Jumping to Mid Fi Headphone?
Jan 25, 2015 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BearMonster

100+ Head-Fier
So i only have my Soundmagic hp 100 a entry level headphone. I've been wondering about jumping onto Mid fi headphones such as Akg k712, Philips x2 & HE-400i.

My question is whether jumping to mid fi is worth it. Will i notice a big difference from my hp 100 or is the difference so small, it would be better for me to save up and go for the high ends such as hd 800?

Jan 25, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 5
You know something? I'm kind of going through the same thing. And honestly, after getting enough low-end and mid-range headphones and finding a few that sufficiently satisfy me, I feel that it would be best to save up for the HD 800, then add the Abyss later. And I'm talking about my own buying decisions here. Yours just happen to be on a similar path. I still want to get at least a few more headphones in the $100 to $400 range, but after that, high-end here we come!

As for worth, that's very subjective. You may think it's totally worth it or you may even dislike some of the more expensive models. Every headphone has its own sound signature, and even in the four figure range, there are plenty of headphones that may sound awful to you.

In the end, you just have to listen with your own ears and make a personal decision. That's what Head-Fi is all about.
normal_smile .gif

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 5
So IMO its better to stay in the "mid fi" for a bit I spent a year + there looking for the sound I liked then moved up you also will need a good amp/DAC setup if you don't have one now. If you are willing to buy and sell you can get in and out of headphones for $50 to $100 and or less if you are lucky. Then when you take the plunge at $1000+ you will have a much better chance of getting the right headphone for you and there's some really good cans under $500 out there.
Just some food for thought.

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 5
Speaking of trying out headphones, here are two other options.

1. Audition headphones for free at shops and meets.
  2. Buy new from retailers with good return policies, then return what you don't like.

Jan 26, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 5
  So i only have my Soundmagic hp 100 a entry level headphone. I've been wondering about jumping onto Mid fi headphones such as Akg k712, Philips x2 & HE-400i.

My question is whether jumping to mid fi is worth it. Will i notice a big difference from my hp 100 or is the difference so small, it would be better for me to save up and go for the high ends such as hd 800?

That's far too subjective and personal to your situation for anyone to give you a firm answer.

The best bang for the buck (in terms of quality music reproduction) is from mid-fi cans.  For example for anywhere near $200 its hard to beat the new AKG K 7XX.  Many people (although far fewer per capita on this forum) would be very happy to have that can, the HD 600 or 650, DT 880, X2 or SR 325e as their end game home can.  The out of production HE 500 can be had for $500 and less.  It is as good as or better than some Flagships.

Cans in the elite band like the HD 800, LCD-3 and HE-6 are better, but the prices shoot sharply upward to reach them.  The Abyss (and probably HE 1000) super tier is even worse in terms of cost for still better.

Spend some time here and get a feel for what you can get at the various levels and see where your personal cost/benefit value meter hits its zenith (note some of the newest offerings & versions are not included):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

After that you have to listen to some of these cans (the more the better) to know for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back