Juno - not overrated?
Jan 17, 2008 at 5:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

dizzyorange

500+ Head-Fier
I went to see the movie expecting very little, after hearing from a few buddies that it was the most overrated thing since Derek Jeter.

And.. you know what.. it's the best movie I've seen in years. What a rare film it is these days that is funny without absurdism and touching without melodrama. I left the theatre with the biggest grin on my face.

Jan 17, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #3 of 43
I loved it, but I'm an ellen page + michael cera + jason bateman fanboy
smily_headphones1.gif

and I love teenage/high school based indie films
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #4 of 43
i can see how some might not like this film...and that's fine. but it made me grin like dizzyorange said. some films you like b/c they're two hours of mindless fascination. pretty actors, big explosions, suspensions of belief. others, like juno, captivate you by making you care about its characters.

Jan 17, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #5 of 43
Local newspaper reviewer gave Juno 4/5 here. She also rated American Gangster and gave it 3.5/5.

It's kinda hard for me to actually think that this movie is better than American Gangster. I'm gonna see it and if it's crap or so so, I'm gonna write letter to her. Just like a bored grandma.

Jan 17, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #6 of 43
I didn't like American Gangster. It jumped through time and scenes so quickly that I gave up on it after a few minutes.

As for Juno, I too went in not expecting much, and although some parts seemed to be a bit forced in humor and personality, it was a great creative movie.

Jan 17, 2008 at 10:10 AM Post #9 of 43
I liked it for being a grin moment movie. Creative and refreshing overall. Laugh-out-of-your-seat comedies with those convenient funny situations get a little old sometimes.

I hope that Diablo Cody finds great success and brings us more projects.

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #10 of 43
I thought it was decent enough, I give it a B. I only laughed a few times, and grinned a few times. Ellen Page is pretty irresistable IMO, and the supporting cast was good. But the dialogue that was supposed to be fast-paced and witty, especially in the beginning of the movie, just didn't click with me. It was self-consciously "indie" in a way, with the drawn opening sequence and the actors singing the songs.

I don't know. I've seen movies I thought were a lot more enchanting. It was fine.

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #11 of 43
My girlfriend loved it. I thought it was pretty good. I don't understand all the hype. There are a lot of flaws and unrealistic scenes in this movie. I read a critic who said he thinks Ellen Page will be one of the great actors, and this was one of the great performances. She was ok but give a break. She tended to bark out her lines like a muppet. She has a kind of creepy/hollow child actor maturity, like there is nothing behind the eyes. There is an overcleverness to many scenes, too smart writerly dialogue being puppeted by the actors. Or when Juno meets the adoptive parents and comes in immediatly shooting from the hip. Surely there would be at least a little social hesitation there, I mean why wouldn't the director have her take some sort of breath and ease into the situation? There's lots of moments like this when I thought little tweaks might have made for a much better movie. Maybe the director and screenwriter are a bit youngish.

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowpogo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the dialogue that was supposed to be fast-paced and witty, especially in the beginning of the movie, just didn't click with me. It was self-consciously "indie" in a way, with the drawn opening sequence and the actors singing the songs.

Yeah I agree with you there. The beginning was pretty awkward.

As for the scene where she meets the adoptive parents, I think I would've acted exactly the same way at age 16.

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzyorange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I agree with you there. The beginning was pretty awkward.

As for the scene where she meets the adoptive parents, I think I would've acted exactly the same way at age 16.

Being a smart-aleck, for sure at that age. Just the tone of it was off for me.

Jan 23, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #15 of 43
I thought some of the dialogue was almost too buzzword-filled, but what can you expect when it was written by an ex-stripper? Apparently, an Oscar nomination.

I thought Ellen Page was perfect, but from small interview clips I've seen, she played herself. I also really like coming-of-age films and the Moldy Peaches, so maybe this movie was made for me. I thought it had some really great lines and clever dialogue and overall very much enjoyed the movie. I saw it opening weekend before it was "hyped-up" though I guess.

The only downside I really found in the movie was Jennifer Garner, as I absolutely can't stand her acting or looking at her stupid grinning moon-chin of a face.

"Actually, Paul is very good at....... chair."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back