Joshua Tree Gold CD...worth $200? Also when is U2 gonna remaster their albums?
Apr 24, 2007 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

isamu

100+ Head-Fier
OK first of all, I am seriously considering picking up the 24KGold Remastered version of the Joshua Tree. They're asking like $200 for it though I'm wondering if it's worth it? How much better do you suspect it sounds over the original pressing? Also is there a gold version of R&H?

Also, when in the flying ***** is U2 going to get on the ball and remaster their catalog? October, Boy, and War are in desperate....I mean DESPERATE need of a remaster! October in particular sound AWFUL to me now. Please tell me someone has heard something about these albums being remastered!

Apr 24, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 22
You mean new or used? I've got a used one I'd sell you for $200
icon10.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by isamu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK , I am considering picking up the 24KGold Remastered version of the Joshua Tree.

Agree with TMonk...and if can be had, the vinyl will sound much better on a dedicated system..do you have a TT?

Apr 24, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 22
I would guess that you could buy a decent turntable for that much; you could then pick up the original LPs far cheaper.

Apr 24, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #7 of 22
Is this the MFSL version? If so, it does sound considerably better than the original. I'm not sure I'd spend $200 on it. See if you can get a used one for cheaper if you love the album.

Apr 25, 2007 at 6:15 AM Post #9 of 22
I'm not crazy about many of the MFSL cds. they sound dark to me. for $200 i would have to hear it first and it would have to be my favorite cd EVER

Apr 25, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #10 of 22
All MFSL stuff I have bought used have cost about 25-50$. I would not waste several hundred dollars for a CD release. I have listened to Joshua Tree MFSL version and yes it is lot better than the original release, not 200$ better though.

Apr 25, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #11 of 22
U2's greatest hits were "remastered" and sound horrible, really horrible. MFSL is what you have to rely on until U2 releases an audiophile-quality run, which may be 20 years from now, who knows.

Apr 25, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #13 of 22
Don't see why they don't, so many other artists have - anyone into Simple Minds? They were from around the same time period/genre (and still around).

They remastered/repackaged all their albums and they sound terrific. I think The Joshua Tree and October could use a GOOD remaster.

Apr 25, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minimauled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not crazy about many of the MFSL cds. they sound dark to me...

That may or may not be true, but my expereince has been that MFSL hybrid SACD discs are very much worth having. The only way you would get my MFSL gold disc copy of John Coltrane's Soultrane is to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

--Jerome

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen_Ri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would guess that you could buy a decent turntable for that much; you could then pick up the original LPs far cheaper.

this is where I was going with my initial post..the analog on the LP will destroy most any redbook playbook, on similar or less adequate systems, antiquated or not...the phono stage and TT should best the CD by a fair margin
Quote:

Originally Posted by isamu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have a turn table, and don't even have room for one
frown.gif

make room, ahem.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back