Jotunheim 2 DAC dilemma
Jul 7, 2022 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Clausen

New Head-Fier
First of all I am an audiophile, but never really a big head phone guy. A couple years ago I bought the HD 650's and a the Monoprice spark amp. I was trying to use it with a Denon receiver long story short I couldn't get it to work right, and I couldn't tell a difference between the Spark and the Denon headphone amplifier, so I ended up sending the Spark back, and then decided I didn't want to spend $500 on headphones so i sent those back also.
Instead I bought some Audio-technica ATH- R70x and I ended up being really happy with those, and the more I used them the more I liked them.

I have been using them for my secondary system in my bedroom for mainly TV listening, by I have an OPPO Bluray player and a bunch of concert DVD's and Blurays, and I can stream Tidal form the TV in here also. Unfortunately I let my daughter use them a few times, and the cheap plastic mounts from the headphone to the headband broke, twice now. It wasn't a big deal I was able to get parts from Audio-technica and fixed them both times. The problem is I don't want to keep doing that, plus the shipping went up from $10 to $15.

I didn't know about the Massdrop HD 6XX before, and decided to try those and maybe I would feel different about them now that I have been using headphones more and for a while now. First of all, wow. These really are awesome, and I am glad I gave them a second chance.

So then I decided to do some research about what the Denon is using as the headphone amp. It doesn't sound bad and has more than enough volume. Turns out it uses the amp with something like a 400 ohm resistor.

I have a Proceed amp in my mane system which was made by Mark Levinson, the "Rolls Royce" of amplifiers, as some call it, and before that I was using a really nice Parasound amp, so I know the differance a good amp makes. Out it this way, I won't be looking for another amp ever, as long as this Proceed amp works. It's a true monoblock 3 channel amp with separate power sources for all 3 channels. The thing weighs 100lbs!

Here's one. https://www.soundsgoodtomehouston.com/proceedhpa3.htm
So I decided to get a good amp this time and not an entry level amp. I was certain that I could use the DAC in the Denon, and use the Zone 2. So a couple days ago I got the Jotunheim 2 got everything hooked up, and ...NOTHING. Turns out the stupid Denon by-passes the internal DAC and you have to hookup "back up" analog cables. So I had to hook up the mini jack from the TV for a sound bar, which turns out is an audio out, and finally, it's working. But I'm now using the TV's DAC.

Yes, there is a question, a few actually.

It still sounds really good, but it's going to drive me crazy until I get a good quality DAC after making this kind of investment.

I tried emailing Schiit, and they did reply, but with literally only 2 sentences, the second sentence was 5 words 2 of which were "it is".

First of all I want to be able to switch between my Receiver/speakers and the headphones. I'm thinking I could do that with a Toslink switch.

So here's what I am considering, and the first question. The DAC card ES9028 for the Jotunheim but I would have to use this to make it work. https://www.amazon.com/Cubilux-SPDIF-Adapter/dp/B09QFYNB7Y?th=1

Or the Modi and Mobius. I like that the Mobius is a balanced DAC, but I wouldn't need that if I used the DAC card. I thought there was a multi-bit DAC card for the Jotunheim, but maybe it's out of stock.

Thoughts? What do you guys recommend, and does anyone know if that USB to Toslink adapter will work? I can always ask Schiit, but I don't know why it wouldn't

Thanks for any input!

Jul 9, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 11
Did I stump everyone with this question?

Well any way, the first two DAC's are off the table. The internal DAC, Tom from Schiit said he didn't think would work with that toslink adapter. I was not able to get Tidal to work won my Oppo until today, got it to work with Mconnect and use the Oppo DAC and send the signal via Zone 2 and RCA to the Schiit amp. I know that has a pretty good DAC, not as good as the 105 but I'll see how I like it.

I'm not too crazy about using the TV DAC but I'll just be using it for TV Streaming. I'll see how I like the OPPO DAC and then decide what if anything I'll be doing down the road. I'm not sure "upgrading" to the Modius will be worth it now. Maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and buy the Bifrost if I want to upgrade the DAC. I'll still open to any comments/suggestions.

Jul 10, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 11
I can't make out, even reading all of your posts, exactly what you are doing to get Tidal to your headphones. Maybe it's the spelling/grammar issues or your changes in terminology without explanation.

I apologize if that sounds critical, but it was to explain why I'm not addressing your issues specifically.

Bottom line, you are always better off with discrete components - standalone DAC, standalone headphone amplifier, and headphone. The quality is better, power supplies are always separate and specifically designed for purpose, and flexibility is the greatest. Things like add-on internal cards, even if people like Schiit market it as a great solution (then why do they sell separate DACs, too?), are usually compromises in functionality, connectivity, and lack optimized power supplies.

As for Tidal and a standalone DAC, a PC with a USB connection solves all of your issues and brings outstanding quality. Some will quibble that SPDIF is better, but that's usually available with many PC-DAC combinations anyway. I personally wouldn't quibble about the difference re: SPDIF vs USB, unless you've spent $thousands on that DAC-amp-headphone string (many of us have done that).

Jul 10, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 11
I can't make out, even reading all of your posts, exactly what you are doing to get Tidal to your headphones. Maybe it's the spelling/grammar issues or your changes in terminology without explanation.
Well it's not really that complicated if you read what I wrote, maybe I included too much information, but I'll go ahead and simplify it as best I can.

I have the Oppo connected with RCA's to the DVD input on my Denon, the TV connected with RCA's to the TV input to the Denon, and Zone 2 output to the Jotunheim RCA inputs, and the Oppo streams Tidal with the Andriod Mconnect app. Oh and a long cord to my headphones!

I'm using the headphones in my secondary system to watch TV, which consists of the TV, A Denon Home Theater Receiver, towers a center channel and Oppo Blueray player.

I do not always want to watch TV or listen to music with my speakers. I have been using the Denon built in headphone amplifier. But because the Denon headphone amplier simply uses the speaker amplifier with a 400ohm resistor, which is obviously not going to be the quality of a good dedicated headphone amplifier. Hence, I bought the Schiit Jotunheim 2. I was hoping to use the Denon DAC with the Zopne 2 outputs. With out stepping up to a DAC like the Bifrost, I would not be getting a better DAC than the one in the Denon.

In any case it turns out the Denon will not convert Digital to analog to the Zone 2 outputs. Since this is a secondary "Home Theater" system and not a Desktop system I'm trying to make everything work within those parameters.

I have an OPPO Bluray player, and while it has the Tidal app, apparently the Tidal licensing for the Oppo is no longer supported because Oppo stopped making audio equipment . Oppo is known for very high end DAC's in some of it's other models but the BD-103 is probably along the lines of the entry level to mid-level DAC's. Again I probably won't get a better DAC unless I step up to something like a Bifrost.

Yesterday after doing a lot of research I found out that their is a Andriod/Apple app that works with the Oppo and allows me to use Tidal that way. Therefore I am now able to stream through the Oppo DAC Tidal.
As for Tidal and a standalone DAC, a PC with a USB connection solves all of your issues and brings outstanding quality.
I don't listen to music on my PC. As I said in the first post....
I have been using them for my secondary system in my bedroom for mainly TV listening,

I think the bottom line is you can't figure out what I've done or how to do what I have done, and that's what really stumped you. Before any 'Desktop Systems" came out, guys like me were listening to music from Stereo systems and then Home theater multi channel systems and their were no headphone amps for Desktop systems until the last few years. So that meant if you wanted to use a headphone amp you had to hook it up to your pre-amp.

I had a stand alone amp for years that I figured out how to use without a pre-amp.

Basically what you are doing with your PC is using it to "switch" to whatever source you are using, and sending that digital signal to the external DAC, then Preamp/Amp and then the speaker cables/headphone cables.

Well Smarts TV's, this Oppo player etc and have PC processors now.
My B&K Ref 30 Preamp/Processor in my primary system uses a high end audiophile quality DAC to decode PCM signals and a DSP to process multi channel signals. It was $3000 new. So I know a little bit about what I'm talking about and doing!

Seems like it's all too complicated though I guess. That's OK, I figured it out anyway. I should have posted this in DIYaudio-dot-Com I suppose

Jul 10, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 11
<snip>

I think the bottom line is you can't figure out what I've done or how to do what I have done, and that's what really stumped you. Before any 'Desktop Systems" came out, guys like me were listening to music from Stereo systems and then Home theater multi channel systems and their were no headphone amps for Desktop systems until the last few years. So that meant if you wanted to use a headphone amp you had to hook it up to your pre-amp.

I had a stand alone amp for years that I figured out how to use without a pre-amp.

Basically what you are doing with your PC is using it to "switch" to whatever source you are using, and sending that digital signal to the external DAC, then Preamp/Amp and then the speaker cables/headphone cables.

Well Smarts TV's, this Oppo player etc and have PC processors now.
My B&K Ref 30 Preamp/Processor in my primary system uses a high end audiophile quality DAC to decode PCM signals and a DSP to process multi channel signals. It was $3000 new. So I know a little bit about what I'm talking about and doing!

Seems like it's all too complicated though I guess. That's OK, I figured it out anyway. I should have posted this in DIYaudio-dot-Com I suppose
You stepped into it with that crap.

I've been into stereo since 1970, have several turntables, receivers, amps, speakers, and plenty of smart TVs, along with PCs and laptops (that I've built), etc., etc., not to mention I've been building and selling amps and DACs for over 15 years, along with programming my own websites, etc., etc.

Yours is the kind of ignorant arrogance that is hard to help.

Jul 10, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #6 of 11
I guess it's good I don't need your help then. I'm sorry but saying
Maybe it's the spelling/grammar issues or your changes in terminology without explanation.
that's where the insults started. I don't really want to start anything, but that did piss me off...but I'll leave it at that!

Jul 10, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #7 of 11
You stepped into it with that crap.

I've been into stereo since 1970, have several turntables, receivers, amps, speakers, and plenty of smart TVs, along with PCs and laptops (that I've built), etc., etc., not to mention I've been building and selling amps and DACs for over 15 years, along with programming my own websites, etc., etc.

You know what. I was really trying not to get mad but I admit I did make me a little mad. Maybe I shouldn't have, and now that I read your first comment again, I suppose I just took it the wrong way. My apologies.

Jul 14, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #11 of 11
Just got the DAC, and I'm able to use the toslink digital out to send the source signal from the TV and Oppo player to the DAC, which I'm really happy about. I can turn off Zone 1 and turn off my speakers which is nice. I ordered a long toslink cable to set up the DAC and amp on my night stand, and XLR connectors to make my own xlr cables. I've been using a long headphone cable which I look forward to eliminating and getting a balanced headphone jack.

I haven't listened to it yet other than to confirm it's working. I'll let you know how I like it. In the meantime I found this.

"When I obtained an Oppo UDP-205 media player, I was heartened because the player used a state-of-the-art DAC section built around the top-of-the-line ESS “SaberDAC” ES9038PRO DAC chip..." ..."Both the Schiit Yggdrasil and the super-cheap Schiit Modi Multi-bit DACs performed rings around the ES9038PRO chips in the Oppo on PCM"...

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/revi...-physical-sacds-through-an-outboard-dac-r971/

I have the BDP-103 Oppo, which does not have that "state of the art DAC" so I'm pretty happy with my choice, without even listening to it yet. Somehow I don't think I'll regret this choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back