Journey w/ Noise Cancellation
Jan 12, 2010 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

r3cc0s

500+ Head-Fier
My Journey w/ Noise Cancelling :p

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I am in IT, and my job recently changed from performing operational work, to more project work... I'm stuck in the datacenter, rather than my desk at home, racking, configuring and cabling new switches/routers etc..

As such my requirements changed, as I no longer leasurely sit around w/ my AKG 701s listening to Candyrat records all day while DRAC'd/RDP'd/SSH'd into a server or device anymore. (mostly in my tidy whities and bunny slippers no less)

As most in my industry knows, Datacenters are LOUD... AC units, UPSs, Fans, Different air induction units, etc... I don't know what the DB is in the Cage I'm in, but its so loud that I can't even use my ancient MX500s at all.. (I have tried my MDR-V6s and though it was alright, I just didn't find it convenient at all, lugging my total airhead, ipod, cables and circumaural phones up and under raise'd floor racks.

So here goes, w/ trying to find a solution.

Alrighty... so Noise Cancellation as we know is pretty much a compromise with most if not all, ranging from Audio Technicas, BLOSE, Panasonic to the big Sony NC500s to their crappy NC7C etc.. (about like a billion models in between w/ Sony's lineup)

So far, the best "Active" noise surpression I've heard and is "by far" the best are the Bose QC15s, and... they "surprisingly" don't actuality sound bad to boot

I've demo'd the Audio Technica ANC7, ANC3 (ear buds), Sony NC60, NC33 (new ear buds), and the Blose QC15... and in all departments the QC15 seems to be the winner for its performance of noise cancelling, sonic and tonal characteristics, and comfort.

Sound wise both the ANC7 and the BOSE were very good performers for NC supra-aural/circumaural phones... great tonal characteristics, tight bass and both had well extended yet smooth highs.

Though the ANC7 were $120 less, they still just couldn't compare with the noise smothering ability of the QC15.

I was going to pull the plug on the $350 bastards, till I realized that well... do I really need them? I mean I got AKG701's w/ a nice headamp at home in my office on the days I work from home... (I did do an a/b comparison, and well... there just isn't between the 701s and the QC15s... but different application right?) Why do I need another full sized can, away from home, especially where it could mess up my gorgous hair lol (sarcasm) Along w/ that, though I don't need to carry around an amp, its still cumbersome to wear full sizers when having to maneover around equipment.

Thats when I ran across the Sony MDR-NC33s... a friend at work owns the late model Sony NC22 earbuds, and I gave them a shot... With the NC off, they were very decent earbuds... IMO they sounded more impressive than my MX500 (yes dated) and were on par or not far off from some other quality EIMs/Earbuds such as the CX300/500/Shure 110.
However w/ the Noise Cancelling on... there was a ridiculious amount of ambient hiss & it really didn't do much to block out anything more than they did passively.

However, as the new & improved NC33's were on sale for $100 at BestBuy, and have a good return policy... I said, what the heck.
Well first off, they fit basically the same.. they are EIMs' using silicone tips (3 sizes)
They do passively isolate a bit, but not to the level of Shures or Etys (but I "HATE" deep seated EIMs)
listened to them w/ the circuitry off first... yup, sound about the same... in fact sounds just like another co-worker's EX90s but w/o any ports so there is no leakage. Bass, not bad... reasonably deep, good detail... but can be sibilent.. but not as much texture in the midrange as "I'd" like... but there is just no great midrange in any Noise Cancelling phones at all.

Turned on the NC33's noise active circuit, and to my surprise... No HISS! Also immediately impressive was its ability to supress ambient noises, specifically low ones, such as the air con @ the data center.
However, with pretty decent sound and capabilities (about as good as the ANC7s) they still couldn't compete w/ the BOSE, specifically A/B testing. But! these were $100, did sound good, weren't full sized circumaural cands, and drowed out the noise that was in fact bothering me

I thought sure, good compromise, and the battery life is 100hrs to boot... not bad, can uses these on the train/plane and gym... didn't think it could get better for that price... until I grabbed a set of comply T400 tips (the squishy open cell foamies) and put them on.
Well, probably still not quite as good as the bose, but there is probably a lowered 4db of surpression and it took away any sibilance to boot. They are now actuality reasonably articulate EIM earbuds with a good amount of both active and passive isloation...

I'm pretty happy so far... but hey Bestbuy again does have a good return policy if there are any other suggestions

(p.s. I hate deep seated in ear IEMs, I swear I couldn't hear our of my left ear for a week after I snagged my ETYs on a fence while avoiding someone on the street)

also, I was unable to demo' Sennheiser PCX450/350s nor the new NC300

Users who are viewing this thread

Back