journey to shure e5c
Jun 21, 2006 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

southsea

New Head-Fier
hello

i dont leave many posts here, but i read headfi nearly every day. i suppose the reason why i dont leave many threads or posts is because i have managed to find answers to most of my questions through searching and the threads that come up.

i'd just like to thank everyone here for their indirect, but most fruitful help, and i'd like to just share my brief journey so far.

so, because of Headfi i have had the following:

started with sony ex71,
then i got Shure e2c,
then Grado sr80,
then shure e2cs broke and i got shure e4g,

i have just ordered shure e5c, and i am waiting for them to arrive. i am very excited.

once again, thank you headfiers
580smile.gif

Jun 21, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by southsea
hello

started with sony ex71,
then i got Shure e2c,
then Grado sr80,
then shure e2cs broke and i got shure e4g,

i have just ordered shure e5c, and i am waiting for them to arrive. i am very excited.

580smile.gif

Another satisfied customer. Good picks. I'm sort of on the same trajectory, thinking imod, re-import to Apple lossless, E500's, Supermacro or portaphile type amp, um, some really nice audiolineout.com cables, uh, my wish list doesn't get any shorter, tho.

Just in case you didn't know, all IEM mfr's are good about standing behind their product, you could probably get E2c's replaced.

Jun 21, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 10
I may as well share my story too. Been here for a short while and have spent over $800.00 in a week
eek.gif
already. Got myself Shure E5Cs and well not headphones but it was through these forums where I discovered my source, which is Cowon A2 20 gig. Getting the PMP by Friday and hopefully the headphones by friday as well or by next week for sure depending on shipping.

Jun 22, 2006 at 10:44 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigDee
Are you satisfied with your E4g?

i thought the E4g were very good and was more than happy with the sound, but i didnt have confidence that the cable between the earpieces and splitter thing would last very long. that bit of the cable is very thin and i could just see myself breaking them if they snagged on something. one of the selling points about the e5c for me is the big thick memory cable bit.

plus i had been sent two pairs of faulty E4g in a row.

Jun 22, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #6 of 10
I pretty much had the same journey. Started with several EX71s, got sick of them breaking every 6 months, then discovered this forum and "real" IEMs when I looked for something better sounding and more solid.

Didn't bother with e2-e4, and went straight for the E5C. Mostly for the bass, and I kinda liked the "monitor for the deaf" look, and the effect it has on people ("oh the poor deaf guy, such a shame at this age..."
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

Anyway, I still like and use the E5c these days. But now that I have a better home equipment, I find them a bit harsh sometimes in comparison. I hope the E500 will correct most of this "problem".

Jun 24, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

580smile.gif

When I first got my ipod and listened to some edgar meyer albums on it I was horrified at the absence of bass.

I tried all of the shure IEMs that were available, starting with the cheapest, being disapointed and getting the next one up. Only the e5's had a bass response I could live with for those low growling acoustic bass notes. Without the E5 IEMs I simply could not listen to Edgar Meyer on my iPod.

Since I'm exclusively an iPod listener cans are not really an option but oh how I would love to have even richer bass! A while back the cable for my E5's broke and I splinted it and taped it. Now (several months later) the right earhpone has gone muddy. I was planning on getting a new pair of E5 IEMs but perhaps I should hold off and get E500s.

The bass response of the E5 IEMs is acceptable but has lots of room for improvement so I'm hoping the E500s are noticeably better. They did put 2 bass drivers in them so Shure must know that the E5 IEMs bass response is merely adequate.

Aug 1, 2006 at 11:21 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

i thought the E4g were very good and was more than happy with the sound, but i didnt have confidence that the cable between the earpieces and splitter thing would last very long. that bit of the cable is very thin and i could just see myself breaking them if they snagged on something. one of the selling points about the e5c for me is the big thick memory cable bit.

plus i had been sent two pairs of faulty E4g in a row.

hee hee, now i hate this memory wire and have been looking at the e500 becuase it doesnt have it.

i was a little drunk the other night and decided to cut off the memory flex wire part of the cord. i used a pair of nail clippers, and it was difficult and fidly, but it has all come off now. i left about 15 mms of the flex sleeve part from the earphone.

it is now much more comfortable and forgiving to movement further down the cable, and there is less microphonics.

anyone thinkning of removing the memory wire part, i can't reccomend it enough. its put my e500 desire at bay.

Aug 1, 2006 at 11:58 AM Post #9 of 10
Just sold my E5, while I like them very much, two things that have bothered me recently. The massive splitter, it's too big and heavy therefore put strains on my ears, the earphones are not particular comfortable to wear for long hours.
I believe these two issues have been addressed in the new E500.
Don't get me wrong, E5 is great I used it for about 1 year but I guess it's time for me to move on
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back