Joy! postman stopped by with my W5000! .....large pics
Mar 9, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #46 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is nice to see the momentum swinging back to W5000s. I have enjoyed my Prolines but there is something special about my W5000s.

I am sure audiocubes are trying to figure out what is going on cause that is not a predicted market trend xD (I counted 4 new w5000s appearing on this forum in one month?)

Mar 9, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #47 of 54
It is just that people can always find something as a shorting coming for everything. I am sure that the old short comings previously discuss will reappear soon enough. Too detailed, too analytical, thin, lack of bass, etc. not that I think any of these actually apply. It is always a good thing to use the YMNV (your mileage may vary) thing in any opinion set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to hear your input concerning this comment you made. Every upgrade I have made after buying W5000 has just pushed em further and further. I can't really find anything I do not like about the sound no matter how hard I try.

Mar 9, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #48 of 54
Quote:

It is just that people can always find something as a shorting coming for everything. I am sure that the old short comings previously discuss will reappear soon enough. Too detailed, too analytical, thin, lack of bass, etc. not that I think any of these actually apply.

Yeah I hear you. I don't think any of those apply either but these phones are very picky with other audio components in the chain. I have not really found more than one tube configuration where these really shine. But then again one is enough
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #49 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sure audiocubes are trying to figure out what is going on cause that is not a predicted market trend xD (I counted 4 new w5000s appearing on this forum in one month?)

Make that 5. I just hope I will get a good fit on my not so big head.

Mar 10, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #52 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charob /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Bending the headbands at the middle will increase clamping force. Use constant pressure and be careful.

Quote:

It is just that people can always find something as a shorting coming for everything.

Comparing the W5000 to other headphones, I find plenty of shortcomings. Examples include:

Vs. SA5000 the W5000 lacks some crispness and details around notes, and also lacks speed.

Vs. RS-1 the W5000 lacks energy and doesn't render acoustic or electric guitars as well. There's less emotional involvement with some fast-paced music.

Vs. L3000 the W5000 lacks bass impact, quantity and overall quality. The music is less vividly realistic, especially with rock music. There's less sense of fullness and body behind each notes.

Vs. HD650 the W5000 lacks smoothness and liquidity. It also doesn't have the HD650's pleasant-sounding warmth, body and solid mid-bass.

Vs. K701 the W5000 lacks soundstage width. It doesn't render many classical pieces as well as the K701, and can sometimes seem too colored compared to the K701's more "neutral" sound. It also lacks the K701's expansiveness and can seem closed-in in comparison.

Vs. AD2000 the W5000 lacks air and the realistic sense of sound passing through air. The AD2000 does better with some female vocals and pop music. Similarly to the K701, the AD2000 can make the W5000 seem a bit closed-in..

Despite all these perceived shortcomings compared to these other headphones, I listen to the W5000 most often. For every weakness vs. another headphone, it also has strengths.

Mar 10, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #53 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charob /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually make that 6, ordered mine yesterday too!

Just need to find an amp and DAC to pair it up with and keeping it affordable is the most troubling thing.

Btw has anyone used a AT-HA25 amp/DAC with other AT headphones? Tt is really attractive from a price point of view and there is still time to add it to my purchase (I think) if I do get some good feedback.

Mar 10, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #54 of 54
I'm a bit of a detail freak. I like to hear each note's microdetails, texture and definition. I want to hear each pluck of a guitar string, hear its initial attack as the string begins to vibrate and create sound, and the shimmer of decay as it fades away. The note should sound 3D-like and seemingly float in a cushion of air.

I like music with many layers, simultaneous and overlapping sounds, and multiple sound effects with a lot of "ear candy." Examples include chill out and downtempo electronica such as the Cafe del Mar series and the albums "Quiet Letters" and "Afterlife" by Bliss.

I also like precise imaging and excellent notes separation, which enhances the sense of highly detailed sound. Binaural recordings such as the Stax and Ultrasone demo CDs, some Chesky, FIM and Stockfisch Records discs are examples of the type of sound quality I like.

The W5000 has excellent details. It has very good sense of air, precise imaging and a decent-sized soundstage. It is balanced, without being too cold and analytical or too warm and sluggish. It leans slightly more towards cold and thin, which enhances the details and imaging that I like so much. If it had more warmth and body, I think it might lose some of the microdetails and pinpoint imaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back