Joseph Grado Signature Products HP 1
Feb 27, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #31 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by jackal3642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where can I get a pair of Grado HP-1 headphones in very good condition? Also, I understand Grado offered a 10' extension cord with these phones. I'd like to buy this item as well.
Thanks,
jackal@bellsouth.net

The only place to find them now is either here in the for sale forum, ebay, or on audiogon.

Are you specifically looking for the HP1, with the polarity switches, or would you consider the HP2/HP3 as well?

Feb 27, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #32 of 65
Quote:

Where can I get a pair of Grado HP-1 headphones in very good condition? Also, I understand Grado offered a 10' extension cord with these phones. I'd like to buy this item as well.
Thanks,
jackal@bellsouth.net

Holy 4 1/2 years thread resurrection!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Not the best way to start a Head-Fi relationship.

Thats said, you should keep an eye with the FS forum, eBay, AudiogoN, and like. They show up once in a while

Feb 27, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #34 of 65
Quote:

Thanks,
jackal@bellsouth.net

Post a WTB request in the Buy/sell forum

Feb 27, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #35 of 65
Sorry, I'm a newbie (only a few days on board - and my 1st post). I guess I should have gone over all the threads before posting; but I'm desperate to get my hands on the HP-1's. Thanks for your response.

Feb 27, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #36 of 65
Quote:

No, I only want the HP-1 (with polarity switches).
Thanks for your response.

Any particular reason? Some feel that the HP2's are superior because it's one less thing in the audio chain to mess with the signal. Also, the polarity switches and additional cabling inside the cup create for more headaches should repair ever be necessary, which is already pretty much non-existent considering Joe is one of the very few that will work on them and the only person in the world with a small amount of NOS drivers left available.

Here, read this excerpt taken from this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/int...-grado-127867/

From all the talk over the years here on Head-fi, there has been hot debate as to who made the better phones, Joseph or John? Each of them had a specific goal in mind and a specific “flavour” of music they wanted to present. For Joseph, he was making phones specifically for the recording industry; they needed to be very accurate, very linear, sharp and detailed. John however was designing for the music lover, the music listener, the person at home, or on the bus grooving to their favourite tune. I covered this in my comparative review of the RS-1’s and HP-1’s and 2’s. Polling the folks online, it would not be a landslide for either Grado, some love the HP-1000’s others love the current Prestige and Reference lines. Whichever one loves, it would be difficult to argue that either of the top offerings, HP-1’s or RS-1’s were not revolutionary at the time, and perhaps still are.

In the beginning of John’s “reign” as chief Grado, which took place in 1990, the company was hurting with as little as $300,000 in sales. In fact, before John took over, Joseph Grado was very close to closing the doors of his beloved company. John remarked how the late 80’s and early 90’s were the market lows for both headphones and cartridges. Redbook had fully unseated vinyl at this point and Sony’s “Walkman” craze was clearly established and in fact, the “Discman” was out and it too was catching on and the kids sure weren’t turning to vinyl! At this point as well, DAC’s started to become quite proficient and with tricks like upsampling and oversampling, CD players started to actually sound good! Even with the poorly mixed and mastered recordings of the 1980’s! This speaks nothing of the increased proficiency in digital mixing and mastering after ten years playing with the media. It seemed even audiophiles started to dump their turntables in favour of a good cd player. Grado began as a cartridge manufacturer and eventually moved into turntable manufacturing as well as producing tonearms and speakers. Yet, in 1963, everything was dropped save for cartridges. With Joseph’s invention of the stereo moving coil cartridge, he was able to refine this design such that true audiophile grade carts were available to the world. They sold like hotcakes and the decision was made to focus on what was working and selling best. What was best then seemed certainly to be the death-blow to one of the oldest family-run audio manufacturers in the world, and one of the most innovative audio companies period . Perhaps to help sales out, Joe Grado had begun designing a very high-end headphone to be used in recording studios near the end of his tenure at Grado. This signature series which we all know and love as the HP-1000 series was actually never meant to be called the “HP-1000 series.” In fact, Joe had created the HP-1’s which were then called HP-1000’s. That was to be the only headphone Joseph ever designed; however, during the building process, (btw, it was John who built every single one of them, and there were only 1000 TOTAL, not 1000 of each type but 1000 of the HP-1000’s that’s it that’s all!!!) they tried building an HP-1000 without the phase switch. This was a much easier build (John holds a special place in his heart for the HP-1’s, but I don’t think that is a , those phase switches were a PITA to assemble and atvery good place present he is the only one who knows how to fix any problems with them) process yet all of the cups had already been screened with HP-1000, so the decision was made to call the HP-1000’s with the phase switch the HP-1’s, the HP-2’s the ones without and the HP-3’s the ones wherein the drivers were not matched as closely. The end result would be a revolutionary line of audiophile-grade but more important truly pro-grade dynamic headphones called the HP-1000 Signature Series.

As an aside, is anyone interested in knowing how to tell HP-2’s and HP-3’s apart? No? Okay, I won’t spill the beans on that. Oh what’s that I hear? Some threats of castration? Heh, no need to get all uppity and everything! The answer is…..on the underside of the pads, just like we tell the production number of the Reference series and the Pro series! On each HP-3, it was clearly marked HP-3. This HP-3 is easily rubbed off though. Ah crap then…how can we really know if someone can just rub it off? Well, for one thing, only 50 HP-3’s were ever made! Yep, that is a fact! The number is 50 max, likely less. The first batch of drivers were not as closely matched as possible (where the matching of the drivers was less than the .05 db) and so the decision was made to sell them at a cut below the HP-2’s. These would be paired up and shipped out as HP-3’s. However, on the later runs, the drivers were all able to be matched to .05 db. Therefore what was sold as HP-3’s were usually HP-2’s. That means, of the 50, the majority are up to HP-2 spec anyway, or in a word, HP-2’s rebadged. For those of you with definitive HP-3’s, John said he could not tell the difference in most trials between any of the models. The HP-3’s are so close or dead on exactly like the HP-1’s or 2’s. Another thing, the HP-1’s and 2’s, sound identical to him as well. There should be no difference in the sound at all. The only difference in sound should be equated with the cables if at all. Regarding cables, and this is interesting…only TWO cables were ever produced for the Signature series. The first is the Standard Joseph Grado Signature Cable, and then the second generation or the Joseph Grado Ultra-Wide Bandwidth Signature Reference Cable. But waittaminute…what about those HP-1000’s that came with a cable without any writing on it? Those, folks, are equipped with the RS-1 cable. Some of the phones had to be recabled and those that were, were recabled using the newest cable. I find it very very interesting that those who have heard all three cables have nearly unanimously agreed that the unmarked cable is the best. How many times have I read that Joe was the master and that much was lost on his apprentice John? Could it be that in fact, John does know what he is doing and that as I already stated, the priorities and/or goals are simply distinct? What is also important is that John was working full-time at Grado during the development of the HP-1000’s. Having assembled each and every one, he is keenly aware of their build quality, the production costs and most importantly, their sound. Above all, it was during the production of these HP-1000’s that John took over the company. I think I’m back on track now, aside finished.

Feb 27, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #38 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He can't until he has the required number of posts.

oh, didnt think of that.

hmmm maybe start a new thread here with a better title then
smily_headphones1.gif

On second thought, that might be against the rules...?

I am useless regarding this matter I am afraid...

Feb 27, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #40 of 65
Good Lord, Subtle! What a wonderful post to quickly orient a newbie! Thank you so much for taking the time to get to the heart of the matter. The history of all of this is overwhelming...fascinating...almost euphoric!

Maybe I'll consider the HP-2 or HP-3 after all; but there's something about the HP-1's that intrigue me - I love the look with those little phase switches. I have a friend who has them and they are sexy!

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #41 of 65
Quote:

Good Lord, Subtle! What a wonderful post to quickly orient a newbie! Thank you so much for taking the time to get to the heart of the matter. The history of all of this is overwhelming...fascinating...almost euphoric!

Maybe I'll consider the HP-2 or HP-3 after all; but there's something about the HP-1's that intrigue me - I love the look with those little phase switches. I have a friend who has them and they are sexy!

You're quite welcome jackal, and welcome aboard here at head-fi. I owe it all to Zanth though. His amazing interview makes all of that information easily accessible.

We have a little trade saying of "welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet", but you look as though you're prepared to sustain such damage immediately upon arrival. Your tastes are quite refined, seeing as though you're going after one of the finest headphones ever created right from the start. Nice choice! I have two HP2's myself.

I hear you with regards to the intrigue of the HP1. The polarity switches give that particular headphone an extremely unique and individual look. They do seem to pop up decently often so keep your eyes peeled. You should be enjoying one in no time at all.

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #43 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by paara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh, didnt think of that.

hmmm maybe start a new thread here with a better title then
smily_headphones1.gif

On second thought, that might be against the rules...?

I am useless regarding this matter I am afraid...

That would be bad!
Circumventing the "posting in the FS forum" rules...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Stick to the rules and watch out for those for sale threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back