JPop stars and IEM (56k Warning)
Nov 14, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #17 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT
Those are the Sony NC10 goofy looking. I have a pair and make me look like I am wearing earings.

Wow. I always wondering what kinda IEM she is using as well.

Nov 14, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #18 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by net_dos
Excuse my ignorance but why do singers wear earphone when they are on live?

Why do they need to near their "own song"? Is it because it is too loud and they need earphone to keep them "on track"?
confused.gif
Enlighten me please.

When you're at a concert, you won't be able to hear yourself at all especially if you're on stage. I'm sure the isolation also provides a little protection from the massive amount of sound pounding your ears from nearby speakers.

Nov 14, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #19 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
I was just noticing that the memory wire had come out from behind her ear. When they aired the Usher (who uses Sensaphonics as well) concert on Showtime I noticed the same thing. Is this a common problem with Sensaphonics?

Iono, but this happens with Shures too. Gotta let the cord unwind itself and straighten out completely before putting the thing on. It probably wouldn't be a problem if she just tightened the Y connection behind her neck, but that's a little uncomfy/inconvenient sometimes.

Nov 14, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #20 of 140
The band doesn't hear what the audience is hearing, because the speakers are in front of the band pointing out at the audience. That's why the band has monitor speakers - those little ones at the front of the stage, pointing back at the band, that you can see if you're down in the front of the mosh pit.

I'm not a performer, but I'd imagine that setup is fine for just playing 'normally', playing your part and listening to the rest of the band. Given the crappy acoustics, dodgy mixing and love of bass demonstrated by many concert venues, though, I think performers use IEMs when they want to be able to hear some particular part of the music more clearly than would otherwise be the case. If you're playing a complex rhythm guitar bit which isn't mixed very highly on the soundboard, for e.g., and is consequently getting buried under the bass player and the drummer, IEMs probably help you hear what you're doing.

(of course, the audience probably can't hear you anyway, so you could just put the damn guitar down and have a beer. but hey, gotta keep up appearances!)

and the j-poppers are probably using 'em so they can lipsync right, as someone else said.
biggrin.gif

just my guess, anyway. If you actually play anything in a band, do correct me
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #21 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
They suppose to wrap the wire behind their ears and have the wire go to the back of their head, and then goes down. I guess they wear it too quickly, or they do not like the feeling of the wire wrap behind their ears.

I'm quite familiar with how they are supposed to be worn. It just that it seems like they often pop out when the person is moving around. I know this happens with the Shure E2 and was just wondering if it's a common problem with the Sensaphonics.

Nov 14, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #22 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Iono, but this happens with Shures too. Gotta let the cord unwind itself and straighten out completely before putting the thing on. It probably wouldn't be a problem if she just tightened the Y connection behind her neck, but that's a little uncomfy/inconvenient sometimes.

Which ones? I've never had this issue with the E5, but it does happen with the E2 or E4. I've also never had this issue with the Super.Fi 5 Pro or UE-10.

Nov 14, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #23 of 140
Quote:

Why do they need to near their "own song"? Is it because it is too loud and they need earphone to keep them "on track"?
confused.gif
Enlighten me please.

Most performing artists use some form of stage monitors. It allows them to hear how they sound so they can make adjustments accordingly. In the past, many people would use those wedge things that I'm sure we've all seen. The problem is, they get bumped around a lot and have to be played at obscene levels to be heard over the crowd. IEMs are a much better solution because they block much of the noise and allow the artist to decide what they want to hear. This can include restricting the sound to only certain parts of the whole and will even include some crowd noise if that's what the artist wants. It boils down to a lot more control without many of the downsides. Additionally, it allows the artist to select a much lower volume than they would otherwise be subjected to if they were using stage monitors. Since they are used in combination with wireless body packs, they allow for much greater freedom of movement which includes dance routines and other such things.

Nov 14, 2005 at 7:26 AM Post #24 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
I was just noticing that the memory wire had come out from behind her ear. When they aired the Usher (who uses Sensaphonics as well) concert on Showtime I noticed the same thing. Is this a common problem with Sensaphonics?

Yeah, well for Otsuka Ai, it's clear she didn't tighten the guide wire. But I've actually had two pairs of Sensaphonics - my first didn't have this problem at all, but my 2nd, oen of the memory wires doesn't want to stay in place, even when properly worn. I think I just need to apply some heat and reset the memory wire to be a bit tighter. Not a big deal, but it does need some adjustment.

Best regards,

-Jason

Nov 14, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #27 of 140
I have one picture about star with IEM though you maybe have seen it :

Mai Kuraki with e5c

Mai_E5C.jpg

Nov 14, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #28 of 140
Quote:

confused.gif
Enlighten me please.

there are a bunch of factors which go into this, many of which have already been mentioned. once a venue/stage gets to a certain size, it is imperative that performers have monitors on stage so they can hear themselves. the front of house PA is pointing towards the crowd, and is generally in front of the performers, so they are basically useless to the performer.

and then there is the question whether to use wedge monitors (the ones on the floor angled up towards the performer) or IEMs. and it basically comes down to preferance. there is no right or wrong, but rather what suits the performer best. there are certain "advantages" of IEMs over wedges IMHO:

1. each performer only has the mix s/he wants. for ex. there is no bleed from the bassist's wedge, who would want waay more drums in his wedge than you do.

2. the performer can move around and still have the exact mix s/he wants to hear. one problem performers who use wedges have is moving around. once you move out of the "sweet spot" of you wedge, you'll begin to lose the mix that you want. and if you decide to do some double-guitar dueling action with the other guitarist, you might not want to listen to his mix. also, if you move to one extreme of the stage, you may lose all wedge sound as it gets drowned out by the FOH PA. many stages have side-fills to try and fix this, which are basically speakers with some sort of general mix coming thru them.

these 2 problems are solved by using IEMs..but as i said, it all depends on who's playing and how they like to play live..

Nov 14, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #29 of 140
You've missed one major advantage of IEM's, the same that we take advantage of: With wedge monitors on a large stage, you get hearing damage. Many =< late 80's stars who toured a lot have severe hearing damage.

Nov 14, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #30 of 140
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
(starts wondering if jjcha lip-syncs to the jpop too
tongue.gif
)

lol, it's embarassing enough I listen to this stuff... (and scour concert DVDs for headphone shots!) to actually sing/lipsynch to it... I think that's something for the cosplayers
icon10.gif

Oh, spotted a shot of Hitomi and her green UE-10 Pro! Man, I don't even like avex!

A_NATION05-6.jpg

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back