Joseph Grado Signature Products HP 1
Feb 27, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #46 of 65
damn I love the hp series phones ... One day

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #47 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by deaconblues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They were posted nearly 5 years ago :p

x2; however, I'm certain that someone has a picture or two that they could post.
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #48 of 65
I still don't understand why John doesn't re-release the HP1000 as a studio headphone. It obviously has high demand. And it would add variety to his headphone lineup. As it stands, all his headphones have a very similar sound signature...

I can't imagine, that now, with his reputation as a headphone manufacturer, that the HP1000 wouldn't sell like hotcakes for 500$

Feb 28, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #49 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still don't understand why John doesn't re-release the HP1000 as a studio headphone. It obviously has high demand. And it would add variety to his headphone lineup. As it stands, all his headphones have a very similar sound signature...

I can't imagine, that now, with his reputation as a headphone manufacturer, that the HP1000 wouldn't sell like hotcakes for 500$

Grado would price the HP1 at no less than $1400, imho. Its build quality is several notches higher than any Grado out now (that includes the PS1000).

Feb 28, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #50 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado would price the HP1 at no less than $1400, imho. Its build quality is several notches higher than any Grado out now (that includes the PS1000).

Well maybe that's the problem, I doubt studios would pay more than 500, considering most studio phones are already in the 100 dollar range. And those who would pay what John would want for them are audiophiles, who he's already marketing his current phones for.

Feb 28, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #51 of 65
Quote:

I know he wouldn't price them at $500. So, that's not going to happen, but he has a different set of ears than Joe, and he's going for something entirely different.

I'm not sure what that is, but with the departure from the RS-1 house sound, he seems to be trying to combine 3 different sounds (GS-1000, RS-1 and PS-1). To me that sounds disastrous, but I'm sure it's more like a higher resolving GS-1000. It probably sounds nothing like an RS-1 or PS-1 outside of a couple of characteristics.

The HP-2 is a classic that gets it right for those that just want to be dropped off in the studio without anything added or taken away. John tends to add some life and energy into the music (and does that well), but he has always strayed from accuracy and neutral to achieve that. The HP-2 may as well be from another company altogether.

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #52 of 65
Quote:

Well maybe that's the problem, I doubt studios would pay more than 500, considering most studio phones are already in the 100 dollar range. And those who would pay what John would want for them are audiophiles, who he's already marketing his current phones for.

I remember seeing an old Grado catalog where the HP-1 sold new for about $595. The HP-2 was $100 less than HP-1 at something like $495. That was a lot for a headphone in those days.

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #53 of 65
but think of the market value of all the "old shabby" vintage ones if they were released again. I'd be ready and waiting! Aside from that, I guess I agree with some1x that they would be in the 1400 dollar range, and therefore a re-release wouldn't really make them more attainable...

Feb 28, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #54 of 65
Everybody knows by now that I am caught up on the concept of beauty and build quality in regards to headphones. I made a poll about the most beautiful headphones ever made and I have commented extensively about the spray-painted plastic on the yet to be released HD800. So now that several are commenting about the HP1000, I have to add that they, along with the Qualia 010 are my top choices for the most beautiful headphones ever made. They both also have stellar build quality and I wish both companies would reissue them (albeit updated versions).

I would love for John Grado to re-release the HP1000 at whatever price point he sees fit. I guess the challenge would be whether or not the sound quality could compare with the HD800. As much as I dislike the HD800's build quality, it seems without a doubt, that Sennheiser did their homework about what the next level of state-of-the-art headphones should sound like. It would be an uphill challenge for John Grado to answer Sennheiser's new reference headphone even if the HP1000 has better build quality. I think the Edition 8 is in this same boat now and we will see what happens.

One last thought I have regards the RS1 that so many have loved and appreciated over the years. These followers of the RS1 believe there is nothing like wood. Aluminum, carbon fiber, and Leona plastic can't sway the woodies and sometimes when I see pictures of the RS1 and now the RS1i in that beautiful wooden box, my heart melts too. Grado has supposedly made improvements with the RS1i and we are all waiting for the comparative reviews on Head-Fi. My one wish though, is with the updates on the RS1, I had really hoped that Grado would have replaced the L/R plastic adjusters with wooden ones. That would make a real statement just as the all-metal HP1000 made a statement that would've made the Bauhaus proud with its teutonic engineering and elegance. Imagine an RS1i where even the details are made from the same quality of wood as the cups. It would be the epitome of warmth and grace in an age of mechanical reproduction.

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #56 of 65
Quote:

We can always dream!
I fail to see how he would sell the HP1000 for $500 though, while the RS1i is $695, the GS1000i is $995 and the PS1000 is $1695.

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #57 of 65
As of last night, I'm now the owner of a very well preserved copy of the HP-1! I made a "can't refuse" offer to one of my friends and he accepted. He said he could live with his HP-2! Besides, he wanted a new digital camera; so the timing was right.

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #59 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by jackal3642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As of last night, I'm now the owner of a very well preserved copy of the HP-1! I made a "can't refuse" offer to one of my friends and he accepted. He said he could live with his HP-2! Besides, he wanted a new digital camera; so the timing was right.

Congrats!
bigsmile_face.gif
- glad to hear you tracked down a pair.

Enjoy!!!

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #60 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by jackal3642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Congratulations!
Certainly did not expect you do find one that fast...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back