Jolida JD2A High End HP amp
Jan 17, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by wadiaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I am Australia-based and can't seem to find where to buy the Jolida, but I can get the Ming Da. I see you have / had one and I was wondering your thoughts in comparison.

The Ming Da is nice - rich timbre, and full tones in a big soundstage.

I think the Jolida does slightly better in detail, imaging, instrument separation with inner detail, resolution of timbral nuances, and low level resolution.

If you can't find a Jolida dealer that carries this headphone amp (many Jolida dealers do not) in your area then http://www.cattylink.com can supply you for less than $400 USD air expressed.

Jan 17, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #17 of 27
My Jolida is on truck for delivery.... Like a kid on christmas, I keep looking out the window when I hear a car go by.

Jan 18, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #18 of 27
Is JD2A a OTL design? I don't see any transformer from outside.

Jan 21, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #20 of 27
Hi,

I have the G&W T2.6F (tubes RTC E188CC) ,senn HD650 recabled and CDP Jolida 100S tweaked completly

drarthurwells, you have the same no??, can you tell me please what differences do you find with the jolida ?

sorry, but I don't understand this :
Quote:

seems to have V1, V2, V3 and V4 sections in the amp unit. V1 and V2 use 12AX7 tubes, and V3 and V4 use 12AU7 tubes.

confused.gif

how choose the section you want use ??

that means that you can remove 2 tubes and the amp work good ??

sale my G&W and buy a jolida...

Jan 21, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by siezien /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I have the G&W T2.6F (tubes RTC E188CC) ,senn HD650 recabled and CDP Jolida 100S tweaked completly

drarthurwells, you have the same no??, can you tell me please what differences do you find with the jolida ?...

Art: The amps are similar in soundstage and imaging. The G&W has slightly sharper tone edges and more bite to transient attacks than the Jolida. The Electro Harmonix 6DJ8 is a bad tube with the G&W - the Philips USA 7DJ8 (or even the Philips USA 6DJ8) was best for me. However, the G&W has a slightly lean tone body that richer tubes can not help because the richer tubes blurred imaging and induce a euphonically distorted tone. The Jolida wins out over the G&W with more tranparency, better inner detail, and better resolution of timbral nuances - the tones and soundstage are slightly more natural.

The Bada 12, Jolida and Doge are better than the G&W for me although the G&W is an excellent amp. The Bada 12 has mosfet reliability problems but has excellent dynamic impact, nice full and sharply imaged tones, and good weight to the music. The Doge excels in timbre - choral voices are heavenly, and has slightly more weight to the music than the Jolida but slightly less than the Bada. Now these characteristics can be manipulated to some degree with tube changes but you sacrifice something to gain something else, in tube changes. The mark of all four of these amps is the capability of sharply defined 3-D imaging where tones are pinpointed in empty space and not blurred together at their edges. Many tube amps depend on timbral differences in the tone body for their imaging but have a subtle blurring of tone edges that make different instruments mesh together. Instruments sound separate because of their separate timbres but lack empty "black" space between them. This is liquidity - a jelly like soundstage, and makes for smoothness while blurring tone edges and, thus giving softer imaging. I like minimal liquidity - only that which is on the program source (which depends on miking techniques in recording).

Quote:

sorry, but I don't understand this :
confused.gif

"seems to have V1, V2, V3 and V4 sections in the amp unit. V1 and V2 use 12AX7 tubes, and V3 and V4 use 12AU7 tubes."

how choose the section you want use ??

that means that you can remove 2 tubes and the amp work good ??

Art: Use two 6Z4 Chinese rectifier tubes in the separate power supply section. If you properly rewire the tube socket pins (switching two wires to two pins) you can use the USA 6X4 rectifier tubes and get some sound improvement.

In the amp section, use two side-by-side 12AX7, 7025, 5751, 12AT7 tubes in the rear (nearest the power input cable). Also use two 12AU7, 5963, or 5814 tubes in the front, again side-by-side, nearest the headphone plug.

You must use all six tubes and they should be in place (and a headphone plugged in) before turning the amp on and while it is on.

Quote:

sale my G&W and buy a jolida...

Art: Some people would prefer the G&W. I prefer the Jolida. Each has its good points. You can change the sound to a bigger degree with the Jolida since it allows different input and output tube combos whereas the G&W does not have any such combo possibilities.

Jan 22, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #23 of 27
siezien - I have a Dr appointment today and I couldnt do it last night, but I will try to write up what I have observed between the amps and cans that I have tried so far. So I will try to get to it by early this evening.

Jan 23, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #24 of 27
OK, I have done a preliminary test using the Jolida with the AKG 710's and the HD 600's. Let me start by saying this isn't a totally even comparison. For 1 the HD 600's are well broken in and have a cardas cable. 2nd, there is a synergy between the HD 600's and the Jolida that is missing with the AKG's. This is opposite with the AKG's on the Meier Aria where the 701's excel and the HD600's are flat.

Anyhow, First I listened to the only 2 America CD's I own as they have a wide range of vocals, acoustic and synthisized guitars and great drum beats. The albums are caled History and America from (1972). I listened to the 701's first. primarily because they were already plugged in as I am trying to give them plenty of play time to break in. I remember my initial feelings about my HD600's and when I first got them my SR-60's sounded better quite honestly, so this review or brief summery may change over time. After using both through both, and between the 2 albums you listen to a few songs twice giving me extra time to look for nuances. The HD600's definitely have better synergy with the Jolida. They do well with a deep tuby sound (And from drarthurwells I am told there are better tubes which should furthur the distance). As I noted in other threads, the 701's seem more like what I expect a reference can to sound like, never having had a true reference can myself. This may explain why it sounds better on the Aria than the 600's do, while I have found the SR-60's are pretty much at home on just about anything from direct out of an iPod to the Jolida or LD II. Anyhow, thats the best I can do for now as I don't think the 701's are broken in to match the 600's and the cardas cable makes a big difference. I haven't found if the 701's can be recabled.

Apr 9, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #26 of 27
I havent done this test, but back to the original question after allowing the K701's to really break in, I feel they sound much better than the HD600's. Granted this is my personal opinion, but in the last 3 weeks or so, my HD600's have been collecting dust. I am considering selling them now as I really haven used them and when i do I usually re listen to the music with the 701's and find I like the sound much better. The 701's have become my everyday listening can's except for my iPod where my SR60's are a mainstay. I may even consider trading the HD600's for better grado's. What do you guys think would be a fair trade for HD600's with a 10' Cardas upgrade as far as grado's go so I know what to ask for? Also, I like the Jolida so much I have got rid of all my other home amps except my X-Cans which no one seems to want (don't know why it's a very nice hybrid amp), and my Total bit head for my iPod which I will probably keep till it dies.

May 4, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #27 of 27
I was wondering where I could purchase these from? I live in england, I looked at that cattylink website and can't see it there, the website confuses me as well, where else can I get it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back