Jumpin on the Bandwagen!
Jun 6, 2006 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

saab

500+ Head-Fier
I am so happy to finally get a picture and some information up of my newest DIY job:

7eb6e9db.jpg

These are DIY Mahogany woodies put on a Grado sr80. The screen is still not finished as I am waiting on a beefier solution, and I am still not sure about recabling. All in all, though, this has been well worth it.

I made them on a lathe, which was the most fun part. The finish is not the best, as there is some dust in the tops. I am also working on wood endcaps for the posts and wood Right and Left markers where the posts go into.

Anyways, just wanted to show you guys what I have been up to.

edit: the sound is definately different. The bass is a bit more resonant in a good way. I am sure this is due to the larger chambers.

Jun 6, 2006 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 3
Nicely done! Those look great!
rs1smile.gif

Working on a lathe is a lot of fun, and when the result looks that good, the reward is obvious.

Congrats, and again, great job from one DIYer to another!
Ian

Jun 6, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 3
Yeah, It was a lot of fun. I have to buy a lathe; I used my wife's Grandpa's.
tongue.gif
Once I get a lathe of my own, I plan on doing this again for my 325's, but I know what I am doing now. I would have cut the wood differently, made a slightly different shape, and used different sizes and methods for cutting out the inside.

Seeing the ones you made pushed me to thinking I could do it, and like you said, it was a ton of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back