Josh Ritter
Jan 6, 2006 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

saturnine

Headphoneus Supremus
To anyone here who is a Josh Ritter fan, the new single "Thin Blue Flame" from 'The Animal Years" available 04/04/06 is available for free legal download here: http://www.joshritter.com/v2/thinblueflame.html

For those who haven't heard of Josh Ritter, his music is a little Nick Drake with a little country. His new single is a departure from his previous work (most definately due to the current state of the world), but is nothing short of amazing. Josh doesn't get much attention around here, and it's time that changed
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 11
Kind of a lonely looking post saturnine. Not unlike my own recent Voyager One rave that is now slowly and unceremoniously sinking into the archives
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, Josh Ritter is very good based on the Hello Starling CD I have, and another track that I heard on a sampler that was reminiscent of Steve Earle. Sounds kind of like Bob Dylan at times too, along with your Nick Drake comparison. Maybe a little Springsteen as well. New album should be a good one.

Jan 7, 2006 at 12:04 PM Post #3 of 11
I can certainly join this Josh Ritter appreciation thread. I too have the Hello Starling CD, and I simply love it. I must admit however that the new tune is not to my liking -- and this has nothing to do with the politics. I don't happen to think that the shifts in feelings in the song are particularly well rendered and the well-crafted story (one of the strengths of Hello Starling) has given way to ... pretentiousness, I am sorry to say. I hope not to be as disappointed by the CD overall.

Jul 25, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 11
hi

I just discovered Josh Ritter while searching for good microphones for taping shows. I instantly visited his website and found out that his tour calendar says he'll be only in the USA, not where I live (Switzerland). Oh, wait. He'll be in Verbier, Switzerland the 24th of July. Damn, that was yesterday...
smily_headphones1.gif

regards
nicola

ps: still enjoying my HD-650 with the Creek OBH-21 amp - "relicts" of a more active period of mine here at head-fi...
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #5 of 11
Aug 20, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marximus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's pretty much the best music I've ever heard.

Wow Marximus, that's quite an endorsement! Of course, some of the more skeptical among us may wonder what other music you've heard, but not me! I love Josh. Got it on pre-order, should be shipping pretty soon. What I've heard does sound good. Just hope it's not a Sony brickwall mastering job since it should be a pretty nice recording, done at his buddy Sam Kassirer's Great North studio in Maine, a remote old farmhouse built in 1790. We'll see, can't tell too much from the audio streams. Should easily be one of my favorites of the year.

Aug 20, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #7 of 11
His newest album is certainly different from his older stuff. The sound production is at times odd and warped, but in a good way and interesting way. This is easily one of my favorite albums this year. Go for the pre-order and get a bonus 4-song EP
wink.gif
!

Sep 20, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 11
Had to resurrect this thread as I've been listening to The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter a lot lately. Has anyone else been listening to it? I particularly like "The Temptation of Adam," "To the Dogs or Whoever" and "Right Moves."

Sep 20, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by BassheadJazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had to resurrect this thread as I've been listening to The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter a lot lately. Has anyone else been listening to it? I particularly like "The Temptation of Adam," "To the Dogs or Whoever" and "Right Moves."

Great record, top 5 of they year. Crappy major label sound, but wonderful songwriting and performance. Like this one a lot. Getting a lot of nice critical reviews too, always good to see someone like Josh get their due. Humming bits of "to the dogs or whoever" almost constantly.

Sep 22, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by incognitoedleon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anybody here's interested, newbury comics is offering a free autographed cd booklet when you order from them.
icon10.gif

http://www.newburycomics.com/rel/v2_...pc=88697122562

Damn, wish I'd known about that ahead of time. Ah well, I'm enjoying it either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back