Jukebox 3 or Nomad Zen?
Mar 11, 2003 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

JAG

100+ Head-Fier
Which is better?
Jukebox 3 seems a much better value with lower price as well as more features.

Is the Nomad Zen's appeal basically the smaller size? I like this a lot, but unless it is actually a better quality player then I will probably go for Jukebox 3.
Also does Archos compare favorably with these two?
I read somewhere that they are coming out with a new version.

I'm not interested in iPod.

Mar 11, 2003 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 11
The only advantage of the Zen is its size, which matters to alot people, including me. Its nice that the NJB3 can record/encode, but you can't exactley put it in your pocket now can you? I have alot of info about the Zen, see the link in my sig

Mar 12, 2003 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 11
Another huge factor....The Zen, much like the i Plod, has a sealed battery compartment.(can't change the battery with out sending it to the company and paying a fee ta boot) But with the NJB3, you're able to change the batteries when ever your little heart desires. Not to mention that it has 2 battery compartments so that you can buy an extra battery and get about 22 hours out of it...or so they say. I didn't keep mine long enough to find out unfortunately....sounded great, but had a really bad mechanical problem, and now I'm totally turned off to HD players completely.

good luck,

S.S.

Mar 12, 2003 at 6:19 AM Post #4 of 11
SS what mechanical problem did you encounter? I'm interested in a HDD player, but all of the offerings seem to have some problems that prevent me from actually buying one.

Mar 12, 2003 at 7:26 AM Post #7 of 11
Actually, MP3 jukebox portables have more than their fair share of mechanical problems. What's used for storage in such players is, after all, a hard drive - and a very delicate, very shock-damage-prone one at that. Moreover, the manufacturer's limited warranty on HD-based players doesn't cover such damage from shock, only factory slip-ups. If you're (relatively) lead-footed in your walking, like I am, then you wouldn't want to use that HD jukebox for listening while walking, so for those types of walkers, consider those HD-based players as stationary-use-only machines. If you don't heed this warning, you'll be out the full MSRP of that HD-based player every time it needs repair - because that's exactly what the manufacturers will charge you if they determine that you tried to use the player in motion in damaging the HD (that is, if they even repair it - some manufacturers won't even repair the unit, and they'll charge you for labour even then).

Mar 12, 2003 at 9:29 AM Post #8 of 11
uh... they're pretty damn resilient if mine are any example. They can take reasonable (small) drops and day-to-day bumps no problem. Notebook hard disks are built with shock-resistance in mind you know.

Mar 12, 2003 at 11:56 PM Post #10 of 11
Watchdog,

At first, everything was cool and I was really diggin' it. I had it for about a week, and didn't even take it out of my house becuase i was bogged with schoool work and didn't have the time to review the shI**y Creative software which enables the data transfers...

Finally, on a weekend, I transferred enough music on it to take a trip down to my favorite computer parts place (essential computers in Queens) and back home ..
Well, the 6 train is about 3 blocks from my house, and that's about the time it took in order for the problem to develope. As soon as I got in the station, and looked over the platform to see if the train was comming, the volume dipped all the way down, then back to normal again.

At first, I thought it was the file, becasue that one in particular isn't encoded well and has all the relative symptoms.

I skipped ahead to the next track and decided to move around...it happened again ! But here's the thing...I didn't have to really move at all in order for it to happen. I came to find out that just by brushing my hand ever so gently over a particular spot, (and i mean GENTLY) the volume would drop all the way down and fade back in to normal. (By the way, the whole time it was in the belt strap case that I bought with it, so it's not like it was just free and bouncing..it was actually quite secure on my pants. Hmm, that doesn't sound quite right does it ?
evil_smiley.gif
)

At this point, it just kept getting worse as time went on, it was occuring more frequently until finally, as I was comming home, the unit was infact, non-usable. It began to skip, and stammer along with the volume drops. I can't tell you how disappointed I was at this because I really thought that the sound quality was outstanding. Luckily, the people at techonweb.com were really cool and didn't try to fanagel me into getting a replacement. I just wanted my money back so that I could get my

SEXY ASS GREAT SOUNDING RELIABLE SLIM X iMP 350 !
biggrin.gif

I keep hearing people talk about hissing ...i have never heard a peep out of it other than the music I play.

Anyway, this sort of thing happens all the time....there are always bad apples in a basket, I see people complaining about defective I River iMP 350's all the time but I just happened to luck out with a good one. So go head and try it for yourself...I think that as long as you get a good one, you'll love it. It WAS however, a little too big for my tastes, but that's just me.
Good luck,

Sweet Spot

Mar 13, 2003 at 12:48 AM Post #11 of 11
SweetSpot thanks for the reply.

Given what I've read I think I'll continue with MD for truly portable use, if I get a HDD based player it will be more for transportable use so I think a NJB3 would suit me better than an iPod or Zen.

I agree the NJB3 is big and bulky for portable use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back