Joystick-Fi
Feb 11, 2010 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

TheAudioDude

500+ Head-Fier
Earlier this week I purchased this bad boy:

mvc0902.jpg

I'm hoping to get back into Street Fighter 4, among other stuff like MAME. Does anyone here have similar joysticks and/or custom ones?

I never played on a Japanese stick, and haven't had a chance to play this one yet due to a hand injury.

I'm planning on swapping the square-gate out for an octagon, and maybe putting a bat-top on it. I may even completely swap out the Sanwa joystick for a Seimitsu, since the Seimitsu is a bit tighter.

I'm not sure how much I like the feel of the buttons yet... I read that putting in Happ buttons aren't too big of a deal. I've been doing a lot of reading on Shoryuken.com, but I'm curious if anyone here has any tips or anything to share.
popcorn.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 23
for consules, use what you wish, for PC, CH flight stick pro, its THE joystick, i retired mine 12 years in to service and only becuase my PC no longer had a joystick port to plug it in to,

im still considering ordering a usb one, but i dont play as many flight games anymore,

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #3 of 23
Not a joystick, but I did buy a G27 Logitech racing wheel for my PS3. It's dead sexy.

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for consules, use what you wish, for PC, CH flight stick pro, its THE joystick, i retired mine 12 years in to service and only becuase my PC no longer had a joystick port to plug it in to,

im still considering ordering a usb one, but i dont play as many flight games anymore,

That looks like it'd be pretty fun for fighter-pilot games, but I'm more into fighters/beat-em-ups/top-down shooters with MAME. I'll bet you can get a joystick port to USB adapter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not a joystick, but I did buy a G27 Logitech racing wheel for my PS3. It's dead sexy.

Yeah, I bought a Logitech DriveFX for my 360 a while ago and it has a really nice feel to it. The wheel is semi-tight and the pedals have a nice firm feel. Sadly it's gathering a bit of dust; I need to get back into racing games
redface.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif

so jealous.

Feb 11, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkSpoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so jealous.

LOL

Now I just have to decide whether I splurge and get a Playseat with gearshift and sliding seat accessories...or the Wheelstand Pro to go with it.
C'mon Grand Turismo 5 already...Prologue will have to do for now.

Feb 11, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 23
Nice joystick controller...I was thinking aobut getting one of those for my PS3...not so much for figthing games but for sports games.

Feb 11, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #8 of 23
Your joystick may not be as ideal for MAME as it is for SF4.

I put together a joystick for MAME last year: Happ buttons and a Sanwa joystick in a plywood enclosure. It has been great for MAME and NES emulators.

This month I got Street Fighter 4 and modified my joystick so that I have six buttons (I only had two previously). The Sanwa joystick can be set for 4-way or 8-way use; I had been using it in 4-way mode for MAME (which makes a big difference) but SF4 requires 8-way.

In order to switch back and forth between SF4 and MAME, I now have to adjust the joystick between 4-way and 8-way mode. It is a real PITA because I have to adjust it from the bottom.

If I were to do it again, I would buy the Mag-Stick Plus joystick, which is 4-way/8-way switchable from the top of the panel.

That might not work for you as a replacement joystick because the MadCatz is set up to mount a Sanwa.

Personally I wouldn't try to play 4-way games on a joystick that is set up for 8-way; it is a big disadvantage in gameplay.

Feb 11, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by gspence2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your joystick may not be as ideal for MAME as it is for SF4.

I put together a joystick for MAME last year: Happ buttons and a Sanwa joystick in a plywood enclosure. It has been great for MAME and NES emulators.

This month I got Street Fighter 4 and modified my joystick so that I have six buttons (I only had two previously). The Sanwa joystick can be set for 4-way or 8-way use; I had been using it in 4-way mode for MAME (which makes a big difference) but SF4 requires 8-way.

In order to switch back and forth between SF4 and MAME, I now have to adjust the joystick between 4-way and 8-way mode. It is a real PITA because I have to adjust it from the bottom.

If I were to do it again, I would buy the Mag-Stick Plus joystick, which is 4-way/8-way switchable from the top of the panel.

That might not work for you as a replacement joystick because the MadCatz is set up to mount a Sanwa.

Personally I wouldn't try to play 4-way games on a joystick that is set up for 8-way; it is a big disadvantage in gameplay.

That's actually a very good point. Maybe I can modify the MadCatz so it fits a Mag-Stick Plus, but I'll bet it'll be hard. Hmmm...

Luckily I have at least 2 more weeks to see what I can do since my finger is still in a splint.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #10 of 23
Hey guys, Sorry might be wrong place to post, but is it possible to get a wireless Xbox 360 Controller for the computer/?

EDIT: LOL just googled....... So its not possible but is there any alternative? and lets say i did just get an normal 360 controller, can i use it as a mouse?

Feb 14, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by JakmanFirby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, Sorry might be wrong place to post, but is it possible to get a wireless Xbox 360 Controller for the computer/?

EDIT: LOL just googled....... So its not possible but is there any alternative? and lets say i did just get an normal 360 controller, can i use it as a mouse?

are you sure you googled? first two results were:
Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows
How to connect your Xbox 360 Controller for Windows to your computer

Feb 15, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #13 of 23
Yeah, it definitely looks like a stick that could take a beating. Poor choice of words?
redface.gif
Price was one thing but my #2 was comfort. I wanted a stick that would be comfortable in my lap and could also be used on a table.

I asked about different sticks on shoryuken.com and I think I've decided on getting a Seimitsu LS-32 and modding it to become an 'LS-36':

LS-32 modification tutorial, "Project LS-36"

It's either that or an LS-56 w/ octo or circular gate. Both options should be great for MAME (shmups and whatnot), and fighting games, and also feel more like an American-style stick.

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #14 of 23
I still have CH fighter stick, pro throttle and pedals. Unfortunately I don't play flight sims anymore.

Feb 15, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #15 of 23
AudioDude,

That is pretty cool indeed. I actually didn't know they made those. I was thinking along the lines of PC Joysticks when I jumped in here. Is that what it is for? I'm a little confused. Reminds me of the old tabletop joysticks at the quarter arcades when I was a kid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back