JOY DIVISION: Unknown Pleasures versus Closer
Aug 30, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will say that, for me, both those records have always been about side 2, which may or may not mean anything to someone who first heard them on CD or mp3. My first Unknown Pleasures was on cassette.
normal_smile .gif

totally agree...I have them both on vinyl only and side 2 is played ragged on both albums. I tend to listen to Closer quite a bit more but can't knock either one.

Aug 30, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #19 of 27
UP doesn't really have sides 1 and 2.Only "Outside" and "Inside".I had the original UK LP release many years ago and for years i used to start listening from the "Inside" side with "She's Lost Control"
And i still prefer this order as i'm used to it since i was a teenager.

Aug 30, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by eduj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UP doesn't really have sides 1 and 2.Only "Outside" and "Inside".I had the original UK LP release many years ago and for years i used to start listening from the "Inside" side with "She's Lost Control"
And i still prefer this order as i'm used to it since i was a teenager.

Funny, I can't remember the cassette being labeled that way, but it's possible.
happy_face1.gif

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #21 of 27
Only the first edition i.e. the Factory vinyl had the sides labeled "Outside" and "Inside" AFAIK .The cassette came out more that 5 years later in 1984.I bought the original vinyl release (the one with the textured sleeve) from London in 1983.
The original tracklisting is this:

Outside

1. "Disorder"
2. "Day of the Lords"
3. "Candidate"
4. "Insight"
5. "New Dawn Fades"

Inside

1. "She's Lost Control"
2. "Shadowplay"
3. "Wilderness"
4. "Interzone"
5. "I Remember Nothing"

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #23 of 27
I wish I could hear Joy Division for the first time again
o2smile.gif
!I've been listening to these 2 albums for 25 years now on any format you can imagine:Original vinyl,cassette,Factory CD,London CD,Heart & Soul boxset,DAT,DCC,MP3,AAC,ALAC,MiniDisc you name it. I've probably listened to these 2 albums 1000 times !If you are new to JD don't forget to check Still and Substance. Essential stuff.

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by eduj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only the first edition i.e. the Factory vinyl had the sides labeled "Outside" and "Inside" AFAIK .The cassette came out more that 5 years later in 1984.I bought the original vinyl release (the one with the textured sleeve) from London in 1983.

Interesting…I hadn't thought about it, but that cassette issue occurred a year after New Order's Power, Corruption and Lies, which might mean that I actually heard New Order first.

Sep 2, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #26 of 27
Hmm... very hard to pick as they're both great albums. That said, Unknown Pleasures is more rock and raw, and Closer is more polished. I picked Closer.

With the posthumous success of "Love Will Tear Us Apart" and the brilliance of "Ceremony" and "In A Lonely Place," Can you imagine how great their third album could've been?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back