with any IEM.

$500 was just too much for me and the listening I do. If I went that high I would go for the UE5c for sure, just to have a custom.

Feb 28, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by emperorarghoslen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey I jus lost my E2G and wanted to upgrade to E500 for a while so now I plan to do it. What other earphones would you recommend in the Price range of the E500

If you like the Shure sound, then the E500's are a great upgrade. And fear not about the cable, geez, they are no bigger than the ones on my E3C's and you don't have to use the PTH gizmo, just swao it out for either the 3 foor or 9" cable - use only what you need.

Sonically, the E500's are superb. Good balance, full bass (with good seal) and comfortable - ask me if they're comfortable? They are about as easy to install and easy to wear as any IEM's I've tried short of custom (and you can have custom molds done up for the E500's if you so desire.

As Nike is so fond of saying - JUST DO IT!

Mar 1, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 8
IMHO, if they made a model with a normal 40some inch cable (and thinned it out) and sold it without the PTH . . . for $350ish, they would not be able to keep up with the demand.

That all said (and even with my first post above) odd are you would be very happy with the 500's.

Mar 1, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 8
i recently purchased e500s as an upgrade from my e3cs and super.fi 5ebs. let me say... it was the best decision i made... i couldn't be more satisfied with the e500s. they're SUCH a good IEM! i really dont' mind the cable that much at all. surely it's thick but it's not so thick that it drives me nuts.

i'll admit, the westone UM1/UM2 cables are heavenly and nothing i've experienced tops them, but if you lived with other shures then you should be fine with the cable. the PTH does create a bit of a cable jungle though... but it works out well in the end.

get the e500, you'll be glad you did!

Mar 1, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #8 of 8
yeah i believe you can find a seller on ebay (store) that sells them for around $345 shipped or so i saw in a thread a while ago on here. i managed to get mine for $300 shipped brand new so i must say that it was well worth the investment for me.

even for $350-$400, they're great IEMs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back