Jotunheim Competitors? Looking for a new DAC/Amp combo
Oct 20, 2016 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

2enty3

100+ Head-Fier
From what I read, the Jotunheim is definitely a step-up from the Magni+modi combo, But I don't really know any other DAC/Amp combos in the lower price range. TBH the jotunheim is at my price limit, so I'm wondering if there are combos out there for less and do equally well.

Oct 20, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 6
What headphones?

Oct 20, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #3 of 6
  From what I read, the Jotunheim is definitely a step-up from the Magni+modi combo, But I don't really know any other DAC/Amp combos in the lower price range. TBH the jotunheim is at my price limit, so I'm wondering if there are combos out there for less and do equally well.

The Jotunheim undercuts balanced drive AudioGD units and comes with a nicer case, but you give up SPDIF. On the flipside, depending on where you are, it'll be cheaper sending the Jotunheim back to California than an NFB-29 back to China. Depends on what you need more really.

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 6
From what folk are saying, the Jotunheim shoots above its price point, so you will never find a cheaper setup that does AS WELL.

Of course, I say go all out and by the NFB-28 by Audio-GD. It's spectacular. :cool:

Oct 23, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 6

The Jotunheim undercuts balanced drive AudioGD units and comes with a nicer case, but you give up SPDIF. On the flipside, depending on where you are, it'll be cheaper sending the Jotunheim back to California than an NFB-29 back to China. Depends on what you need more really.

From what folk are saying, the Jotunheim shoots above its price point, so you will never find a cheaper setup that does AS WELL.

Of course, I say go all out and by the NFB-28 by Audio-GD. It's spectacular.
cool.gif

Yea I can stand behind the NFB28 as well it's amazing! Though Audio GDs $350 offering doesn't even compare to the power output of the Jotunheim, so I'd say for US based consumers Jotunheim is going to be the way to go [it's even balanced] though up near the $700 dollar range I'd say go for Audio GD

I've had mine for around 3 years now, an It's... well just like new. Super clean, runs the same as it always has! Things built amazingly 

Dec 5, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 6
Jotunheim in position while I wait for my balanced cable to arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back