JPlay driver not showing in JRiver 20.0.44
Dec 2, 2014 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

lmf22

1000+ Head-Fier
Has anyone noticed that JPlay is not available as an option in the latest version of JRiver (v 20.0.44)? 
When I go into Audio Device, and click the drop down menu, "JPlay Driver [ASIO]" does not show up.
I reverted back to version 20.0.41 and "JPlay Driver [ASIO]" shows up again. 

(I posted this at the JPlay forum, but since this site has more traffice, I figured I should post it here as well.)

Feb 23, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 45
Very disappointing, running without Jplay is a serious handicap for most DACs that can run Kernel Streaming. Best 100 EUR ever spent. 

Feb 26, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 45
Bullschiit, JPLAY is a hoax.

For someone that runs Windows 7, I really doubt your capability in terms of computer audio and I would really not want to debate Jplay with you at this point. Also, by looking at how you communicate it is clear that you are very unlikely to accept other opinions on the matter which is also fine by me. 

I would not like to comment on the measurements as I am not an engineer but I hear the improvements even with the on-board soundcard of the laptop, I don't know how the guy with the TEAC UD-501 (although it is a really bad DAC, still a DAC you have to pay money for) cannot. 

Last, if you cannot hear it then it's not worth it.  But I had the X-sabre and it sounded better with Jplay also.

You should try Windows 2012 Server in Core mode also, unless some measurebator conviced you via a post that it's also useless :) 

Feb 26, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #8 of 45
In my experience, W7 was the worst sounding OS. Windows 8 was better. Windows Server 2012 was even better. Going into Core Mode was a big difference even from "stock" Windows 2012 server (on this I think know why, because it has very few services and the OS is very light - 3 or 4 GBs in total).

I also have a good/great USB cable which might/might not overemphasize the differences (many people comment on USB cables and cables in general, typically without listening or trying).

What I would recommend to anyone who is trying to improve the sound to try simple tweaks like these before spending a lot of money on amplifiers, speakers and DAC's. Although technically speaking many people believe all dacs and amps and speakers sound the same (that would be a very cost effective solutions, a one-box product called iMeasure or similarly). 

Good luck !

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #10 of 45
  I don’t think JPlay is the issue
It is simply one of those many products claiming to be of audiophile quality but cannot substantiate this claim with any measurement.
The issue is that JRiver is actively censoring its users.
I do think that is bad business ethics.

It is not just bad business ethics, its bad business. There are many loyal Jriver users who have been completely alienated by Jim's tactics here. I use Jplay as my driver and to set up the streaming network for my 2 pc streamer. In this setup there is no doubt of Jplay's benefit, even if only from an architectural standpoint. I believe that for sound quality it is also very beneficial in a streamer. My Jriver/Jplay/Audiophile Optimizer/Windows Server 2012 setup is awesome with complete harmony within the setup. Now I have to use plug-in scripts or disable updates to use Jriver with Jplay.

I'll continue to use Jriver for now. I will not buy in to JRMC 21unless Jim changes his course. Jplay was never a competitor for Jriver. It is a complimentary system that works within Jriver.

There was a similar thread over on Computer Audiophile, but it was removed by the moderator because Jriver is a sponsor. Reminds me of North Korea! I'm very disappointed and I'm looking at switching to HQ Player, but really don't want to. :/

Mar 1, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #11 of 45
I've used JPlay for many months. Finally (after purchasing it) I realized that the huge 3D stage, instrument separation and smoothness are... hoax. Using JRiver with just ASIO gave me more focus and dynamics. With Jplay and especially with their player Jplay mini, the instruments and vouces are much bigger, fuzzy and the sound has less impact.
Now I use Fidelizer to optimize Windows 7 and 8.1 and I'm extremely pleased. It improves instrument separation without affecting the focus, tightens bass and improves the depth of the soundstage. And the best is, it's FREE and it does not change the system permanently. :)

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #12 of 45
Jplay offers a trial version that has all the features of its full version, except it will play inserted gaps of silence. You do not have to buy it until you try it and like it. You can decide for yourself if it offers you any benefits BEFORE you buy. Also, it does not change your OS, it works off its driver. When you uninstall Jplay, it's gone.
Hoax..........interesting choice of words........where have I heard that word before...........oh yeah :/

Mar 1, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #14 of 45
Whats wrong with W7? WASAPI not bitperfect enough, or there some magical lower latency on W2012?

Some time ago I gave JPLAY the benefit of the doubt. No difference. Not even a difference for the worse. It was a mess to uninstall though.

As for "measurebator"... no comment.

Peace!

Now it is so easy to see that comments are BS... There is nothing to make it hard to uninstall.  One driver and a few reg lines.

Sad that JRiver is so jealous. Keep up the good work.

Mar 1, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #15 of 45
  I've used JPlay for many months. Finally (after purchasing it) I realized that the huge 3D stage, instrument separation and smoothness are... hoax. Using JRiver with just ASIO gave me more focus and dynamics. With Jplay and especially with their player Jplay mini, the instruments and vouces are much bigger, fuzzy and the sound has less impact.
Now I use Fidelizer to optimize Windows 7 and 8.1 and I'm extremely pleased. It improves instrument separation without affecting the focus, tightens bass and improves the depth of the soundstage. And the best is, it's FREE and it does not change the system permanently. :)

If you have are those issues there is probably something wrong with your system. JRiver is a very nice, very full featured mid-fi program. Fine for many people but not all. Like the difference between beer and champagne.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back