Judas Priest box set (remastered)
Mar 23, 2002 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
The Judas Priest box set hit store shelves in the US Tuesday. It is a cubicle grey box designed to look like an equipment box. It contains the long awaited final four Judas Priest remasters: Turbo, Priest...Live!, Ram It Down and Painkiller. The box has spacers for the other eight classic remastered CDs that were released late last year.

I've heard mixed reviews of the prior Judas Priest remasters but I'm pretty pleased with them. Priest Live sounds especially good and Painkiller is a remaster I've been waiting for for years. (Painkiller was one of my "reference" CDs back in the day.) I especially like the bass improvements on these remasters but its Rob Halford's dynamic range that ultimaely always steals the spotlight.

I only have three or four of the other ones, so I'll have to start fleshing out the rest of the box set. I also still need to grab the two pre-CBS Judas Priest releases that Priest can't seem to acquire the rights to. If anyone knows which version of these two discs to get, please let me know. I always wonder if the $30 import Victor discs from Japan that are designed to look like the original album are worhwhile pressings.

Mar 23, 2002 at 10:15 AM Post #2 of 8
The only problem with the "box" sets is the unique packaging often makes it unable to be stored with your other CDs in an organized rack/shelf system
frown.gif

I usually don't buy them for that reason alone, although there are several box sets I wouldn't mind getting.

Mar 23, 2002 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 8
This one is only 5x5 so it'll fit if you have a shelf but of course, won't if you have one of those slotted CD things. The only advantage of the box set is the box itself and a small CD sized booklet with band member photos. Only worth it to me because I intended to own them all anyway.

Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
The only problem with the "box" sets is the unique packaging often makes it unable to be stored with your other CDs in an organized rack/shelf system
frown.gif

I usually don't buy them for that reason alone, although there are several box sets I wouldn't mind getting.

Mar 23, 2002 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
frown.gif

I have two box sets myself, you don't have to put them next to your other CDs, you know.

Mar 23, 2002 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 8
Incidentally, Rob Halford's voice is perfect for the W2002.
Dammit.

Mar 23, 2002 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 8
kelly, WRT first two albums -- according to this post, there's a label called "original masters" that would be the one to buy. I don't know if those are the same remasters as the Victor discs.

Mar 23, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
kelly, WRT first two albums -- according to this post, there's a label called "original masters" that would be the one to buy. I don't know if those are the same remasters as the Victor discs.

Dusty, you have an RKV and you're a Priest fan. Whenever I make the "switch', I'm gonna have to look you up.--only a matter of time, ya know. Women--can't live with 'em, can't get past the gag reflex.

Anyway, the Original Masters ones are from the UK, are $15 each on cdnow.com and were remastered in 1999. The Victor one are from Japan, are $30 each and have a copyright date of 2002. Wanna ask you friend if he's gotten to hear those? I'm especially curious because Victor has also done the Black Sabbath collection (the American Black Sabbath releases are ass).

Mar 23, 2002 at 9:40 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Dusty, you have an RKV and you're a Priest fan. Whenever I make the "switch', I'm gonna have to look you up.--only a matter of time, ya know. Women--can't live with 'em, can't get past the gag reflex.

eek.gif
I'll take that as the compliment I'm sure it was intended as.

I don't think Jason hangs around those forums anymore, but I'll post...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back