June 24th London Mini-Meet...
Jul 1, 2006 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

stewtheking

Headphoneus Supremus
So, this weekend saw another London Mini-meet. If you live in London and you missed a second one of these, then shame on you, where were you, on the moon? Not to worry though, as there’s another one coming upon the 30th July in Crouch end. (Check the meetings forum)

So this was a quite small affair, with just StevieDvd and myself for the main part, and Vic joining us in the middle before he had to run off back to work. (Too much dedication I feel). Both Vic and Steve are great guys, and a pleasure to have about the place, especially when they bring such great gear along.

So, to the impressions. Before Vic arrived, Steve and myself busied ourselves with portables. Basically I was checking out his two mighty fine portable amps against my young pretender. This was the first time I had seen anything by Ray Samuels, and I liked these babies very much. Build quality was superb, and both of these guys were really neatly presented, easy to get your fingers around, and sounded fab. From my iPod and using my e5c’s as the cans, both the SR-71 and the Hornet were really pretty darn great, the only problem I had with the SR-71 was there was some hiss. I know my ears are pretty picky with hiss, and I get a bit anal about it, but it definitely was there and annoyed me. The adjustable gain on the Hornet sorted this out for me, though, and I was able to put it out of my mind and have a more proper listen.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I did like this amp, and it certainly was a bit more capable than my Cmoy, but it really was only a little bit. My Cmoy is configured for unity gain, so if anything it’s more just a buffer with a volume control, and I assume that the hornet is doing a bit more than that, but the differences the Hornet gave me were not ones that I was really fussed about. There was a bit more detail, sure. There was a tad more bass and treble extension, definitely. But I had this nagging feeling I was missing something. I am sure that if I had one of these longer term I would learn to love the sound, but I am glad that my little home-build was not too embarrased.

This effect was not, however, continued when I tried them with another portable can, the KSC75. These seem pretty sensitive to amplification, and when these were tested with the same setup, the Ray Samuels amps easily trounced my own, with the differences in detail, and extension being far more apparent. That said, with funds as they are (decimated) I am unlikely to be placing an order here any time soon, but it’s certainly one for the future. In the interests of being thorough, I remember trying on Steve’s ATH FC7s, and remember them being pretty comfy, however I don’t think I got around to plugging them in for a listen, because about now, Vic arrived with armfuls of new toys.

Those of you following Vic’s “battle” thread will know that since the national meet he has been on a bit of a buying spree, and most of the spoils of that arrived at my house. I got a chance to have at least a brief listen to these before he left. I have just summarised my impressions on each one.

HD650 Balanced.
Not sure really which bit here was impressing me. These were great cans, clearly worlds above my 580’s, however in comparing the 2, I was going from stock 580’s up against recabled, balanced 650’s out of the Lavry. Although the differences were immediately apparent, I am not sure whether it was the different output from the lavry, or the better cable, or the better headphones that were making a difference. These were really nice however, and I am more seriously considering the upgrade from 580 to 650 in the near(ish) future.

K701
With all the hype surrounding these cans, I am not sure what I was expecting. Maybe I was expecting more than they were ever going to produce, but I went away from these disappointed. Firstly the comfort didn’t agree with me. I assume that the pads will squoosh in over time, but when I tried them, they were too firm. That, combined with the self-adjusting headband pushed them into the bottom of my ears, and annoyed me. The other thing is, I can’t get over how CHEAP they look. For a serious audio company, to cash in on iPod white in their flagship model is bad enough, but apart from the gorgeous leather headband, these felt tacky and plasticy. The sound on these was pretty good, with excellent detail and soundstage, but I felt a bit lacking in bass. Maybe as the pads squoosh in and the drivers move closer to the ear this would improve, but as is, I was underwhelmed.

SA5000
Firstly… WOW. In comparison to the AKG’s, Sony have done something very, very right with the look and feel of these cans. Gorgeous metal everywhere and really neat adjusting segments. These were probably the most comfortable cans I tried all day, and (excluding woodies) easily the most beautiful. That said, the sound was just not for me. The detail was too much, and the highs were a bit too prominent, just on the verge of sibilance. I have mentioned my picky ears before, and here again, the cans were just enough to annoy me. In spite of the superb looks, (really, photography does not do it justice) these are definitely not the cans for me.

W5000
At the last meet I was disappointed by these. I couldn’t get around the fit issues I was having, and didn’t manage to get a proper enjoyable listen out of them. This time, however Vic had fixed the “wings” on top and I was able to hear them properly. Although it was only a brief listen, I was clear that these are something special. Certainly one of the best, if not the best cans I have heard, these excel pretty much in every area. Mmmm… I wish I had had longer on these. But Cest la vie, there’s always next month.

Whilst we’re on the subject of headphones, and before a brief look at amps, I’ll say a few words about Steve’s ‘phones. Aside from the recabled balanced 650’s that I didn’t end up listening to, I was entering Grado/Allesandro country, and more specifically, Headphile country.

This was my first experience of Larry’s work other than in photographs, and his skills with wood are exactly as good as they are made out to be. Steve had headphiled MS-1’s MS2I’s and HHF-1’s.

Each of these cans was beautiful in their own right, and sound-wise very different. The MS-1 was startlingly similar to the SR-60, almost disappointingly so given the work that had clearly gone into it. This was the fun SR-60 sound I know and love, with a little bit more rounded wooden sound. The HHF-1’s were different, these reminded me a lot of how my RS-1 used to sound, rich and warm and fantastic. Made me realise just how much of a gift the HF-1 was to head-fi.

The MS2I were also a great draw, especially the chance to try the C-pads. Coming from somebody who was fairly happy with the comfort of bowl pads, these were still an improvement, and seemed to give the sound a bit more air, with the possible side effect of losing some bass response.

I was going to write about some amps here, but with one thing and another, and my computer losing the file I wrote the first time around, I have pretty much forgotten how they sounded, apart from that each of the solid state amps that arrived were pretty good, the corda and the original master fighting it out for top honours, the benchmark sitting below, and then the WNA, just bringing up the rear.

I will just mention Steve’s corking creek CD player that I had a brief listen to at the end, which seemed like a really great bit of kit, but unfortunately I had done a bit too much listening by this point to make any meaningful comparisons.

* sigh * Right, that’s all folks, the sum total of my impressions. And now for some pics.

minimeet24thjune016.jpg

Mmmmm… GORGEOUS red wood. I spy one of these in my distant future.
minimeet24thjune011.jpg

Sexy silver DAC and CD player combo. That Benchmark DAC is so beautifully made.
minimeet24thjune008.jpg

The Corda amp, (I forget it’s full title)
minimeet24thjune005.jpg

The WNA, a great little amp
minimeet24thjune004.jpg

The original master. Sleek, and less dusty than the picture makes out…
minimeet24thjune001.jpg

Finally, the scene in my living room. Can you spot all the gear?

We had a great day here, and hope to have just as much fun at the July Meet, coming up later this month.

Stew

Jul 2, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #2 of 5
Thanks for the impressions, Stew, been looking forward to these.
I'm slightly surprised at a few of your findings and impressions, but that's what makes the hobby what it is, eh?

Sounds like you had a good day and a perfect warm-up for our meet at the end of this month.
There should be plenty of gear in attendance.

Jul 3, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 5
Sorry for my bad form in not posting impressions sooner.

First off my thanks to Stew (Stewking) for putting up with two of us older head-fiers and for taking the time and trouble to instigate a UK meet, no matter how small we need to get the headfi spirit going in the UK.

As it was such a small meeting in someones home I did not take a camera with me out of respect to peoples privacy, and to avoid being seen as a show-off.

Aside from the intention of actually meeting a few more members in person and to be sociable I had a keen interest to hear Vic's Lavry Dac10 and to try my HD650 Zu Mobius balanced with it. More on this devious intention later...

Being the first to arrive out of the large number of visitors (two) allowed Stew and I to talk portable setups. I could see that Stew was at a point where finance would have a bigger say over equipment choices than it would for either Vic or I and felt a little guilty bringing out temptations such as the Hornet, SR71 & Microstack, not to mention the expensive interconnects. I was a little relieved (though a bit surprised) that he was still happy with his unity gain cmoy. My portable setup is a set of UM2's driven by the now modded Hornet out of a 30gb Ipod video (with qables.com hard-wired dock connector). Stew uses the 'similar' Shure E5, via his cmoy and 4g Ipod (with a nice wide selection of music) using diy cables. So we were able to get the various 'try this with that' tests out of the way just in time for Vic arrival. One of the downsides of a small meet is that the audience for a particular setup may be just the one person. At the UK Nottingham meet I can remember several of us comparing the same setup and the differing opinions/tastes. Having been through a selection of cmoy's, mints on my journey to portable nirvana I declined to try Stew's cmoy. This may have come across as rude (hopefully not) but I did not want to be put in a position to give an honest opinion and risk upsetting my host so early - it may sound great but my days of carrying a cmoy around are long gone.

Vic arrived, and though I now some won't believe this, he arrived on foot with a couple of bags with his gear in. My initial reaction was he must have left the good stuff at home, but this was far from the truth. I packed my gear for the meet with some consideration for the new/good gear and much less for the older and less used gear. When Vic started to unpack out came the Lavry, HD650 Balanced Equinox, AKG701, Sony SA5000 and the sexy W5000. Vic also brought his Iriver (rockbox'd) as a digital source and the 'Original' headphone amp which I regret to say suffered an injury in transit.

Unfortunately Vic had just a few hours to spare so we tried to tick off a few of his 'want to try' options first. Out came the two sets of balances HD650s which allowed both Vic and I to compare the cables. At this point we had not really catered for the fact that we were using a slightly weaker source (sorry Iriver lovers) and I think we lost out a little due to that error.

Using the Lavry as a hub we had the Iriver as source and both balanced headphones connected directly and a feed into Vic's Original amp to drive unbalanced cans. Boy was this an eye opener (or more like an ear deafener); Vic listens at volume, loud for me is switched off for Vic. When I tried a set of cans at his volume it was like plugging headphones into a jet engine at full throttle, I think Stew had the same shock at the sheer volume Vic enjoys.

I perhaps spent more time helping Vic and Stew tryout some of the gear I had brought since I achieved my objectives fairly quickly. Nice though the Lavry was it was not stirring anything in my loins or wallet (I'll put this down to the source primarily but also since the style was too 'studio' for my tastes). I was happy that the Benchmark DAC1 and Balanced HD650s were not completely outclassed.

Too many headphones/too little time

The Grado HHF1s were hooked up in several amp pairings and seemed to go down well with both Stew & Vic - this is where you need to be Team Grado I suppose. Construction wise compared with other cans present the Grado/Alessandros fall behind and I think this was a factor for both Stew & Vic.

As usual even though I'd probably packed the kitchen sink with all the stuff I brought I missed out a key connector. I failed to bring the adapter which allows you to use the coax digital in on the Headroom Microdac, though we had optical cables galore the sources (apart from the Iriver) were coax. Still I managed to get a setup for Vic to try the Microdac (on his to do list) which I paired up with the Microamp, Hornet & SR71. I know which seemed to get his attention most but I'll leave that to him to tell if he so wishes.

With all the forum threads on the H5 from Jan Meier going around the other amp Vic was keen to try (as was Stew who was keen to try out all the goodies) was the Corda HA2 Mkii SE and that was duly fired up. And the usual suspects of Vics headphones and the Grado/Alessandro plugged in. We took advantage of the two headphone sockets on the Corda and the funny moment of the afternoon was Stew's Dad popping in to see which headphones were leaking so bad - it was Vic wearing one set around his neck with the others over his ears. With his volume level settings it was more like surround sound, we were just missing the sub-woofer.

Well we had to drop Vic off at a tube station so he could go and earn some more head-fi pocket money so a substantial percentage of the value of the equipment went with him.

As Stew has mentioned we did get a good CD source out (the Creek CD50) connected up with the Benchmark DAC1 and the Corda so I did get to let Stew compare his setup with one costing a lot more. Value for money (VFM)- well that's dependent on your current wallet constraints, both Vic and I are older and have more funds to play with then Stew so our toys are bigger and more expensive. Despite some folk talking of night & day differences I can imagine that Stew may have felt he was getting better VFM than the old guys but at least he may appreciate that the quality does not increase in line with the cost (oh that it did we would be talking chalk & cheese not night & day differences).

A pleasant day but somewhat odd for me, we had too few people and too much variety of equipment to go through in detail. It just goes to show that getting the balance right is important - a small meeting should perhaps be more focused, running through various setups for one listener in a short time can be tiring and loses the quality aspect. A great contrast to the UK Nottingham meet where I was the newbie and there was so much equipment and people to meet in person.

So what was so devious in my intention at getting to grips with the Lavry? Well I had recently bought the Benchmark DAC1 and had tried this in both my PC setup and my main rig to great success. So much so if the price of the Benchmark had been a little lower I'd have bought two of 'em. So the big question was whether to try a Lavry as well, and would it push the microdac out of my setup. Good news for me is that the Lavry did not outshine the Benchmark by such a margin that the Lavry would become a mandatory purchase. As such the Benchmark is nestling away nicely in the main rig and the keen little microdac is doing nicely with the PC and currently servicing the SR71. So the wallet has had a reprieve for a while - aren't head-fi meetings wonderful then!!!

Regards

Steve

Jul 3, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 5
Hi Steve, good to hear your impressions.

Apologies if this message arrives more than once, I tried to write a response once, and it didn't make it, so I am starting again. Curse you head-fi!!!

Firstly, don't feel bad about not trying the Cmoy, and don't worry about appearing rude, your face reads like a book and it was clear you were doing it out of politeness and not out of arrogance. That said, I think my Cmoy sounds better than you might expect, so you can give it a brutal review at the crouch end meet!!! But again, having said that, it's unlikely you'd prefer it to the Hornet, so maybe you won't bother...

Yup, Vic's volume does still shock me... I think a few here listen way beyond what would cause massive pain to others... but hey ho, his ears still seem to be in working order.

And yes, I completely agree about the VFM aspect of my rig. My main problem is that I have to have my rig in a "finished" and balanced state when I go back to uni, because once I finish my job for the year, there is no upgrades. Maybe that's why I have to convince myself that I don't really need an upgrade! I think that both of the other guys have well chosen gear, in terms of VFM, but just your price/performance ratio kicks in a notch or ten higher than mine.

Anyway, enough of my wittering.

Stew

Jul 3, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks again for the impressions, guys.
Steve, did you get much of a chance to listen to the Original Master? I'd be interested to hear your opinions on that, seeing as both of us have a similar mid-budget frame of reference in the Amber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back