Jolting Drama from a uDAC - Galvanizing Rhetoric Requested!
Mar 8, 2013 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Funambulistic

100+ Head-Fier
Salutations Head-Fi Community!

I have been an admirer of this fine site for some time and recently joined (this is my first post and, unfortunately, will come in a plea for well informed advice).

I currently use a NuForce uDAC (I believe it is a 1, though the driver shows up as a 2). If pressed, I will find the box wherever it is stashed, but for reference, it does not have RCA outs. I think it is a fine unit, much better than my home laptop or work tower soundcard, but, like many on this site, have come to find the sound rather pedestrian. Neutral? Yes, quite. Exciting? No. Of course, adding the Digizoid ZO2 in the mix does liven things up quite a bit, even with the bass contour set at minimum (closet basshead that I am, it rarely is). Perhaps, as someone suggested on aother thread, adding a powered (5V) USB hub might give the uDAC that requisite shot of Mezcal to bring the party. I was considering the iFi iUSB, but this is for work (I’ll save the major expenditures on ancillary equipment for home use). Alas, I ramble and none of this is the gist of my query (though I am always open to suggestion for a nice upgrade).

I am experiencing a bad case of static electricity and subsequent discharge (of the electricity, mind you – I know how you guys and gals think). Shocking, I know (haha – I kill myself sometimes…). It varies depending on what ‘phones I am listening to (through my IEMs I can hear little pop-pop-pops as I roll across the carpet to access another part of my desk; my mostly metal cans bring Thor down from the heavens to practically defibrillate me). The result of all this electric chicanery is that my uDAC will (a) lose a channel (b) shut off completely or (c) cause whatever music is playing to be very distorted in an odd, computer-like way (think Autotune, only cool and a bit freaky sounding). Invariably, there is a very loud "thump", which cannot be good for computer, DAC, headphones or my hearing (through Skinnerian conditioning, I have learned to remove said headphones before touching anything in the signal chain). Usually all it takes is a twist of the dial to shut the unit off and back on again for things to be “normal”, other times all components have to be unplugged and, well, replugged. If I leave my desk, be assured that a “reset” is in order when I return.

Now the wheels are turning in my obviously stimulated brain (who needs the caffeine when a few kilovolts are dosed several times a day?). Is this a fault of the unit itself? Is it a function of USB powered equipment? Should I “ground” myself? If so, how should I go about it and is it a hassle, considering I am to and from my desk quite frequently ("Jim, I am an Interior Designer, not a Computer Scientist!")? And, the most important question: should I replace this obviously aging and antiquated piece of equipment with something shiny, new, properly shielded and, most likely, beyond my budget (pleasesayyes pleasesayyes pleasesayyes – jkg)?

Has anyone reading this experienced a similar circumstance and, if so, what did you do to rectify it? Any and all advice and expectant questioning is most welcome.

Thank you in advance!

funambulistic

Mar 9, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 7
This seems like odd behaviour, and it could be due to any number of things. First things first, try and eliminate all this static before you start replacing components. Is your equipment properly grounded? Make sure all plugs and connections are secure. Are all components in the computer hooked up properly and didn't accidentally clamp any wires anywhere. 

Try discharging yourself by touching a lightswitch (generally the screws holding down the plate will be grounded, unless they have thick paint over them). 

Maybe get a humidifier? An excessively dry environment generates a lot of static. 

Have you tried a different usb port?

Mar 11, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 7
I appreciate the response, Armaegis!

When using my laptop at home, this is a non-issue. It is the computer at work that is giving me fits. My work station is all millwork (i.e., laminate over MDF or plywood) mounted to a gyp board on 2x pony wall. There is not much metal in the construction to speak of, much less to provide a ground. The closest metal of any note is the pedestal file about 30” away from my monitors. The computer tower sets on my work station behind my monitors and everything (computer, monitors, work phone, cell phone charger) are plugged into a power strip setting on the floor via a grommet. There is not a light switch within 30’ (this is an open office environment) and no way to control the humidity. Of course, the floor is carpet…

There are two USB ports on the computer. The first one, I use for the uDAC, the second is for a 4-port hub, which I use for my flash drive and whatever else that may need connection to the computer at the time (transferring photos from camera or phone, charging my e-cig, etc.). I have plugged and unplugged cables, switched the ports, used just the USB cable and plugged the flash drive directly into the computer, switched USB cables (10” that came with the uDAC, a generic 1M cable, and an “audiophile”  1M NuForce cable [I got it drastically on sale and it looks really sweet – no discernible audible difference]). The only thing that really helps is to (a) sit still or (b) touch the uDAC as I scoot around. The problem is, though, I have to get up and move about the office and that is when the trouble starts. I experimented with touching the metal pedestal, the computer and the monitors, but to no avail.

I guess the main thing is, aside from the hassle and the new facial tick, I do not want to cause damage to any components involved (especially my headphones, of which I have become quite fond – that “thump!” surely cannot be good for them). And even though I suffer from constant upgraditus, I do not wish to replace my uDAC unless I can find a product that is rather “immune”, if there is such a thing. Of course, I have not seen anything from a manufacturer that says “SHOCK RESISTANT!” right there on the label…

Quote:
That's the uDAC2HP, a preamp-less, headphone amp (HP) only, version.

Thanks for the info, ProtegeManiac!

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 7
Where/when do you normally discharge? When you adjust volume on the udac?

Have you tried an antistatic mat? One that actually grounds properly (either to an outlet, or often times to the computer case). Heck, in a pinch you can even try just running a piece of wire and make sure it touches bare metal on the computer case and leave the free end near your station so you can use it to discharge. 

Jul 12, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 7
Just an update:  I got a new job and the problem(s) went away. So, when all else fails...
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back