Jumping from the HD650 to the HD800.
Dec 29, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #16 of 25
Hi Sysfail
I auditioned the 800s extensively before choosing the 700s. The 800s are a triumph of detail and analysis of musical content but I felt those benefits were delivered at a price which was a sound signature that would not tolerate some musical matches and became tiresome quite often. I don't know if bright followed overly analytical or the other way round but the result was a pickiness I didn't want from a pair of "go to" phones. So a preference for the 700s was emphasised by a 50% lower cost and that they were much easier to drive so less picky on amp / dacs too.

I used to own the DT990s years ago and I enjoyed them for what they are but they're not equal to the pricier Sennheisers in my opinion.

FYI, I am just burning in a pair of ZMF Blackwoods and, so far they are musical, detailed and totally lacking in the shrill factor. The only compromise at 100 + hours seems to be a slightly boosted sub-bass which, for me, is a small price to pay.

Dec 29, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #18 of 25
Well comfort is probably one of the most important things I look for in a headphone and that's why the HD700 and HD800 are big choices for me.

I might have to try the HD700 out to see how they sound. The HD800 as well.

Part of me wants to just get the HD800 + a Schiit Bifrost, keep the Valhalla 2, sell everything else, and call it quits. Saves the hassle figuring all this stuff out. 
confused.gif
 lol.

Dec 29, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #19 of 25
  I need some input from people that has heard both or own both the HD650 and HD800. I am very much enjoying the HD650 with the Modi 2 Uber + Valhalla 2 setup and I'd like to know if jumping to the HD800 can take the experience even further. If so, to what degree (huge/obvious or slight/subtle)?

I listen to mostly rock from indie/alternative to hardcore/metalcore, as well as some pop/hip-hop/rap/EDM/etc. Not so much classical, jazz, etc.

Other recommendations as upgrades to the HD650 are welcome too but the reason I chose HD800 is because I already have a system setup perfectly for it (Modi 2 Uber + Valhalla 2) which means no orthodynamic headphones, etc.

Some input would be great, thanks!

I have both cans .

I do not listen to much of your genre's of music....I mainly listen to blues/rock...classic rock

Both the HD650 & HD800 are great with these genres.

I believe your system is pretty good for the HD800.

You can really get some nice deals on the HD800 right now....maybe try it to see if you like it, but keep the HD650 for the time being, until you know for sure. The HD800 is super comfy.

There are people who think the HD800 is superior technically, but dont produce musically, that is too analytical.....I am not in that category...they make my head bob and feet tap, they are very musical to my ears.  
smile.gif

Hope this helps.

Dec 29, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #20 of 25
  I have both cans .

I do not listen to much of your genre's of music....I mainly listen to blues/rock...classic rock

Both the HD650 & HD800 are great with these genres.

I believe your system is pretty good for the HD800.

You can really get some nice deals on the HD800 right now....maybe try it to see if you like it, but keep the HD650 for the time being, until you know for sure. The HD800 is super comfy.

There are people who think the HD800 is superior technically, but dont produce musically, that is too analytical.....I am not in that category...they make my head bob and feet tap, they are very musical to my ears.  
smile.gif

Hope this helps.

That's great to know! Now I really want to give the HD800 a try. Thanks for the input!

Dec 29, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #21 of 25
Originally Posted by sysfail /img/forum/go_quote.gif

hbuus and albaman, have you both listened to the HD800 as well and just preferred the HD700 over it?

Also curious, I have heard the Beyer DT990 600ohm, and I know a lot of people say the same things as the HD800 and HD700 where it's "bright", "fatiguing", etc. If any of you have heard the DT990, how does it compare in terms of the "brightness" to the HD700 and/or HD800? Along the same lines? Worse? Better?

Sorry, I haven't heard HD800 or Beyerdynamic DT990, so I can't comment on those.

It sounds to me like you are intrigued by the HD800 and very curious to hear it, and that you need to get that out of your system before even considering getting HD700 instead :)
I'd certainly love to listen to it as well btw., I'm curious too.

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #22 of 25

That's great to know! Now I really want to give the HD800 a try. Thanks for the input!

If HD 600 was bright for you I don't think HD 800 would be a good idea...

I suggest instead of modding your HD 650 and call it a day. Having said that our curiosity can't be tamed and and it doesn't hurt to try to buy used for cheap and resell for minimal loss. 

Dec 29, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #23 of 25
Yeah I think I will just have to give it a try to get rid of the curiosity itch. Maybe I can use the "Treble Reducer" option on my setup to solve the problems if it's too bright. Might turn out to be a perfect solution.

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #24 of 25
Just a quick update.

I'm glad I decided to try it out for myself or else I wouldn't have known what I was missing out on. Started off "dry" and "cold" but with some pink noise burn-in and spending a couple days with them to hear them out, I fell in love, and I think this will be end game for me. Thank you all!

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back