Jukebox 3 owners..power supply question
Dec 6, 2004 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bubsdaddy

1000+ Head-Fier
I have acquired a NJB3 that came with no power supply. I can order one from Creative's site but I was wondering if one from Radio Shack would suffice. The only difference I see is the original had a 2.4v output and the RS has an 800mv output. Radio Shack Power Supply The cost difference is less than 5 dollars but I can buy it now and not wait for shipping. What do you think?

Dec 6, 2004 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by bubsdaddy
I have acquired a NJB3 that came with no power supply. I can order one from Creative's site but I was wondering if one from Radio Shack would suffice. The only difference I see is the original had a 2.4v output and the RS has an 800mv output. Radio Shack Power Supply The cost difference is less than 5 dollars but I can buy it now and not wait for shipping. What do you think?

I have no experience with the NJB3, but nonetheless, your statement is somewhat confusing. You claim the original power supply has a 2.4v output. And you say the RS replacement has an 800mv output. I think you meant to say that the RS has an 800mA rating (and the voltage output is adjustable between 3-12 volts), according to the link. The main concern is what the mA rating was for the original. As long as the mA rating for the original was equal to, or less than the mA rating for the RS, you will be fine with the RS supply.
Jeff

Dec 6, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 7
Will the RS charger automatically shut off when it no longer needs charging? Is that a mechanism in the charger or in the actual jukebox?

Dec 6, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the info and sorry for the confusion between volts and amps. I don't really have a firm grasp of the differences but I wanted to make sure I wasn't damaging the battery or player.

Dec 6, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 7
While I don't think it'll damage your JB3, the PSU could burn out quickly. You should aim for a power supply that delivers at least as much current as the original PSU does. 800ma = 33% of the original, not good.

Dec 6, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 7
Thinking I had lost my power supply, I made a new one. It works fine - 2800 mA, 5v output. It cost me about $30, not including the soldering iron and stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikawel
Will the RS charger automatically shut off when it no longer needs charging? Is that a mechanism in the charger or in the actual jukebox?

it's in the jukebox.

Also, it needs 5v, not 2.4...

Dec 7, 2004 at 4:05 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
While I don't think it'll damage your JB3, the PSU could burn out quickly. You should aim for a power supply that delivers at least as much current as the original PSU does. 800ma = 33% of the original, not good.

Thanks for the clarification! You are correct, and I would have had him purchasing much too small a supply (although in my defense, I DID say the current output rating of the new one should be the same as the old). I had no idea the NJB3, or any other hard drive player would draw that much current, as my experience is limited to vintage pcdps. Thanks again!
biggrin.gif

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back