JRiver on Mac, usage questions
Aug 5, 2016 at 5:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

johncarm

100+ Head-Fier
I am trying to use JRiver on Mac, but it's a difficult user interface. Nothing makes sense. 

So my problem is this. I previously used my FLAC library on Windows, with Foobar2000, and it was structured into folders. Things were not tagged in a regular or predictable fashion, so I didn't use tags at all to find stuff.

Now I'm on Mac, and I cannot find any media players like Foobar that let me organize by folders. I am forced to use tags. So I'm working on updating the tags for all my files.

Actually before I started the tags update, I imported my library into JRiver. It's classical music, and the names of the composers followed no consistent pattern. Nor did the genres, artists, etc. I set up a "column browser" view (like iTunes) and observed that each column (composer, genre, artist, album) was a total mess. But at least it let me start listening to a few albums, when I hunted around for them.

So then I started on a project of retagging my files. The files are on an external drive. I mostly work in Windows actually, which I am running on the Mac with BootCamp. I use various programs available in Windows that are better than what I can find on the Mac. I also need to split some FLACs according to CUE sheets, and Foobar is good for doing that. 

The problem is that I'm not seeing many of my changes to the tags in JRiver even though the music is stored in a folder that is set up for automatic import. 

I tried removing every file from the library and reimporting them, but I still get some problems related to the case (capitalization) of tags. Some of them appear with a different case than I created when I was working in Windows.

Is JRiver careful about how it handles case? Does it preserve it? Or is it cavalier about merging names that are the same except for case, or cavalier about how it displays the case of tags?

Any advice for working with this mess of tags is welcome.

Aug 5, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 2
I mostly work in Windows actually, which I am running on the Mac with BootCamp.

If you do why not stick to Foobar?

Tagging classical is a problem.
The only tool I found doing is decently is MusiChi
You get your composers spelled right and this applies to a lot of compositions as well.
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Players/MusiCHI.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back