Joy Division: Unknown Pleasures or Closer?
Feb 2, 2008 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

goldenratiophi

Headphoneus Supremus
I've pondered this question forever and can't come to a definite conclusion. It seems that 65% of the time I find Unknown Pleasures easier to listen to than Closer, but sometimes I find Closer infinitely more beautiful than Unknown Pleasures.

That's why I'm making you decide to see what all of Head-Fi thinks
tongue.gif

Feb 2, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 14
very very hard to pick, but if i really had to choose one over the other, i'd pick Unknown Pleasures. i'll agree Unknown Pleasures is the more accessible of the two (probably because it has a more "rock" sound to it) but i love it's sparse atmosphere and claustrophobia feel. i love the little sound bites and samples within the songs (closing of elevator door, breaking glass, etc.) and angst. it has my fave JD song as well, "Day of the Lords."

Closer sounds more lush with a polished production sheen, as well as reaching into the realms of electronic experimentation. there's in impressive run of songs in the middle of the album, from "Colony" through "Twenty Four Hours." to me "Heart and Soul" is easily the best song on the album. what i find differing in themes between both albums is where Unknown Pleasures was very angsty, Closer sounds utterly defeated. oh, and the album is pronounced with a "hard-s" as in "door closer," not a "soft-s" as in "come closer." just a little Joy Division tidbit.
cool.gif

in actual reality though, i listen to Still the most!
biggrin.gif

it's funny, i watched Control again last night.

Feb 2, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 14
I put on Unknown Pleasures much more—can't get enough of the drum sound—but whenever I listen to Closer its power always comes as a pleasant surprise.

Feb 3, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh, and the album is pronounced with a "hard-s" as in "door closer," not a "soft-s" as in "come closer." just a little Joy Division tidbit.
cool.gif

I made a topic about that a long time ago and got both answers. I've always pronounced it the first way, though.

Feb 3, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Closer sounds more lush with a polished production sheen,.

That's why I'll go with "Unknown Pleasures". I always thought Closer's snares were just a smidge too shiny compared to "U.P". It's no easy decision because the former contains my fave JD album song in "Colony." However, UP sounds more consistent and honest to me.

Feb 3, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 14
How about if I say back when original vinyl records were released side 2 of Closer was best side of any JD album........supremely melancholic with dark forboding themes. Song "the eternal" sounds like a funeral dirge or death march, a cry for help, vocals are delivered in direct hushed tones as if a personal confession.

Plus on side 2 Closer you get the feeling that these are very personal current feelings from the singers own life, where Unknown Pleasures is dark in a more general universal way, as Bong says closer to a rock sound.........Closer captures more the true depressive essence of JD

Feb 3, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #9 of 14
For me it is definitely Closer. I had it originally on LP (that makes me feel old)
and side two of the album is simply perfect.

From an influencing perspective, it's probably a toss up.

Unknown pleasures for the overall sound which has been copied by a bazillion bands.

Closer for the lyrics which i think are more copied.

Both truly great albums.

Those two albums, the single for love will tear us apart and New Orders Power Corruption and Lies comprise the essential output from both bands

Feb 3, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #10 of 14
They have just released 12" replicas of the original release vinyl lps remastered from the original tapes £15 for Unknown Pleasures and £19 for closer - bought both because I couldn't resist the beautiful artwork and a chance to listen to Unknown pleasures as it was intended to be heard. problem is I don't want to remove the shrink wrap! between the two, for me Unknown Pleasures.

Feb 4, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #12 of 14
how can you even decide? we were not blessed with enough music by this band.

I still have most of me JD vinyl from the mid 80's. Unkown Pleasures, Closer and Still. I gave away to friends my more rare JD vinyl I had on 45, 10" and 12" me favorite of these was the 10" Short Circuit: Live at the Electric Circus but it was not for just the JD recordings alone.

Feb 16, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ueyteuor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'll say unknown pleasures because of interzone, disorder, and she's lost control

x2

plus the album art on unknown pleasures is epic

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #14 of 14
Both are inferior to Les Baines *******.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back